Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 4x4 Talk

NCV3 4x4 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 4x4 Sprinters.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:27 PM   #21
grantwilson
VanGoOutdoors

Default Re: Expedition One/Odin Group Rear Bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadHamster View Post
Honestly Grant's modular rack is the best I have seen for many reasons, though RB has some nice kit just VERY overpriced.

Grant-if you buy something and it sucks, and you say as much, it makes you an experienced critic. If you personally build something better you may be biased. If you are abrasive and condescending, only then are you an asshole. Truthfully, you can be a biased asshole and still be 100% right. For the record I would hazard you are neither biased nor an asshole ;)
Ill take it lol.

Van Go Outdoor Outfitters - St. Augustine, FL
The ONLY Certified Adventure Wagon dealer and installer in the SouthEast
Authorized Dealer for Dometic, Ripplewear, Tern Overland, Van Compass and more!
www.vangooutdoors.com
www.youtube.com/GrantWilsonFL
www.Instagram.com/SprincentVango
grantwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grantwilson For This Useful Post:
Onefin (11-15-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 01:05 PM   #22
brianszero

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...t=61384&page=2
I also would never buy a rear bumper set up from aluminess. You can read the post above the problems encountered trying to get this bumper installed. I did eventually get it on and working "poor to ok". After over a year of use I have the same experience as Offroadhampster. The latches are a pain and I have to do a little latch "dance" in a particular sequence to un latch each swing arm. I actually try to even avoid using the back doors as much as possible. The galling is an issue if I haven't opened it in as little as a week.
For those interested in the bike mount on that swing arm. I would caution a big "good luck" down the road. My boxes with the small amount of weight thats in them become harder and harder to operate over time. I can't imagine what the weight of my mountain bike added to the swing arm would do over the same period.
brianszero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:46 AM   #23
Smokedporter

So thought I would jump in on this one. I have the backwoods front and love it. Customer service was really good. Evan was super nice and very responsive. Since then I’ve been looking for a rear bumper. I decided on the Oden for a few reasons.
Mainly, I want to modify it to carry my 19’ KTM 690 on the back along with the spare tire. So I spent a bunch of time on the phone with James. Super helpful.
I don’t have it yet and hope to get it by the end of the week. He is sending me a raw steel one so I can modify as needed along with a spindle and latch so I can fabricate my own bike carrier.
He seemed to think that a 350ish pound bike would be do able if the rack was designed correctly. My plan is to have it rest on the bumper face so the weight is only all on the spindle when it’s open. I also want to get it up high enough so I don’t loose to much departure angle.
For me the other deciding factor is towing. I have a 5000lbs trailer I tow. The backwoods keeps the factory receiver hitch while the Oden has its own. That appears higher than the stock one.
I was concerned that the Oden hitch wouldn’t be able to since it’s not rate for that. “Off road use only”. After talking to James I’m comfortable using it to tow my trailer. It sounds like the cost to get it certified makes it too costly to try to get it market. Hope this helps somebody. Will try to post updates when it comes in.
Smokedporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:49 AM   #24
JFloFoto

Just got mine. Pretty awesome so far.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
JFloFoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:29 PM   #25
MERLEANDSARAH

Looks really good. How long did it take to install it? Any change in your departure angle?
MERLEANDSARAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:43 PM   #26
JFloFoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLEANDSARAH View Post
Looks really good. How long did it take to install it? Any change in your departure angle?
I removed the OEM bumper myself before heading to the shop. It took the shop guys about 3 hours to build the Odin bumper and arms then install it on the van. I will wire up the license plate and other lights later

Departure angle is improved IMHO as the bumper is higher with the hitch receiver built into the Odin design.

JFloFoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:44 PM   #27
Onefin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFloFoto View Post
Just got mine. Pretty awesome so far.

License plate and bumper both look good.
Onefin is offline   Reply With Quote