Batteries - NCV3 conversion

ricksmith

We have a 2016 Roadtrek Agile it has a battery under the floor on the drivers side and a battery in the engine compartment. Why two batteries?

sailquik

Re: Battries

ricksmith,
The battery under the drivers side floor board is the engine starting battery.
All NCV3 Sprinters have that battery hidden away in a nice sealed compaartment under the floor between the seats.
The "house battery" or Auxiliary battery in the engine compartment was added (either at the factory when the Sprinter cab/chassis
was assembled or by Roadtrek when they up fit the vehicle) to power all of the things in the coach areas of the RV.
There should be a battery isolator that prevents the coach area of the RV from discharging the main engine starting battery, but
the isolator also allows the alternator on the engine to charge both batteries when running/driving.
Hope this helps,
Roger

autostaretx

Erratic Member

The battery under the floor is the Starting battery ... that's the standard position for the NCV3 Sprinters.

The battery under the hood is MB's Auxiliary (house) battery. I would expect the Agile to have better/more batteries elsewhere.
(does the one under the hood have an MB "star" and part number on it?)

--dick (added: is there an echo in here?)

added: go here: http://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/owners-resources/owner-manuals
and fetch an MB 2016 Owner's Manual for the beast.
(verify if yours is a 2015 or 2016 chassis ... many RVs have a year-previous undercarriage)

Last edited:

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.

I don't know specifics about the Roadtrek Agile, but in general the following is true:

The battery located under the driver's footwell area in a Sprinter is the vehicle's starter battery. The battery in the engine compartment is most likely an auxiliary battery, either one that MB put there or one that your coach conversion company put there.

If in fact the battery under the hood is an auxiliary battery (also known as the "house" battery in an RV) then it is probably being used to power RV devices (lights, pumps, accessories, things like that). It is separate from the starter battery so that it can be drawn down to a lower state of charge without compromising the vehicle's ability to start when needed. The auxiliary battery probably charges from the vehicle electrical system when your RV is running through the action of a relay. When the RV engine is shut off, the relay opens so that you can't draw down the starter battery.

(I think there are some people including myself who need to get a life...)

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)

rick smith -- are you sure there's just one battery under the hood? Our 2015 SS Agile has two there and a second pair in front of the trailer hitch (under the floor)....

Top Bottom