What Hwy Mileage does your 4X4 get?

What Hwy Mileage does your 4X4 get in US MPGs?

• 10, 11

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12, 13

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • 14, 15

Votes: 20 15.3%
  • 16, 17

Votes: 67 51.1%
  • 18, 19

Votes: 30 22.9%
  • 20 +

Votes: 10 7.6%

• Total voters

Flagster

Usually cruise around 60-66 mph, 50k miles, 144" 4x4...18.5mpg since new average, light build, no racks/accessories, 245.75.17s Michelin atx ms

Moto Vita

I answered the poll with the 16-17 mpg as that's pretty typical for me, but today I drove 300 miles across Montana at 70-75 mph, climbed 3 mountain passes, and got 18.5 mpg. Makes me wonder if they sell better fuel in Montana.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
I answered the poll with the 16-17 mpg as that's pretty typical for me, but today I drove 300 miles across Montana at 70-75 mph, climbed 3 mountain passes, and got 18.5 mpg. Makes me wonder if they sell better fuel in Montana.
More likely, you were getting a gentle push from Mariah.

logged 400+ miles round trip to a spot in baja.. Cruise control set at 55mph but with the 285-75 16 duratrac mt its more like 58mph. 19.8mpg. That was my best. worst goes down to 14mpg at 75mph

Ski Trip

i am at a solid 21 highway confirmed again on my last 3 tanks of fuel. the big question for me is how much will that change when I switch from (stock size) vancos to (stock size) dura tracks (or similar commercial traction) tires?

12-13 MPG highway and 8-9 in the city. Checked tire pressure: Good. Removed ladders and ladder rack off the roof thinking it may be drag. Gained 1 MPG. Took out my tools and bins so I had an empty Cargo area. Gained another 1 MPG. Went to MB and complained and insisted they do a firmware update. They did it and I Gained another 1 MPG. I can't work without my tools, bins and ladders. Diesel isn't cheap either. I tried just going from CT-MA 65MPH on the dot. Same MPG. MB doesn't have an answer. I plan to sell it in two years and get into something more economical and something I do not have to worry about where I do a lot of stop and go being in the middle of a regen cycle.

Motosicko

2017 3500 4x4, 18k miles, stock Vanco tires, 8060 weight, full conversion with only solar panels and 2 Maxair vents on top, no awning or roof rack. 16 - 17 mpg traveling 70 - 80 mph mostly highway. If it is anything like my Dodge Ram Cummins diesel ( I wish ), I expect mileage to increase after 100k when it is fully broken in.

OffroadHamster

Just finished out a 2,915 mile trip and averaged ~17.8mpg from CA-->UT-->WY-->CA. Lots of mountains, windy deserts, hot weather, cold weather, stop and go in Yellowstone. Set cruise at 70 mph indicated where possible (76mph actual speed). Outbound we scaled 8,675, back was likely around 8,400. 33x11.5 Falken Wildpeaks and all this hanging off the back

Vanzer Pagen

Just came down the 395 with cruise control set at 65mph (68 actual speed with big tires) and a 35mph (avg, I think) headwind. Onboard dash said 16.8, gps and gallon count came to 16.7.
Don't know if that was before or after the solar panels blew off. So much for saving money by owning a diesel and camping :(

VanGoSki

Just came down the 395 with cruise control set at 65mph (68 actual speed with big tires) and a 35mph (avg, I think) headwind. Onboard dash said 16.8, gps and gallon count came to 16.7.
Don't know if that was before or after the solar panels blew off. So much for saving money by owning a diesel and camping :(
Sorry to hear it. Any wisdom to be shared on how this may have happened? How were they mounted?

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4

My brother-in-law lost his solar panels In Yosemite Park. Unfortunately the car following behind was damaged slightly. I believe he had used a combination of VHB tape and sheet metal screws.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Farfrumwork

Returned from a grandparents mid-west tour last week (with a short trip to Paris without the kids thrown in!) - about 2500mi (of driving).

GPS speed of 75-77 across eastern CO and Nebraska saw ~16.4mpg
From Des Moines to central WI on secondary roads (more interesting anyway), speeds 55-62mph saw 19.0mpg
Central WI to Duluth, then west on more 2 lane hwy, speeds again in the 55-62mph range saw 18.5mpg
Then we pushed a headwind across N Dakota at 75-77mph that yielded ~14.5mpg

I calculate all MPG via miles traveled and actual fuel refilled.

I don't like interstates for a lot of reasons, but they are necessary sometimes. 55-60mph is more comfortable and gives way better fuel economy (duh).

The van is great for road trips!

I am surprised to see that I get 22 mpg when I am in 4x4 low crawling down my hill, but about 20 on the highway going 55-60. All my other cars were the opposite — **** on the dirt and great on the highway.

OffroadHamster

Dude! That makes me nervous, I dont remember exactly how you mounted your panels but I remember thinking you did a better job of it than I did. Hit me up and let me know how the projects are going, havent heard from you in a while.

Vanzer Pagen

Dude! That makes me nervous, I dont remember exactly how you mounted your panels but I remember thinking you did a better job of it than I did. Hit me up and let me know how the projects are going, havent heard from you in a while.
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I'll share my solar panel loss details as quickly as possible:
I chose to use 2 Renogy Eclipse 100 watt panels, and their plastic "drill free" mounts (I thought they looked good) which are molded plastic corners (4) and mid pieces (2)
https://www.renogy.com/renogy-corner-bracket-mount/
I called the company tech line and was told to use a Sika-Flex product to glue them to my top and to glue the panels in. Proper prep was done to all surfaces (sanding, cleaning, etc) as well letting the adhesive cure for about 3 days.
First incident was one of the mid sections let go about a year ago while driving on a freeway. We heard and noise but didn't give a thought, then noticed the mount missing when I got home. It was obvious that the adhesive had let go of the plastic mount. Called Renogy only to be told they would not replace the single piece but I could purchase a set and they would not cover anything done DIY regardless of the fact they recommended the adhesive. And was also told that drilling any holes in the panels will void any warranty as well...
So I pulled off the entire unit, married the panels together with an alloy plate USING THEIR HOLES, drilled and tapped the plastic mounts for 1/4-20 grub screws, re-mounted everything using silicone for adhesive on the mount to fiberglass pop-top surface, and thought I was good to go. What I neglected to do was replace the adhesive between the mounts and panels, thinking the grub screws would do the work. Silly me...

Ran into quite a windstorm last week coming down the 395 Eastern Sierra Hwy. Again, heard a noise, thought something fell out of a interior cabinet and kept rolling. Got to a fuel station and saw jut the wires dangling from the top :( When I got home I climbed up and saw that there was no adhesive on the plastic mounts, and apparently the grub screws couldn't grub enough. Re-ordered new Eclipse panels through Amazon (cheaper than Renogy) because they are a decent value. Tackling the re-mount over the weekend and will post a sepearte thread on that with pics.
But for now bottom lines are:
a) Renogy customer service truly does suck
b) Sika Flex sucks big butt, don't use it for anything! (ok, maybe for sticking a post card to your 'fridge door)
c) ANYTIME you hear a funny noise pull over immediately! I can only hope the panels landed intact in the sage and some lucky bastid found them. Use them in good health bro!

Cheers and I now return this thread to it's regularly scheduled programming.

Proper Piper

Hey, my truck is a 3500 170 high roof with 4.18’s running 235/85-16’s out back (4 of them) and 265/75-16’s on super single rims up front and I weigh about 8800 lbs. Ill see around 16 to almost 18 depending on hills and wind @ 65 mph. The slower I go the worse the mileage gets, just got to keep it rolling. I avg. 11.5 towing my trailer (approx 8200 lbs.) NY to Alabama about 950 miles. And that’s pretty dam hilly I-81 up the hills 50 to 60 down the hills 70/75. 70 on the flats. The trailer is 12’, 15’ including the V nose, long tongue, twin 7500 lb. torsion axles electric brakes. Also the van has one max air roof vent

Last edited:

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
I had an interesting conversation with Joe Russo (from the youtube channel We're the Russos) at the Adventure Van Expo last weekend. He has had a Quigley Transit built by Storyteller Overland for the past few months, and now a Storyteller Overland 2019 4x4 Sprinter (with the 7-speed). The Transit had the Ecoboost and of course the Sprinter the V6 diesel, and he says they both get the exact same mileage, 15 MPG.

Last edited:

wcsprinter

Roadtrippin'
I just recently completed a cross country trip after purchasing the van a week ago. A very light conversion set up as a wheelchair accessible cruiser instead of a camper. My 2016 - 2500 170wb 4x4 handled it really well. With strong headwinds in Utah we averaged 16.8 mpg running around 79-80mph. From Lincoln, NB to Cleveland, OH we averaged 17.6 mpg at an average of 77-78 mph with a lighter headwind.

I knew I would like this vehicle but the drive cross country convinced me I made the right choice. Absolutely love this thing. Driving it through the mountains and in places like Zion and Bryce was fantastic.

Top Bottom