Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > The Competition

The Competition Discussion of other vehicles similar to the Sprinter; Transit, Promaster, etc.
SubForum: Write-Ups

Old 01-09-2019, 08:00 PM   #1
lindenengineering

Thanked 10,044 Times in 5,124 Posts
Default Expect a few changes with the big boys

This came my way today:-
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...paign=campaign

Dennis
lindenengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lindenengineering For This Useful Post:
Deancm (07-11-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 10:18 PM   #2
flman
In Transit

Thanked 4,588 Times in 3,516 Posts
Default Re: Expect a few changes with the big boys

Well lets hope they are not bailed out again on our dime.

BTW, put new brakes pads on the Transit, mounted the snow tires, and put the rear tires on the front. Lets keep this somewhat on topic.
flman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:44 PM   #3
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,629 Times in 8,653 Posts

It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds. When we replaced my wife's 1995 Buick in 2015 I looked into EV. For our use it really would have been a logical choice as to range, charge time, etc. The problem for me was the initial cost vs a conventional engine vehicle, and the fact that our annual miles were/are so low any mpg benefit was negligible. Another issue was that if we keep the car as long as typical (1995 Buick to 2015... perhaps unrealistic for a Hyundai) a battery change would be necessary.

We put our money into an Elantra. 40 mpg on a trip. So far so good. Time will tell.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:45 PM   #4
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,699 Times in 5,629 Posts

This is the week for CES ... the Consumer Electronics Show currently happening in Las Vegas.

Monday was the dog-and-pony period for the "tier suppliers" ... the companies that build the bits that are integrated into the whole-car systems. All of the chatter is focusing on Autonomous vehicles, but many of the subsystems will be appearing in (enhanced) "normal" cars as well.

Some of the presented systems are at the "Level 4" state of control.

One video was of a real situation where a Toyota test car (on a 3-lane one-way highway, not a test track) ... with the auto-driving turned off (but sensors still active) had an "incident" ... the driver (in the passing lane) violently sneezed ... and side-swiped the left barrier. He then crossed all the way to the right breakdown lane (i can't recall if he spun 180 degrees or not) and stopped. His road-crossing caused the two cars behind him (one in each lane) to hit each other as they tried to avoid him.
Upon replay "back at the lab", the (remember: wasn't engaged) Toyota auto-driving software claimed that it (a) wouldn't have hit the barrier (unless the driver, as he did, yanked the wheel left) (b) would've then recovered by *accelerating*, to give the trailing cars no cause to deviate from their paths.

That video (and YouTuber analysis) starts at about 15:20 into this video: https://youtu.be/HyLg_pO_TjE. It replays a number of times during the commentary.
They do a run-up commentary starting a couple of minutes earlier, discussing how "smart cars" will be watching (and trying to help) even under manual control.

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))

Last edited by autostaretx; 01-09-2019 at 10:51 PM.
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (01-09-2019), lindenengineering (01-10-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 10:57 PM   #5
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,629 Times in 8,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autostaretx View Post

One video was of a real situation where a Toyota test car (on a 3-lane one-way highway, not a test track) ... with the auto-driving turned off (but sensors still active) had an "incident" ... the driver (in the passing lane) violently sneezed ... and side-swiped the left barrier. He then crossed all the way to the right breakdown lane (i can't recall if he spun 180 degrees or not) and stopped. His road-crossing caused the two cars behind him (one in each lane) to hit each other as they tried to avoid him.
Upon replay "back at the lab", the (remember: wasn't engaged) Toyota auto-driving software claimed that it (a) wouldn't have hit the barrier (unless the driver, as he did, yanked the wheel left) (b) would've then recovered by *accelerating*, to give the trailing cars no cause to deviate from their paths.

--dick
Just recently I commented to my wife that with all of the advances in driver safety enhancement we may trade in the Elantra for safety feature improvements, not rust or reliability deterioration.

As I mentioned above, the problem again is the low miles per year and expected driving conditions for our use. We rarely travel with her car, and we don't live in a metropolitan area where freeway type heavy traffic is common. Our risk factor is rather low.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 01-09-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:18 AM   #6
Boxster1971
2012 Sprinter 3500 Ext

I just bought a 2019 Chevrolet Bolt EV to replace my 2001 Toyota Prius. The Bolt is a great car for my needs as a city/suburb car. I have a garage and a Level 2, 240V charging station in my garage. My electricity cost to run the Bolt is less than half the cost of gas for the Prius.

But there is a ways to go before Electric will work for everyone, especially for long drives. I use my Sprinter for longer road trips. All the media hype on EV's and autonomous driving are a bit overly optimistic in my view. In the USA EV's are mostly compliance vehicles and the only one selling any significant numbers is Tesla.

The future should be interesting.

Edit: Just noticed the Bloomberg article called in the Chevy BOLD - cute so much for editing.

More - that article has a lot of erroneous info like: "An electric vehicle never needs antifreeze" my Bolt has three independent liquid cooling loops that require normal Delco anti-freeze. It does require replacement every five years or 150,000 miles. I'm attaching the Maintenance Schedule form the owner manual. It won't have to go to dealer very often except to keep tires rotated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (105.5 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by Boxster1971; 01-10-2019 at 02:31 AM.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:11 AM   #7
Graphite Dave
Dave Orton

Thanked 4,672 Times in 2,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Edit: Just noticed the Bloomberg article called in the Chevy BOLD - cute so much for editing.

Web Site: http://ortontransit.info

U-Tube Video: https://youtu.be/h5L6TZdy_y0
Graphite Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:35 AM   #8
Boxster1971
2012 Sprinter 3500 Ext

What a bunch of Bloomberg BS:

"Piecing together a decent electric vehicle is becoming an exercise in shopping more than a masterstroke in manufacturing: sourcing a good battery, finding solid suppliers for motors and other commoditized parts. Widgets that canít be bought are increasingly spun up from a 3D printer."

This is pure fantasy!!
Old 01-10-2019, 03:44 AM   #9
glasseye

Thanked 1,626 Times in 873 Posts

So, once vehicles' AIs can communicate with each other, they can cooperate to avoid accidents. What a concept.

"Travels With Frito" Global travels by van, motorcycle and other www.petercmclennan.com

Absent this forum, I'd never have bought a Sprinter.
glasseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:12 PM   #10
HarryN

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasseye View Post
So, once vehicles' AIs can communicate with each other, they can cooperate to avoid accidents. What a concept.
Sort of. The real concept behind this is to increase highway packing density.

In other words, the vehicles will be operated with very little space in front of and behind them so that more cars can be on the road at the same time. This partly makes up for poor planning on the part of people in charge of road transportation.

When a person drives, through a combination of instinct and training, we tend to leave enough distance between cars so that we can react to changing traffic conditions.

In these high density approaches, this spacing distance will be very small - far too small for a person to react if something goes wrong.

Think about the experience - going 70 mph with 1/2 of a car length in front of you and everyone else. Sort of like a roller coaster ride. If the car automation goes out, it turns the controls back to you to "figure it out".

Instagram WirlNet
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HarryN For This Useful Post:
lindenengineering (01-11-2019)