PNG Image Doesn't Display

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I'm wondering if TalkingHorse's example is showing the effect of some other software on his PC getting an oar in
(like an AdBlocker).
In IE (which i'm using right now), I see the top-of-page advertisements.

It's certainly possible he just hit one that was "all PNG".

Talking? Do you see many/most of the ads "properly", or are they all mangled like that?

Since IE can render PNGs it fetches from other sites, it's the pre-image handshaking that the forum is doing for its own PNGs that's messing it up.
I don't know who's drifting off-standard: it could be the forum is using an ancient "deprecated" protocol (or expecting some nuance to not be rigorously adhered to) or that IE whiffed part of the protocol. There still are many quirks that some old browsers accepted that the standards say
"don't to this!" about.
There's certainly some finger-pointing that needs to be done, but which way it points (and how bendy it is) remains to be seen.
Microsoft can/does/will certainly occasionally hide their collective heads under a blanket and mess up "following standards", but they really have been trying to do a better job of these years.

--dick
p.s. I just loaded and tried the Opera browser... it works properly (i.e. like Firefox, etc)

p.p.s. I'm running through a lot of cycles of "reload the page" with IE.... I still haven't had an advertisement mess up.
Whoops... twice in a row I got:

Admiss1.jpg

and the empty area didn't respond to clicking. (at least it's not showing the "bad grab" icon)

Last edited:

talkinghorse43

Most ads are proper. Strange that I only have trouble seeing images on this website. Every other site I visit is OK. I'm running win 10 and IE 11 & updates to both come automatically.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
So I did some checking and apparently the MIME setting for PNG was set to blank. I changed it to image/png and image/x-png and it works for me using Edge.

Please try it using IE11.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Yup, works for me, too, both in IE and Edge.

thanks sikwan
--dick
(we only had to demonstrate that ad revenue was being lost... :hugs:)

Sikwan,
For the first time in forever I've been able to see .png pictures on the forum.

Windoze 7
Google Chrome

Now I'll be able to see all of Bladerunner's funny pics.

Thanks... I think. :hmmm:

:cheers: vic

Top Bottom