Slide-out Porta-Potti !!!

sparkplug

I had decided on buying the exact same Porta-Potti (except that I'm going for the manual pump flush rather than the electric like yours) and was considering having some sort of sliding arrangement as well - really interesting to see your design.

It looks very efficient. I'm guessing you used the optional floor mount plate to secure it to the base?

My other concern was if the thing would slide around when you're sitting on it - I guess it probably doesn't unless you actively start pushing your feet on the floor?

Thanks for sharing it - always good to see other people's ideas and solutions.

158wb

Sparkplug, Yes, I purchased Thetfords mounting plate and it works great, there would be no other way to efficiently remove and install the toilet on the platform before and after cleaning it out. If you look at the very front bottom of the toilet there is a pull that you pull on and it releases the toilet. AS far as the slides, they lock in the out position and the in position, so no sliding either place.

Wankel7, These slides are from amazon. They are the 22" locking Vadania branded ones. NOTE, the first set came loose and flopping around in too large a cardboard box and the slide release handles (blue) were bent slightly. Amazon replaced, no charge. Second ones came shipped slighlty more secure, but no damage. The rest is made with homedepot parts. 1" (1/16") Al angle for around 3/4" ply and 2" (1/8") aluminum angle for the floor tracks. Also, when installing the mounting angle, I would reccomend screwing into the body with the last few screws or bolts (aft side) or using a backing plate. This is because when extended, the 22" slide out with a person sitting on it puts a lot of pressure on the mounting points. I have 6, 3" self tapping screws screwed through the body, in the aft side of the mounts. Also, the slides have a capacity of 230lbs so this might only work if you are sub 200lbs as teh toilet with liquid will weigh something. I was also going to use these slides for a cargo tray. In the longer versions i think they would work great. Tips, jsut remember, as I mentioned above, there is a lot of leverage of on those parts when the slide out is extended. Reinforce everything you can with metal, glue, and loads of screws. For example, my 3/4 ply tray is lined with 1" Al angle that is glued to it with liquid nails type glue and screwed together to dry.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
For those who aren't overly fastidious ... we don't fill the flush tank in ours. We use a separate water bottle as the flush supply.
This allows "tuning" the flush to maximize cleaning with minimal water use, and also doesn't require filling the stupid upper tank.

--dick

Top Bottom