Removing rear doors

white whale

What king of trouble am going to get into doing this?

Final steps for rust rehab (around the glass and more) finish paint and glass install. I can do a better job with paint with doors off. Glass would be much easier too.

Mark the hinge locations and support the bottom edge are a given. I have no idea what kind of weight we're into for these. Other suggestions?
I got POR15 on the - pics on another post - the material is really solid.

Re: removing rear doors

Personally I would leave them on and just build a makeshift scaffolding (2 ladders w/ planks, upside down garbage cans etc.)

Gaspiper

When I removed my rear doors to clean rust and paint them this is how I did it :

3 bolts hold each & every hinge to the rear pillars , remove 2 and leave the one that is in line with the hole of the hinge itself and leave hinges attached to doors until you take doors right out . With the doors shut but not locked proceed to remove the last remaining bolt from each hinge on the right door then carefully unlock door , detach and remove !

Do the same with the left door . To put back just reverse the order !

I found that a peace of sticky gasket material ( covering where contact is made ) smeared in grease between hinge and rear pillars will prevent scratches on the pillars if you’re intending to paint there and make door adjustments way easier !

This is a two men job that was possible with one man only .
It worked for me .

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

white whale

Nice job gasman! I was going to swing the door out and block underneath. Good tip. So not a heavy lift then?
Not quite sure I follow the gasket and grease tip.....

Gaspiper

Thanks .Doors aren’t that heavy just long and awkward to lift.

I used a two sided 2” tape , cut to shape ( pre drilled for the three holes where the bolts go through ) and attached to the back of the hinge “where it bolts to the rear pillars “ then used grease between Hinge and pillars to prevent scratches on the fresh paint job .

I also used grease between hinges and doors as well

Last edited by a moderator:

white whale

Ok - so 'gasket tape" remains in place even after doors are set. and the grease lube will allow easier sliding adjustments. Are talking alot of torque to set these bolts too? Arctic White from a can or you went pro?

Top Bottom