Reset engine light?

stp57

This morning I let my 2006 2500 w/77K miles go a bit lower on fuel than I normally do. It took 24.5 gallons to fill. I got my diesel at the usual Valero & 15 miles down the freeway I experienced a substantial loss of power. I was able to drive it home, it just didn't have any passing speed & it never got over 65 mph. No warning lights at this point.
When I got home I changed the fuel filter (26K miles on it) & took off. It ran great for another 15 miles or so on the freeway & started the same problem, this time the engine check light came on & has remained on. When I got to my destination & the engine cooled, I have had no problems for the rest of the day. I drained off a quart of fuel off the filter this afternoon just in case there were any contaminants.
The resonator looks great, as well as the other components. Will the engine check light go off on it's own if I have corrected the problem?
Steve

Ciprian

Spark Plugs not allowed!
This morning I let my 2006 2500 w/77K miles go a bit lower on fuel than I normally do. It took 24.5 gallons to fill. I got my diesel at the usual Valero & 15 miles down the freeway I experienced a substantial loss of power. I was able to drive it home, it just didn't have any passing speed & it never got over 65 mph. No warning lights at this point.
When I got home I changed the fuel filter (26K miles on it) & took off. It ran great for another 15 miles or so on the freeway & started the same problem, this time the engine check light came on & has remained on. When I got to my destination & the engine cooled, I have had no problems for the rest of the day. I drained off a quart of fuel off the filter this afternoon just in case there were any contaminants.
The resonator looks great, as well as the other components. Will the engine check light go off on it's own if I have corrected the problem?
Steve
Yes, if you have corrected the problem the check engine light will go off by itself after a while. However, I doubt that you corrected it just by draining some fuel. You need to see the code to properly diagnose and fix the problem.

stp57

Man, this forum is such a lifesaver! I replaced my resonator with the eliminator (it showed slight leaking) & it made no difference. I then pulled off the upper intercooler hose (Bulbasor's elephant trunk) & sure enough, it had a 3" long slice in it. It was under the hose & I could not feel the opening. I have seen for awhile now a little oil residue on & around that hose & as reported on this forum, a little residue is normal. In this case, it was a bonifide leak.
I had forgotten how good my Sprinter was supposed to run! No more problems with hills & overpasses! I was really beginning to believe that my tranny was going out! My mpg's have been hurting lately (19 mpg) & I bet that it will improve now. I had blamed the poor mpg's on two months of 100F days. I changed the whole intercooler assembly & the air temp sensor, plus my serpentine belt. I've kept a stock of these parts for over two years now waiting for this day. Time to restock.
I can't wait till the engine check light goes out.
Steve

Damomango

Man, this forum is such a lifesaver! I replaced my resonator with the eliminator (it showed slight leaking) & it made no difference. I then pulled off the upper intercooler hose (Bulbasor's elephant trunk) & sure enough, it had a 3" long slice in it. It was under the hose & I could not feel the opening. I have seen for awhile now a little oil residue on & around that hose & as reported on this forum, a little residue is normal. In this case, it was a bonifide leak.
I had forgotten how good my Sprinter was supposed to run! No more problems with hills & overpasses! I was really beginning to believe that my tranny was going out! My mpg's have been hurting lately (19 mpg) & I bet that it will improve now. I had blamed the poor mpg's on two months of 100F days. I changed the whole intercooler assembly & the air temp sensor, plus my serpentine belt. I've kept a stock of these parts for over two years now waiting for this day. Time to restock.
I can't wait till the engine check light goes out.
Steve
Hi Steve where was this hose you’ve described? There is a hose with a build up of grease/oil on the left side coming out of the top of the engine where the injectors are, does this sound familiar?

GaryJ

Here since 2006
This thread is 10 years old. I don’t think you can expect a reply from stp57. Maybe someone else can help though.

Gary

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Hi Steve where was this hose you’ve described? There is a hose with a build up of grease/oil on the left side coming out of the top of the engine where the injectors are, does this sound familiar?
The greasy hose you describe is the crankcase breather outlet, and exits the oil recovery device under the valve cover and feeds into the turbo inlet hose (hiding under the heat shield).

Are you having an issue with your MIL aka Check Engine Lamp?

-dave

Top Bottom