Rear Differential gear oil change

One suggestion:

LOOSEN or REMOVE the FILL PLUG 1st

If its frozen, now is the time to find out, not after you've dumped all of the oil out. :thumbup:
Normally that is excellent advice.

The [NAS aka NAFTA 2004 - 2006] T1N fill plug is a rubber stopper type.

vic

Last edited:

Mickyfin

Great info guys, I have a 2011 VW Crafter with the 2.0 TDi engine, I have started to hear a whining sound from my rear differential when I reach 100kmh so I plan on renewing the rear diff oil soon.

I wish to renew the filler, and drain plugs though, and having a hard time locating them locally, I believe the part number is WHT003327 for the filler plug, which is now obsolete according to the online EPC VAG sites.

The part number for the drain plug is WHT002291, and shows still available, my question is, do any of your guys know if these two plugs are actually the same?

Mickyfin

Ok cool, its just that I'm concerned that the washer has been spoilt, and may not seal it up sufficiently.

Mickyfin

OK, I will get back to you on that when I have removed them, VW Crafter as you know is pretty much the same as a Sprinter seeing they were both built in the same factory in Germany.

Mickyfin

Well I had time today to set about renewing the rear diff oil, but found the fill hole has a rubber plug, and the 14mm hex key I purchased is too small. Anyone know which I should get, is its 16mm, or is it the same size as the wheel bolt size, 19mm?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
MB usually uses 14mm, VW has used 17mm from my previous experience. I would measure, but you can use a couple of nuts stacked on bolt, combined with a regular wrench. Easier than buying a new hex key.

Mickyfin

Turned out it was 17mm in the end, refreshed the differential oil, but the whining sound I get when I reach 100kmh is still preset, but only there whilst accelerating.

From what research I've done, it is possible the propshafter centre bearing? The whining sound I hear when I hit 100kmh whilst accelerating sounds like its coming from the rear of the van.

Mickyfin

Bit of an update, I've put the van in neutral, and handbrake on, and then got under the van to check the UJ's, and bearings, and these are all solid, and actually look new, so now, I suspect the whining sound is a wheel bearing, as I'm also getting some brake squealing from one side at the rear, does this sound plausible'?

Curious Sprinter Tech,
Are you sure about this?
Here's a photo of the MOPAR Rear Differential Fluid most recommended for '02-'06 T1N Sprinters:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPRINTER-AXLE-DIFFERENTIAL-LUBRICANT-OIL-MOPAR-OEM-/330355238354
You can see that it says "Sprinter" right on the label!

For the later NCV3 Sprinters (906 series NAFTA) the MB BEVO 231.2 Page 2 says
for 906 (NAFTA Sprinters to use MB BEVO 235.8!

Here's a link:
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/235.8_en.html
No where in all of this MB official information can I find any reference to
"75W-140 synthetic Gear oil".
All of the above indicates 75W-90 synthetic hypoid oil or 90W hypoind gear oil.
The MOPAR product may not be synthetic as it carries no MB approval number, but
it was recommended lube for Dodge T1N Sprinters ('02-'06) and used by most knowledgeable
Dodge Sprinter dealers.
The later NCV3 Sprinters (906) all need "synthetic 75W-90.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger - Can you confirm that 2007s call for a differential fluid change as well. Im going over maintenance tasks and did not think to change the dif fluid in our 2007. If I recall the 2007s are missing some options in the later models - but i am assuming I should still be replacing the dif fluid every so often. (Im sure what I am thinking is missing in the 2007 relates to emissions and not drive train) - If so Im looking up how to and changing the dif fluid asap.

Thank you as always.

sailquik

The Heaven Van;
Do you have the original Owner's/Operator's Manual that came with your Sprinter?
If you do, the full maintenance schedule is most likely listed.
These manuals may still be available online at the Dodge or Freightliner Owners manual sites.
The books are identical, the Dodge manual says Dodge throughout and the Freightliner is identical except it
says Freightliner throughout.
Looks like you can download the 2007 Owner's Manual for free at this site:
https://manuals.co/workshop/mercedes/sprinter/2007-dodge-sprinter-owners-manual/2312
Maybe someone on the group has a 2007 USA Spec Sprinter Service booklet.
That would have specific info on the recommended frequency for changing the rear differential gear lubricant.
IMHO, since it's very easy to do, and it's also easy to find the approved lubricants, it's probably wise to change
it every 60k miles or maybe 75k miles.
See what the manual has to say.
Here's some more info specific to your question:
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9081&highlight=2007+Owners+Manual
Another question.....if you have a 2007 Sprinter, why are we discussing this in a the T1N specific forum section?

Roger

Last edited:
I called my local stealership. They want $45 per quart of the sprinter specific gear oil. Umm...

So i found the 2005 service manual and looked at the lubrication section.

http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/05 service manual.pdf

Copied from the manual:

REAR AXLE
• Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant SAE 75W-140

Quantity: 1.8L (4.0 pints)
Yeah, I bought 75W-140 Synthetic, non-MB Gear lube, drained the muddy mess out of my 2002 and it's been fine the past 5 years.

*NOTE my Sprinter has a screwed in fill plug, which was a beast to get out... To avoid not being able to refill it, check to see that you can get the fill plug out, BEFORE you drain it! :thumbup:

ClyneSnowtail

Yeah, I bought 75W-140 Synthetic, non-MB Gear lube, drained the muddy mess out of my 2002 and it's been fine the past 5 years.

*NOTE my Sprinter has a screwed in fill plug, which was a beast to get out... To avoid not being able to refill it, check to see that you can get the fill plug out, BEFORE you drain it! :thumbup:
Good enough for me! Amsoil Severe Gear 75W140 it is then!

Copied from the manual:

REAR AXLE
• Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant SAE 75W-140

Quantity: 1.8L (4.0 pints)
Yep. :thumbup:

2002ManualOilSpec.jpg

AND...
the differential design has not changed from NAS aka NAFTA 2001 - 2003 to 2004 - 2006. As a practical matter, it follows that synthetic SAE 75w-140 would apply to the newer T1N's as well (regardless of 2004 - 2006 Operator Manual specification).

Some data is here.

Differential Rear End and other Fluid History
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71681

Also note that DOT 4 brake fluid was specified back then.

:cheers: vic

ClyneSnowtail

Yep. :thumbup:

AND...
the differential design has not changed from NAS aka NAFTA 2001 - 2003 to 2004 - 2006. As a practical matter, it follows that synthetic SAE 75w-140 would apply to the newer T1N's as well (regardless of 2004 - 2006 Operator Manual specification).

Some data is here.

Also note that DOT 4 brake fluid was specified back then.

:cheers: vic
If it was changed to Sae 90 later, it would purely be for fuel economy. Personally I'd rather have it last me and not have to do any work vs. .01% better fuel economy.

Top Bottom