Airbag bottle rattle

Kevin.Hutch

2011 Mercedes 313 906
Recently had the airbag recall done and there is now a rattle that sounds like a floating aluminium bottle behind the left-hand dashboard.

Anyone else experienced this as I am 2500k from the dealer that did the job and I wonder if it can wait to be addressed on my return home in December.

Kevin.Hutch

2011 Mercedes 313 906
No, but the SRS light came on a week ago.
A quick search found
"The SRS light is a warning light for your supplemental restraint system (airbags). An SRS light means that there is a problem in the system. The first thing I would check is the fuse for the SRS unit. The only way to check this is with a scan tool of some sort."

"Mercedes SRS light on. In the majority of cases when the SRS light is on on your Mercedes, the fault is associated to the passenger seat pad. In the passenger seat there is an electronic pad that sensors whether the seat is occupied and therefore switches the passenger air bag on or off."

Maybe a close passenger seat connector inspection will find your gremlin. Does it go off with a seatbelted passenger.

The following site also gives some good insight;
www.mercedesmedic.com/srs_airbags/

Last edited:

Bellapaca

Recently had the airbag recall done and there is now a rattle that sounds like a floating aluminium bottle behind the left-hand dashboard.

Anyone else experienced this as I am 2500k from the dealer that did the job and I wonder if it can wait to be addressed on my return home in December.
G'day Kev, we have the 2010 NCV3 319 CDI. Had the airbags done by the mob we bought it from.
I've heard no strange sound that you're talking about. There is the jack and tool kit down under that left hand side dash. I had to wrap the tools in rag so to stop a rattle that they made. Its a quick fix if that your problem? Hooroo, Kevin.

Kevin.Hutch

2011 Mercedes 313 906
G'day Kev, we have the 2010 NCV3 319 CDI. Had the airbags done by the mob we bought it from.
I've heard no strange sound that you're talking about. There is the jack and tool kit down under that left hand side dash. I had to wrap the tools in rag so to stop a rattle that they made. Its a quick fix if that your problem? Hooroo, Kevin.
Thanks that was the first thing I thought of but the navigator insists it is from behind the glove box. I intend seeing how to get in there as the recall only took an our to do so it can not be really hard.

Bellapaca

You might find a misplaced socket or tool rolling around in there?
I hope its a quick fix for you.

I'm sure you'll be very cautious working around an airbag. I've heard they pack a hell of a punch.

Sockeye770

A quick search found
"The SRS light is a warning light for your supplemental restraint system (airbags). An SRS light means that there is a problem in the system. The first thing I would check is the fuse for the SRS unit. The only way to check this is with a scan tool of some sort."

"Mercedes SRS light on. In the majority of cases when the SRS light is on on your Mercedes, the fault is associated to the passenger seat pad. In the passenger seat there is an electronic pad that sensors whether the seat is occupied and therefore switches the passenger air bag on or off."

Maybe a close passenger seat connector inspection will find your gremlin. Does it go off with a seatbelted passenger.

The following site also gives some good insight;
www.mercedesmedic.com/srs_airbags/
Hi Kevin

Thank you for the link.

As the driver & passenger airbags were replaced on the 29/8/19, I suspect the SRS light is probably related to the new airbags installation. If so it should be a warranty issue.

Before I return the 318 back to the stealership, I'm going to have it scanned to find location of the fault, as I don't trust the stealership to admit the fault is caused by their installation.

The light stays on with a seat-belted passenger (I'm always telling my wife to belt up before I drive off).

Our old 2001 316 has had the SRS light on for many years. The scan shows the fault is in the steering column, but no one seams to be able to fix it. I've known of many other Sprinters with the SRS light on. I just figured as long as you have the seatbelt on, don't worry about the light.

michaelh

2015 Unity TB

Hi Kevin, did you ever get an answer to this rattle? We seem to have the same thing (2014 Sprinter). Thanks, Michael

Kevin.Hutch

2011 Mercedes 313 906
No never did find the cause nor did I hear it again, but it was only on rough roads and I have sold the Sprinter, so no further info.

Top Bottom