Fuel Tank Coil Rusty Wye Fittings

Being that the proper OEM part doesn't seem to be available I have been looking for some substitute fittings for the fuel coil rusty joiners. (Dodge supplies an incorrect plastic 1/4" Wye fitting contained in a MB part bag.) The unequal leg divider fittings are not a common configuration.

T1NFuelCoilYvsOEM.jpg

I located some vacuum fittings that have angles that should fit. I don't know the pressure rating of the fittings.

I'm also not certain what the fuel pressures are at the fuel cooling coils. Being that they're on the return system the pressures may not be very great. The fact that the fittings can be quite crusty and not leak also supports that the fuel pressures are not very high.

Y Vacuum Connector 3/8" x 3/8" x 3/8"
Product ID : VT746
Manufacturer: Technicians Resource
http://www.spendlessautoparts.com/vacuum-connectors/connectors/vt746.html

T1NFuelCoilYvsOEMpossible.jpg

Y Vacuum Connector 5/16" x 5/16" x 5/16"
Product ID : VT488
Manufacturer: Technicians Resource
http://www.spendlessautoparts.com/vacuum-connectors/connectors/vt488.html

FWIW.

vic

Last edited:

Possible maybe.

The configuration of the OEM fitting is a bit odd. Even the "straight leg" isn't really straight. It has a slight offset.

Refer to the pics in post #1 and in post #26.

The straight leg vacuum fitting I found might not really fit, but may if the hoses allow enough give.

(have we determined the ID of these fuel hoses?)

-dave
Check the 1/4" Dodge part comparison to OEM that Theodore was kind enough to provide in post #26.

My guess is that 5/16" might be a bit loose, but will clamp down to seal. The 3/8" may be snug, but the hose should push on.

The fitting which you found will probably fit if a loop of hose is used for the one leg. Another option is to use long(er) hoses on each leg and place the fitting further away from the OEM position. That won't affect flow enough to matter.

I haven't tried a MB dealer using my VIN, only the Dodge dealership who provided the incorrect too small 1/4" diameter, and incorrect equal leg Wye fitting. The MB dealership is a bit of distance away for me.

Thanks for searching. The quest continues.

:cheers: vic

Sorry for any misinformation about parts, but it's what I was supplied from the Dodge dealership.

One of the reasons that I have yet to replace the 2004 crusty looking fittings was that the access and parts change looked to be a bit of a pain.

One answer to the problem is to use 3 ea. long(er) hoses and route the fuel hose out to a traditional Tee fitting. Alternatively, it looks like either a Wye or Tee fitting should install on 2 legs with no problem. A long hose loop can be used for the leg that doesn't align properly.
Added:
If OEM isn't possible, and the long hose loop method is necessary, 3/8" barb Tee fitting are more common locally than are Wye fittings.
Additional reflection:
It may make sense to install an equal leg Y fitting in a backwards facing orientation. That should allow the loop hose to fit into the space available and maybe use less hose.

Last edited:

wdavi014

'05 2500 140 High Top
Hey Vic,

Were you able to find the WYE fittings? Mine are really corroded as well. Had a brake line leak directly over the fittings/coils and imagine that didn't help. I called the local MB dealership and they couldn't identify the part. Also called a local import shop and asked them to look into it -- should hear back Monday and will report any useful findings.

I applied corroseal for now, and will follow up with heavy bearing grease per your suggestion.

Thanks,
Warren

Hey Vic,

Were you able to find the WYE fittings? ...

Thanks,
Warren
I never did find the correct straight leg Wye fitting, but my 2004 greased fittings are still holding. (knock/touch wood. :bash:) I periodically apply grease to both the 2004 and 2006 fittings.

If I have problems I'll likely use the long loop of hose method to allow installing a more typical Wye or Tee fitting.

Last edited:

Going down this road too....

Found these:

Might be a bit long overall. Thoughts?
Stainless would be good. 3/8" barbs should fit. The fitting is quite long. One of the issues is the close space involved. A loop of hose might help them to work.

Wheel bearing grease has kept my Wye fittings in service so far.

1631065599711.png
As shown in the pics above, the fittings looked that bad in Sept. 2012 when I greased them with heavy duty wheel bearing grease. Now Sept. 2021 and the fittings are still holding. Knock/touch wood :bash: I do periodically add grease to both the 2004 and 2006 Wye fittings when I'm under the trucks for other repairs.

Ended up getting this:

Will source the fuel hose as a generic from the local Napa. Hopefully the rest of the fix goes smoothly.
:thumbup:

That is as close as anything that I can recall seeing. It may still need a loop of hose to fit it in, but looks good.

Please do report back. Pictures would be nice.

jeffro109

Well, it is closer than the MB part but still not exactly the same. Also, given the diameter of the hose, I’m really not sure why the MB part is such a small diameter, maybe it would seal up.

About 1.5 hours of work all in, it is just plain awkward to get at, wish I had a lift!! Braking the old hose seal under the clamps from the pipes was the hardest part really. Ended up about a quarter of an inch closer to the driveshaft but it is nearly impossible to take apart in place and shorten the center hoses. Close enough.

Attachments

Charly

This is as close to the original as possible. Any luck finding these Stainless Y fittings again? The only one I can find are Masterflex and cost 138USD... Plastic might be the only solution left.

Before I spent lots of bucks on a fitting I would just use a standard Wye or Tee fitting with a long loop of hose to match the connections available. A 3/8" hose barb fitting should work.

There doesn't seem to be any source so far for the unusual pattern OEM fittings. The fitting isn't really a straight run with a 45 degree tap, or a typical equal Wye configuration. Leave it to Mercedes to engineer something special. The Best or Nothing. For those oddball fittings they give us nothing.

vic

Quayron

I have T1N that I am trying to fix help pls,
found this havent purchased any of them still not sure if this sprinter fittings are 5/16 ot 3/8 thhere is aperreantly not a certain answer but this might help anybody looking similar part

1-) https://www.amazon.com/QFS-FTY-516-...f9-8e9a-701a6dc69d94&pd_rd_i=B08BWGGVBY&psc=1

2-) https://www.ebay.com/itm/162811819150

3-) https://www.walmart.com/ip/Quantum-...-Intank-Fuel-Pump-Assembly-Splitter/940012121

1 and 2 is looks like same product
3 little different version of it,

and this last one a company does this kind of stuff but havent reach them out yet.

same ebay and amazon link also has 3/8 size as well as the other company sells it has different size

[/URL]

Last edited:

Top Bottom