Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 07-07-2019, 03:07 PM   #731
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,686 Times in 5,621 Posts
Default Re: T21 Emissions Recall Notice

Another thing that can cause display-doesn't-turn-off is a failure of the "key in ignition" switch.

That issue would cause the warning chimes when you opened your door.
(when mine doesn't notice i've pulled the key, a simple re-insert/remove usually clears it)

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:46 PM   #732
Preston
04 Sprinter, 118" Cargo

I had the recall update done by a local Dodge dealer. Yes, the instrument cluster light stays on and hopefully they will be replacing that today. There doesn't seem to be any other changes to the van except for the turn signals started working intermittently since then. Has there been a connection (no pun intended) between the two before?

Thanks!
Preston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:40 AM   #733
99sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ions82 View Post
According to the VIN # recall check on the Mopar site, my van (2004) had the T21 recall completed. However, there is no date recorded of when it was done. The battery in my van will die if it sits for a few days. The ODO stays illuminated for a while after it's been shut off. The other day, it was still on after 15 minutes but was off after driving it and then being turned off for 30-45 minutes. It seems like I remember seeing it stay on overnight once. Do the problematic consoles have random power-down times like that? Is there a sure way to determine if it's a replacement? The CEL light was on when I bought it, and it was saying it needed a new MAF sensor. Replaced it (was awfully dirty) along with the dustiest air filter I've ever seen. Codes cleared, CEL still on. I bought an Autel scanner (MD805), but I can't use it because the plug won't go into the van's OBD2 port. I ordered an extension to see if that will go in. This van is fightin' me! I don't mind it being a little feisty as it runs GREAT. Once we get these kinks worked out, it'll be an awesome road warrior.
Without knowing your codes, its hard to say what is causing your MIL, but your situation sounds like mine. I recently bought a former FedEx van that had had the T21 recall done. New MAF would not clear MAF codes or MIL. MIL was light all the time - code was reset as soon as the engine started. As detailed in the thread link below, I had several problems, but after calling Doktor A, determined that MAF initialization was needed after all repairs were made to clear the MIL - this was difficult to diagnose since MAF initialization is not listed in any Dodge documentation (not a thing on T1Ns, only in NCV3 service manual) as it was only added to T1Ns with the T21 recall. Pull your codes with a good code reader and consult the following thread if you have any of the codes mentioned there.

As I do not have a 2004, I did not have any instrument cluster issues from the T21 recall (I had IC and traction control parameter mismatch issues, but that was a whole other problem).

If you are in the LA area, I have a Xentry and may be able to help you, depending on what your codes reveal.

Good luck!

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=75797
99sport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:42 AM   #734
neelymoto

California owner of 2006 Leisure Travel 210B on a 2005 Dodge TIN chassis with GDE tune here, checking in to see if anybody has found a competent dealer to do the recall in the Sacramento area? My every-other-year smog cert is due with the next renewal in October and there doesn't seem to be any way around getting the recall done.

Also, GDE advised that I should uninstall their ECU tune and reinstall the original. Is that really necessary?
I am uneasy about somehow getting stuck with an erased ECU!

Thanks for any advice.
neelymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:50 AM   #735
GaryJ
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelymoto View Post
California owner of 2006 Leisure Travel 210B on a 2005 Dodge TIN chassis with GDE tune here, checking in to see if anybody has found a competent dealer to do the recall in the Sacramento area? My every-other-year smog cert is due with the next renewal in October and there doesn't seem to be any way around getting the recall done.

Also, GDE advised that I should uninstall their ECU tune and reinstall the original. Is that really necessary?

Thanks for any advice.
Folsom Lake Dodge did the recall on my 06 chassis motorhome. All went well. I canít comment on the GDE tune.

Gary
The Following User Says Thank You to GaryJ For This Useful Post:
neelymoto (08-03-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 03:55 AM   #736
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,686 Times in 5,621 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for any advice.
First, i'd recommend submitting your Sprinter's VIN to https://www.datamb.com/
That will yield your MB "datacard", listing everything MB built into your van... and its build date.
"Early" 2005s have the same instrument cluster issues that 2004s have.
I'd worry a bit if yours was built before (let's say) Jan 1, 2005.

MB will be wiping out your ECU's contents as part of the recall, so you'll lose the GDE tune.
(you could put it back in afterwards, i don't know if the old software will work with the new instrument cluster. I'd tend to think it might.) If you DO want to restore your GDE tune "after the recall", try to capture the recall firmware as a backup copy first.

Here's the "recommended dealerships" thread: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=70872

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
neelymoto (08-03-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 04:00 AM   #737
jsrmonster

I recommend you get your ecu firmware (entire memory not just tune) backed up before you return ecu to stock. Then get your factory emissions firmware update and state certification/registration satisfied. Than have your old firmware (old sw ver and tune) restored to your ecu. This process must be done on the bench by a competent tuner, not a reseller. Very few of us tuners, thousands of resellers that are clueless to this procedure. ;-))

Quote:

Thanks for any advice.
jsrmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsrmonster For This Useful Post:
neelymoto (08-03-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 02:07 PM   #738
hyperlogos

Quote:
GDE advised that I should uninstall their ECU tune and reinstall the original. Is that really necessary?
Since when does GDE offer a tune for California vehicles?

If you can back that up, a lot of other people would be interested in the file :p
The Following User Says Thank You to hyperlogos For This Useful Post:
neelymoto (08-03-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 02:21 PM   #739
Bobnoxious

Thanked 4,930 Times in 3,534 Posts

In the event subsequent ECU firmware revisions prove worst for performance and economy, I want a copy of my current ECU file with suspected emission defeat algorithms. Who and how much does this service cost?
Bobnoxious is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobnoxious For This Useful Post:
neelymoto (08-03-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 02:00 AM   #740
neelymoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryJ View Post
Folsom Lake Dodge did the recall on my 06 chassis motorhome. All went well. I can’t comment on the GDE tune.

Gary
Thanks Gary I'll check with Folsom Lake Dodge.

And thanks to the other members for replies on the GDE tune issue. I had the GDE tune installed a few years back, but am advised by GDE that the new recall software to be installed will prevent the GDE tune from being reinstalled or patched in for California vehicles. So, I see no reason to save the existing ECU tune data. Seems to be unique to California. Am I missing something here?

I am concerned about the early 05 manufacture date issue for the instrument cluster and will look into that. Update: got the recommended Vin decoder search and good news - mine is 8/05 manufacture date.

Last edited by neelymoto; 08-02-2019 at 10:12 PM. Reason: update
neelymoto is offline   Reply With Quote