Power shut off to 3rd market radio and power steps

smead

Hi all,

I have a 2017 2500 Sprinter 4x4. I bought it new and have been building it out over the past couple of years.

I purchased and installed a Kenwood head unit over a year ago and it has worked without any problems since installation. Three weeks ago, I installed some AMP power steps and they worked fine for the last 2.5 weeks.

Within the last couple of days, I have twice had a situation where the power steps stop working and my head unit doesn't power up. The vehicle starts fine, and all of the electrical systems seem to work as normal. I have no error codes. Both times that this happened seemed completely random.

The only thing that has changed within the last few days is that I installed a ground from my house battery system to the vehicle. Prior to this weekend the house system was being run isolated. What is strange, though, is that both times this happened, the house system was completely powered off (I have high-amp cut-off switches that disconnect the house batteries so no loads exist).

The first time it happened, I checked the van about 2 hours later, and the steps and head unit powered up just fine without any intervention by me. The second time I disconnected the vehicle battery (grounding post under gas pedal), reconnected it and everything worked fine after that.

I'm wondering if the vehicle's computer is picking up some phantom load that would shutdown non-critical circuits. I'm at a complete loss.

Any ideas?

Top Bottom