Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:24 PM   #51
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,700 Times in 5,629 Posts
Default Re: Turn signal intermittent Repaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by 158wb View Post
Also I see engine start control module included, however my van appeared to start correctly without fuse 6 inserted.
Yes, trying to track down how/what/where/why the "start module" did is what spawned my "egad!" comment. I still haven't figured it out (ok, ok... nor wasted more time on it).

I'll look into "does fuse 6 subsequently power fuse XX?" ... that's in the "power distribution" section of 8W. ... i'm going to guess that it doesn't ... they normally don't cascade small fuses.
(?? by "next to it", do you mean in the diagram, or in the fuse box??)
The diagram's Fuse 9 (on the left) is from "always powered", whereas Fuse 6 is powered from the ignition switch. Those are not cascaded.

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))

Last edited by autostaretx; 06-14-2019 at 11:27 PM.
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:38 AM   #52
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,700 Times in 5,629 Posts

I think i figured out the "meaning" of those "sideways arrows to nowhere" ...

They mean that that Fuse in Block 1 (FB1) connects via internal copper bars (or wires) to other components that are also a part of FB1.

Here's page 8w-10-21 ... where the "bottom" of fuse 6 connects to the wiper system and also (via pin2 on C3) off-board:

8w-10-21-Fuse-6.png

Fuse 9 is totally separate from Fuse 6 ... the feed into Fuse 6 comes from the ignition switch.

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))

Last edited by autostaretx; 06-15-2019 at 12:42 AM.
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 01:40 AM   #53
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,632 Times in 8,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autostaretx View Post
I think i figured out the "meaning" of those "sideways arrows to nowhere" ...

They mean that that Fuse in Block 1 (FB1) connects via internal copper bars (or wires) to other components that are also a part of FB1.
--dick
I came to basically the same conclusion, but that doesn't help the fact that they aren't at all labelled, and that where the arrows go does matter when attempting to follow/troubleshoot using the schematics.

Another revelation for those who haven't figured it out.

The "Wiper/Turn Signal/Engine Start Control Module" label isn't a specific reference.

Wiper/Turn Signal/Engine Start Control Module = Fuse Box #1 aka FB#1.
The FB#1 module includes all of those functions listed.

The power from Fuse #6 is just one of the power feeds within the module. The power inputs don't all necessarily relate to starting or ALL functions. Some are specific to one of the sections/circuits.

Then again. I'm also still learning so FWIW.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
158wb (07-01-2019), autostaretx (06-15-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #54
158wb

OK, I think i understand what was happening. My hazard/flashers/e-lights switch would turn on the turnsignals, when I had fuse 6 pulled, because the blinkers are are powered through 9, and able to be activate by the hazard light switch independently. Normally however, they are activated by the multi fuction switch when the ignition is keyed on, through fuse 6 (even though this is called wipers, only). I think.

My confusion arose when my turn signals operated with the hazard lights switch activated but not the turn signal when fuse 6 was removed. If Im not mistaken above, this makes sense now.