Ladder inside rear doors?

Instead of a ladder on the back of the rear doors, how do we feel about mounting the ladder on the inside of the door? Open the door 270 degrees (or maybe just 90?) and climb on up. Are the hinges and the door itself rigid enough for that?

It would take a more interior space, but I think a clever hinge system could reduce that when stowed, then extend out from the door for toe room when climbing.

Why? More stealthy, security for goodies on roof, aesthetics, (maybe) better aero.

Instead of a ladder on the back of the rear doors, how do we feel about mounting the ladder on the inside of the door? Open the door 270 degrees (or maybe just 90?) and climb on up. Are the hinges and the door itself rigid enough for that?

It would take a more interior space, but I think a clever hinge system could reduce that when stowed, then extend out from the door for toe room when climbing.

Why? More stealthy, security for goodies on roof, aesthetics, (maybe) better aero.
Hinges are not rated for that kind of weight. The doors need to be closed when climbing the ladder to ensure the hinges do not bend under weight.

Is it possible - sure... but im 230lbs and not stress testing for benz haha.

We have an extendable ladder form amazon stored under our bed.. does the trick. With that said rear ladders look awesome and well be buying one shortly. haha.

Another ladder idea I came up with for access to my roof rack which does not mount to the rear door is, I bought a tall RV ladder that curves around at the top and slides into holes in a 2by4 on the roof rack while the bottom of the ladder is strapped down onto a Harbor Freight aluminum luggage carrier mounted in the tow hitch. It is very easily removed when not needed and can be stored inside if I am on a road trip and need to get up there. The rest of the time the ladder is stored in my garage.

This ladder curving around at the top provides safe handles a couple of feet above the floor of the rack to transition from the rack to the ladder and back down. It is made of one inch tubing and is light enough to be easily handled. The steps all have plastic traction pieces on the one inch tubing for barefoot comfort.

I never wanted to mount a ladder to the rear door, and like the security if I am storing gear up top with no ladder permanently providing access. To each his own. Thanks to all here.

Another ladder idea I came up with for access to my roof rack which does not mount to the rear door is, I bought a tall RV ladder that curves around at the top and slides into holes in a 2by4 on the roof rack while the bottom of the ladder is strapped down onto a Harbor Freight aluminum luggage carrier mounted in the tow hitch.
I'm not quite picturing that. Got any pictures?

Thanks for your feedback, @The Heaven Van. That is what I expected to hear.

sprint2freedom

2008 NCV3 170ext
Just get a collapsible ladder. Way more practical than a fixed ladder, IMO. Fast to stow and deploy, easily moved around to allow access to different parts the roof without playing twister to avoid putting weight on your solar panels etc. No chance of hitting or hooking anything with your ladder when driving down a narrow road or backing up, and no issues with vagrants climbing onto your roof while you sleep. Also works for non-van uses. Just slide a section of foam pipe insulation on the top rung to protect your paint.

Good one about the collapsible ladder. Storing it inside is much easier and takes up less space than my removable long RV ladder.

My ladder curves around and back down at the top and slides into locking holes on the floor of the roof rack. Strapping it down on the bottom secures it tightly. I do like the projection above the floor of the roof rack for handles when transitioning onto and off the rack. Now if I could make it collapsible that would be even better. Thanks for the thought.

Last edited:
Following up...I have found it is not too challenging to open the door 90 degrees and climb up dirwctly on the hinges. It helps that we have a pretty high bed in the back. I can get on the roof easily enough... Although I wouldn't attempt it with a cooler full of ice on my back!

I think one or two small flip-up steps bolted inside the door frame (not the door itself) would make this a no-brainer.

Something like this...

Attachments

marklg

I got this foldable ladder. It folds down and just fits across the back inside the doors.

It is strong enough, but slightly precarious. It is good to hold onto something else for balance when using it.

Regards,

Mark

radair603

Just get a collapsible ladder. Way more practical than a fixed ladder, IMO. Fast to stow and deploy, easily moved around to allow access to different parts the roof without playing twister to avoid putting weight on your solar panels etc. No chance of hitting or hooking anything with your ladder when driving down a narrow road or backing up, and no issues with vagrants climbing onto your roof while you sleep. Also works for non-van uses. Just slide a section of foam pipe insulation on the top rung to protect your paint.
Yes, exactly what I did. It's really handy for other uses besides the van too.

Top Bottom