Reversing the Dr. A RSN fix wasn't a good idea

seans

Many years ago, I performed the DARF mod with an official kit from Dr. A. I did not have many miles on the van and really didn't know what RSN was. I *rarely* did have a shudder in certain conditions. I did the mod even though I really did not need to.

(Although... I do wonder if the shudder is transmitted back through the engine to the harmonic damper. I run the best diesel I can find and after about 195K miles I have had no serious engine issues.)

One thing I did not really like was that I may have gone too big with the drill size. The shifting was a bit loose. I told myself that someday I would reverse the mod.

That day was today. I have been chasing a "sensor 3" transmission code for maybe two years after letting the van sit for the better part of a year. The code returns if I don't use the van, and the van stays in whatever gear it happened to be in. Clearing the code with my code reader fixed things long enough.

I *finally* got off my duff and replaced the transmission fluid, which was long overdue. Before that, I used an oscilloscope to check the sensor 3 signal, which looked fine.

While I had the pan off, I removed the plate and used an aluminum-zinc brazing rod and a propane torch to solder the hole shut.

When I put everything back together, I noticed a LOT of RSN. The scanner told me that it started whenever the torque converter locked up, and stopped whenever it released. The only time I did NOT feel it was under hard acceleration, or if I was coasting perfectly, or going so slow that the torque converter was not locked up.

I pulled the pan again and restored the hole, though I tried to make it a tiny bit smaller. Back together, the RSN was completely gone. It also seemed that the smaller hole helped restore some of the snappiness I lost when I first did the mod.

Thanks again to Dr. A for figuring this modification out and letting us know about it! :cheers:

My guess is that when you reversed the DARF fix the transmission adaptives were no longer in synch with the new operating conditions. If you would have performed an adaptive procedure your transmission may have responded properly. That said, you also have a known issue you have been trying to address.

The hole size is critical. You should be fine now.

I've not had any problems with the DARF'd 2004. It was modified during the trial period. If there is a loss of mpg is is slight enough that I don't notice when compared to my non-DARF'd 2006 factory OEM transmission. Both are 140 WB 2500 HC models. I am not obsessed with monitoring mpg though.

:cheers: vic

Last edited:

Roscoe_T

Hi folks, newbie here with a 2006 purchased this spring.

I haven't noticed any RSN in my new ride, but I'm very familiar with it from my years owning a '95 BMW 540i with a "black label" zF 5hp30 transmission.

RSN was a recurring problem with this car until I started using Lubegard products. The first was something called "Dr. Tranny's Instant Shudder Fixx" (true story :rolleyes:). I used two containers of the stuff -- the 5hp30 takes nine liters of ATF -- and the RSN went away.

I have since used the cheaper Lubegard Red and Lubegard Platinum products and have had similar success at a lower cost.

I'm normally skeptical of "miracle in a bottle" products, but these additives apparently have high friction modifier content that reduces TC clutch chatter. That's my experience anyway.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Once you removed the mod, the TCMs adaptation value for the TC clutch circuit was much too high. so the clutch was getting activated at a much higher level. It would have eventually adapted back, but it could have taken a fair bit of driving. You could have a shop with a bidirectional scanner reset the adaptations to factory defaults.

There are several pedal/ignition sequences that purport to reset the adaptations. I have not had any luck with them on the T1N.

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
I think the RSN mod is often misunderstood and definitely overused.
I have people coming in my shop all the time asking for me to do it their transmissions when they have
A. the slightest twinge of RSN
or
B. haven't done any service on their transmission for 100K+ miles

I can usually talk them into doing a full trans service (new filter and fluid, drop the valve body, disassemble the conductor plate and shift sensor and clean everything) which clears up 95% of the RSN and makes the transmission shift smooth and crisp like it should.

If they -still- want any remaining RSN whispers to be removed, I warn them that their mileage may go down along with the smooth, responsive shifting.

While the RSN fix is truly a wonder to behold, I have found that only a small handful of Sprinters that I've seen really need it.

My relatively new to me 2005 2500 long and high van had pretty severe RSN, talked to Doctor A, drilled the #55 hole, carefully, I am a machinist after all..... RSN 99.9% gone, but my freeway loaded, 1200 lbs. approx., mileage went down from 25mpg to 22 or less, and I feel and hear 'slippage' in the TC when accelerating. BTW, just before I bought the van, the transmission had been fully rebuilt by an experienced Mercedes and Chrysler trans shop because it had dumped most of the fluid, maybe out a faulty electrical connector?, and the owner didn't want to take a chance. It was rebuilt using the Chrysler fluid, forget the exact name, according to the rebuilder because it was rebuilt with 'Chrysler' parts. Now that I replaced my bad injector and the van is running as before, I would like to plug the hole and drive enough to check the mileage again. BTW, I have tracked every tankful of fuel since purchasing 25K ago. I read one short post about an aftermarket transmission brace that is supposed to quiet RSN, but haven't found any details yet.

... It was rebuilt using the Chrysler fluid, forget the exact name, according to the rebuilder because it was rebuilt with 'Chrysler' parts. ...
:idunno:

Brand label on the bottle doesn't matter. MB spec does.

As long as it is MB236.10, MB236.12, OR MB236.14 spec transmission fluid it is fine.

:idunno:

Brand label on the bottle doesn't matter. MB spec does.

As long as it is MB236.10, MB236.12, OR MB236.14 spec transmission fluid it is fine.

Oil is Valvoline +4 full synthetic, doesn't carry any MB spec.numbers. Transmission guy said the parts used, clutch packs, are the same as used in Chrysler and Jeeps cars, so he used the oil he normally uses, V+4.

Oil is Valvoline +4 full synthetic, doesn't carry any MB spec.numbers. Transmission guy said the parts used, clutch packs, are the same as used in Chrysler and Jeeps cars, so he used the oil he normally uses, V+4.
It may be what he normally uses, but per MB it's not the right fluid for the Sprinter NAG1 transmission. The MB spec fluid is basically an ATF III formulation.

My opinion.
An ATF III synthetic transmission fluid would be fine even without MB official approval. ATF +4 is the wrong fluid type.

+4 may not hurt anything for the short term, but if it were my truck I wouldn't leave it as is.

I presume I should drain the TC when changing to a MB spec. oil? Thanks!
I would. No filter change. TC and pan drain with extended drip time. Maybe drip overnight? Beyond that I wouldn't worry about the little bit of ATF +4 left in the recesses of the transmission.

:2cents: vic

220817a

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN
Re: Transmission slipping/caughing, hard to diagnose

hi phil,
do you have access to a good scanner to re set the TCM module?..I have a solus pro, and it took a couple of times to get it right..after which, it still seems to take a while to "learn" your driving style...mine nice now.
just out of interest..where did you get the new, un-drilled plate?..i have a drilled one and want a un drilled spare .
cheers.
Erl
Take it to some one that can weld it for you. I welded mine on both side and ground it, sand it, and it works fine. See a picture of it below...

https://mega.nz/#!x6AkwaQS!UXe513vposJ5iS6UTYijvvXValNbaU2nr-elpNSpHZM
View attachment 120374

Attachments

Seans, sounds just like my van...had pretty bad RSN, drilled the .052" hole, too much slippage.loaded freeway mileage went down 2-3 mpg, welded and redrilled to .040", perfect for me now, mileage back up!

Top Bottom