Removing L-tracks

shalev

Hi all,
I'm in the process of stripping down the van before the actual build. I've got some L-Tracks installed along the walls which are a bit tough to remove. After drilling one rivet, i tried to see if i can get a crowbar between the l-track and the van wall, just to see if i'm making progress, but it won't budge. There seems to be some sort of very strong adhesive holding it down, in addition to the rivets. Anyone know how one might go about removing those things? Do i need to heat it up?
Thanks,
Shalev.

Mickyfin

Usually, to remove rivets you do indeed need to drill them, or if you have a dremel type tool, you could try cutting the heads off with that.

The track may have been installed with VHB tape included. There are some solvents which are recommended to soften the adhesive. WD40 was mentioned as one possibility.

Some 3M info is here.

Tape Disassembly of VHB Tape bonded materials
https://www.mountmymonitor.com/v/vspfiles/PDF/J-UTM-Instructions_for_adhesive_removal.pdf

Brian Goldkamp said:
It may not be easy to remove 3m VHB removal adhesive tapes.

Heat

Applying heat is an age old method to remove a VHB tape. You can use a hair dryer to soften the 3M VHB glue. Use heat on the edges of the tape. Then scrap off the glue with an old credit card or a knife. Wipe off the excess with a cloth.

Vinegar

Vinegar can also be used to remove 3M very high bond tape.

Alcohol

You can try using alcohol to get rid of 3M VHB tapes.

Adhesive removers

If you want to remove the 3m tape from a delicate surface such as glass or vinyl, you can use a commercial adhesive remover. There are different types of adhesive removers available online. Such removers can also be used to get rid of grease and other sticky substances.

Other materials

Goo gone, razor blade, and WD-40 are some of the popular materials used for removing 3M VHB tapes.

Thomas G. Goldkamp, Inc. is a leading distributor of tapes, adhesives, and other packaging materials. The company sells high quality products to the clients.
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-best-way-to-remove-3M-very-high-bond-VHB-tape

vic

Pab

Hi there,
I have the same issue but don't want to take the brute force approach.
Has anybody experimented with the glue solvents?
I have tried using some tie-downs + heat gun and didn't have any success, didn't want to go full force and break something.

Top Bottom