Audio 20 radio

byakima

Just picked up a new Sprinter with the Audio 20 radio. $900.00. There is NO inout jack for an aux ipod. On page 29 of the owners manual it says it is behind the control panel. Not true. I called the Sprinter tech hot line and was told to hire someone to put all of my books on tape on CDs. Not a good answer. He said that it is a commercial vehicle not for passengers. I did not know that commercial drivers do not listen to anything but a radio. The only solution is a new radio. Anyone want to buy a brand new audio 20 radio. With blutooth. So sorry I bought this.

SPRINTERUK

HERE TO HELP
hi
mercedes changed the sound 20 from 2010 we are still working on a aux lead to plug your mp3 player in,
at the moment they only offer a i-pod kit (over $320.00)
our lads have tried a few leads and getting closer

regards
chris

psalm66

Re: Audio 20 (and Sound 5) radio

hi
mercedes changed the sound 20 from 2010 we are still working on a aux lead to plug your mp3 player in, at the moment they only offer a i-pod kit (over $320.00)
regards
chris
I have a 2010 with a Sound 5 radio. Page 32 of the Sound 5 Operator's Manual says "You can connect an external audio source (AUX) to the Sound 5 Radio. The jack needed can be found to the side behind the instrument cluster."

I am interested as I have an IPod (MP3 device) and want to play the music on it as soon as I can. I have no idea what they are talking about. "The side" of what? The radio? :idunno:

Does anyone have a picture or clear description as to where this jack is and how do I access it? So many questions ... so little (good) music.

byakima

hi
mercedes changed the sound 20 from 2010 we are still working on a aux lead to plug your mp3 player in,
at the moment they only offer a i-pod kit (over $320.00)

regards
chris
Well! Not bad. $900.00 for a radio and another $320.00 for the ipod kit. I am sure the hourly rate to install is another $100.00 per hour. We are talking $1500.00 for a radio that we are not sure will work. You have got to be kidding.

cedarsanctum

re: Member
Seems the price has come down on the radio since 2007, but my memory of those details is not reliable. It also had no jack for MP3's, and the 'phone' built into it would not work on our cell networks because it's designed for Euro specs. Basically, you do not get what you pay for.
Ours also came with a 6 disc changer that played MP3 discs, but we used it exactly once just to try it. After installing the jack i got from Chris Case, the only thing the radio ever plays is an iPod or iPhone. I even took the mast off the antenna so it wouldn't get snagged on trees and break, again.
Suggestion for new buyers; unless MB puts a radio in that is up to spec on current technology (bluetooth, aux inputs, USB port, anything), you're better off just getting an aftermarket radio, and speakers.

byakima

Seems the price has come down on the radio since 2007, but my memory of those details is not reliable. It also had no jack for MP3's, and the 'phone' built into it would not work on our cell networks because it's designed for Euro specs. Basically, you do not get what you pay for.
Ours also came with a 6 disc changer that played MP3 discs, but we used it exactly once just to try it. After installing the jack i got from Chris Case, the only thing the radio ever plays is an iPod or iPhone. I even took the mast off the antenna so it wouldn't get snagged on trees and break, again.
Suggestion for new buyers; unless MB puts a radio in that is up to spec on current technology (bluetooth, aux inputs, USB port, anything), you're better off just getting an aftermarket radio, and speakers.
I wish I had known this before. I asked everyone at the dealership and everyone told me that it was all compatible.

blakej59

Frankly, I think the radios on these vans is the worst radio I've had in any vehicle ever. The Sound 20 is expensive, has poor reception (expecially AM), costs too much and isn't much for sound quality. MB could use a lesson on radios from any competitor.

Jim
2007 model

935dc

agree with all the above. i like oem, but makes more sense to go aftermarket route (which im doing).

byakima

The local Porche/Audi dealer sells German cars with great radios. It can be done. Sprinter told me that these are commercial vehicles not meant for passengers. I am pulling this radio. Which aftermarket radio are you looking at?

935dc

byakima: i prob need to start another thread for feedback, but im looking at the new pioneer x930bt or the alpine w900bt. everything integrated (nav, dvd, ipod, backup cam, bluetooth, pandora, etc). i dont want crap mounted all over the place.

Sageeidolon

Sorry you are having such difficulty. I plan on ordering just the basic Audio 5 and then having a double-DIN aftermarket unit of my choosing installed. Anyone see any issues with this plan?

So it appears that the name upgrade from "Sound XX" to "Audio XX" did little to help the audio quality? Do they still have a security code on the manure pile?

Sorry you are having such difficulty. I plan on ordering just the basic Audio 5 and then having a double-DIN aftermarket unit of my choosing installed. Anyone see any issues with this plan?
Sounds like a way to get the wiring you need. Make certain it includes rear speakers. If it doesn't have them it's unlikely that the wiring for them will be there unless MB has changed production modes. If an option isn't ordered with the vehicle the harness wires are not installed.

Oh, and there have been some comments about needing to bring a "key on" wire over to the aftermarket radio head unit as the OEM doesn't have one. I believe some people have tapped the cigarette lighter power? Double check that it is switched before using that though. Good luck. vic

Last edited:

xxtra

You need to have the Dealer activate the aux function first. IIRC, connect to 4,9,10 pin on the black connector.

djsincla

Purchased a new van with the Audio 20 to replace my 2004 Sprinter. Dealer activated the Aux Input on the radio. I purchased the Aux cable but looking at the quad lock on the back of the radio, there are aux wires in plug that go somewhere. Worst case is I pull the plug with at the AUX wires from the wiring harness and replace with Aux Input cable I purchased.

I have the steering wheel controls and I do like the integration between the radio, wheel, and multifunction display.

Any idea where the factory Aux input wires go to?

Dwayne

Last edited:

Top Bottom