Raised Headliner Shelf

Sherman B

Does anyone know if the headliner shelf offered by RB Components for 2007-2018 Sprinters will work in a 2005 T1N? Maybe with a little modification? Are there any other options?
Thanks in advance for any help.

frome

I made mine to come back to the B pillar.
Finished the edge with pipe insulation foam. Saves a lots of sore heads.

white whale

I ditched my 06 headliner for the 07 - some water stains and for checking out insulation options.
Top reason was really the slick shelf. It was about a 85% fit. Trimming required - final fit still a work in progress for me.

Tough to get a clear pic but here is front and rear. The wood helped hide the rear cut edge and
has doubled as speaker mount and extra shelf. The cabin divider does double duty for me.

Attachments

Zundfolge

Always learning...
Cut my headliner out at a certain elevation. Parked the van exactly level and used the magnet on the back of my laser level attached to the rear barn doors to shoot a line on the headliner, traced it with sharpie, then used a razor to cut the line. The fiddled with a cardboard template 'till I got it right, transferred to 3/4" ply, skinned with 1/4" cedar, braced with 1/8" x 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" angle iron at the back, rivnutted the assembly to that, and voila! Attic.

It's unfinished like every other single damn thing in my van, but it works. Gave me a place to add that 3' LED strip of lights into, actuated by door, or switchable to manual or off, and dimmable...

Attachments

Last edited:

Sherman B

Cut my headliner out at a certain elevation. Parked the van exactly level and used the magnet on the back of my laser level attached to the rear barn doors to shoot a line on the headliner, traced it with sharpie, then used a razor to cut the line. The fiddled with a cardboard template 'till I got it right, transferred to 3/4" ply, skinned with 1/4" cedar, braced with 1/8" x 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" angle iron at the back, rivnutted the assembly to that, and voila! Attic.

It's unfinished like every other single damn thing in my van, but it works. Gave me a place to add that 3' LED strip of lights into, actuated by door, or switchable to manual or off, and dimmable...
Thanks for the photos. Gives me a good idea how to build one.

Joshill

Thanks for sharing the pic, great work! I had a very similar technique with the cardboard template and I ran speaker wire up the windshield pillars to put in some better speakers. Mine's also not finished as yet but I love the light strip idea. I'm looking for multi-color ones and then it'll be a disco party :)

Attachments

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
I recently did this to mine. I put in a front headliner from a low roof van into my high roof. I haven't finished it yet, just literally swapped them over.
I'm waiting until I get used to ducking down before putting in a 8020 rail along the edge and a ply base. - Its at that exact height that I can't see it until its too late.

Note my van has the side curtain airbag option, so a custom setup like shown earlier isn't really an option and limits how deep I could make it.
At least using a stock airbag headliner I know I am not affecting the designed airbag deployment.
IMG_20191030_123656.jpg

Last edited:

cdw1952

I created an aluminum frame and used some underlayment plywood stained to match the cabinets. I think it came out nice. I'll post some pix when I get home.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
WRT brackets, the visors screw to Z-shaped aluminum drop tabs, which screw into flats above the top of the window frame. I used the aft face of these flats to secure a 1”x1” tube (pictured, dark bar) for a hammock support, placing rivet-nuts through the flats. There’s quite a bit of free space on the window frame...

-dave

Attachments

Zundfolge

Always learning...
Zund, do you have any more details on where you put your brackets? Are there brackets near the visors?
For better or worse, I did not use brackets. I should. Dave's pics above though give a good idea of what can be done. My headliner was always meant to be "finished," and what is currently there is only ever meant to be "temporary." However in reality as of now it simply sits on the foam blocks above the doors, and is bolted to the tabs above the door pillars...

DannyCoolBeans

How and where are you attaching the shelves to? Drilling into the frame? Are you using for points?

I see that 07 and up have kits. Are there kits for this van?

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
How and where are you attaching the shelves to? Drilling into the frame? Are you using for points?

I made aluminum tabs that I through bolted the sun visors in the stock position and with a couple screws on the rear (ledge) into the stock headliner

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
If you pull the headliner down, you’ll see there’s plenty of open space to attach to the frame both above the windshield and doors. If you stay above the sun visor tabs, you can cut the liner down with shears and the visor mounts will hold the remaining liner and the shades can park against the bottom of your shelf unit.
:idunno:
I use the space for a front hammock, so I’ve never looked.

-dave

PocketDrop

If you hadnt had a laser level, how would you recommend tracing this cut?

Im trying to accomplish exactly this, preferably without taking the liner out, but having massive difficulties with trying to trace this cut in the headliner

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom