$2,900 for 400W solar -- Is that a fair price?

newsprinter

Hi

I've read that solar panels are dirt cheap, but LTV charges $2,900 for their 4 x 100W solar panel option, which seems expensive to me. Can solar panels be installed significantly cheaper than LTV charges.

Thanks.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Solar panels can be bought for about $1/watt. A Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT controller at about $250. So a 300 watt system would be under $700 plus installation.

HarryN

You cannot really compare the price of some of the parts to a completely installed system.

Panels used to be the most expensive portion of a solar system, both on a home and on a van, but that is really not the case anymore.

Ever since the Chinese drove virtually all of the US producers out of business, panel prices have been rising, especially for the more sturdily built, RV size panels.

Smaller panels cost more per watt than one large panel, but most RV installers won't use a full size panel on top because of the large size. Each approach has advantages and disadvantages.

The hardware and wiring parts to mount 4 each, 100 watt panels on a sprinter can approach the price of the panels themselves.

All RV dealers are going to charge $120 - 150 / hr for work. There are very few that are not backed up for months, so why would they charge a different price for solar installs? It is best done by 2 people and could easily take 8 man - hours to complete.

After that, they have to put a warranty on it, which is not free.

It is possible that the dealer would use a renogy controller for a customer install, but I wouldn't.

Can it be done cheaper by you - yes. Is their price reasonable for a dealer install compared to other dealers ? I would say it is fairly close.

jrober

You would probably be better off spending the money on a second alternator especially if you aren't sitting in one place for extended lengths of time. When you do the math comparing output of solar panels on an average weather day to how long you would need to drive with a second alternator to get this same battery charging capacity, solar panels become pretty questionable. It would probably work out to about 20 min of driving with a second alternator to equal the output of those solar panels for a similar price.

Perhaps a dumb question because I don't know if "LTV" always means a completed RV conversion or if they do partial custom work.

Whatever, installing a DIY solar system in a bare bones van as part of a DIY conversion is one thing. Installing a DIY solar system into a commercially completed and fitted out van conversion is a horse of a different color.

Installation into a completed conversion van can add overhead and for certain more labor. The savings over the ordered LTV built in system might not be as great.

You cannot really compare the price of some of the parts to a completely installed system.
I thought that you provided a nice overview by the way.

:cheers: vic

newsprinter

Perhaps a dumb question because I don't know if "LTV" always means a completed RV conversion or if they do partial custom work.
Sorry, LTV is Leisure Travel Vans. They use a Sprinter chassis and add their own body--sort of halfway between a Sprinter conversion and an RV. I'm 6' 3 1/2", so I think I need a higher roof than the high roof Sprinters offer. LTV's Unity model has a 6'5" tall interior.

Installing a DIY solar system into a commercially completed and fitted out van conversion is a horse of a different color.
Yeah, that's what I had in mind.

Last edited:

HarryN

In case you have not seen it yet, the forum has a whole section for sprinter based class C vans.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57

LTV and Winnebago are probably the most discussed, but there is more in common in that platform than difference, so it is worth looking over what people have done on them.

I am not sure why it didn't occur to me earlier that you were referring to a class C RV built on a sprinter chassis rather than a class B that uses the conventional sprinter body.

There isn't any reason that you cannot do a solar install yourself. It might even be possible to get more power up there. If you measure carefully, it might even be possible to get 50% more solar power than the 400 watts using more conventional RV size panels (nominal 27 x 58 inch). I have not attempt this yet, but I have done some class A RVs.

Just to rough out some costs though:
- 4 panels x 180 watt = est $1000
- Mounting hardware for 4 panels = est $500
- Charge controller capable of handling 4 x 180 watt panels into a 12 volt system = something similar to a midnight classic 150 S = est $550
- Wires, connectors and cable management =est $300

Usually there are not any rails on these roofs, so the attachment is a combination of VHB tape and expansion bolts.

Some people will run the PV wires down behind the refrigerator.

Klipstr

2018 Wonder FTB
Yes, the Leisure Travel Van Unity forum, within these forums, is the place for you. Topic has been covered very well.

In direct answer to your original question, no $2800 for 400W is not reasonable IMHO. If you are handy you can do a similar install using either 100W flex or rigid panels. You do not have enough width room up top to use larger panels. I have a hybrid mix on my LTV Unity MB. If I had it to over again I would have used all rigid panels. I love the Renogy 100W. MPPT vs PWM has been debated ad nauseum and will continue to be. Personally I like PWM with a good charge controller like the Tristar 45 or the Bogart SC30 and the Bogart Trimetric as the meter. With the correct size downwire and the controller very near the batteries you can build a 400W system for about $700. I plan on using the $2100 savings to replace the interstate batteries with Lithium. If you search the Unity forum for my handle kilpstr or TurboPilot you will find very detailed descriptions of solar install on the Unit.

HarryN

Yes, the Leisure Travel Van Unity forum, within these forums, is the place for you. Topic has been covered very well.

In direct answer to your original question, no $2800 for 400W is not reasonable IMHO. If you are handy you can do a similar install using either 100W flex or rigid panels. You do not have enough width room up top to use larger panels. I have a hybrid mix on my LTV Unity MB. If I had it to over again I would have used all rigid panels. I love the Renogy 100W. MPPT vs PWM has been debated ad nauseum and will continue to be. Personally I like PWM with a good charge controller like the Tristar 45 or the Bogart SC30 and the Bogart Trimetric as the meter. With the correct size downwire and the controller very near the batteries you can build a 400W system for about $700. I plan on using the $2100 savings to replace the interstate batteries with Lithium. If you search the Unity forum for my handle kilpstr or TurboPilot you will find very detailed descriptions of solar install on the Unit.
Hi Kelly

- Just the panels are 4 x $219 plus tax and shipping is pretty close to $1000.
- Even their cheapest 100 watt version is 4 x $140 plus tax and shipping so close to $700.

Panel prices have been rising ever since all of the US producers have been run out of business.

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
I would use that money for the extra 220 amp alternator, Li Ion batteries, Li charger and 100 watts Solar just to use as a trickle charger when the rig is not used to keep the batteries topped off all times. Opt out of the generator and Maybe even invest in a Nova cool AC/DC refer and not have to mess much with propane.
That would be the bees knees.

1953TBM

DIY can save a lot. I just added a 100w panel to my 1oow panel purchased from Home Depot online and free ship to store. about $150 and install myself. My view already had combiner jack on roof and 30a controller so real easy. I think renogy has controller too. Research and check Utubes.

Last edited:

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
I would use that money for the extra 220 amp alternator, Li Ion batteries, Li charger and 100 watts Solar just to use as a trickle charger when the rig is not used to keep the batteries topped off all times. Opt out of the generator and Maybe even invest in a Nova cool AC/DC refer and not have to mess much with propane.
That would be the bees knees.
Why would you do it?, specific needs?

George.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
No generator lower weight, got it. OCCC? you lost me here. Longer camping, on 300W of solar I camp for weeks with compressor fridge and no generator nor engine running.

Geriakt

2017 View 24J
No generator lower weight, got it. OCCC? you lost me here. Longer camping, on 300W of solar I camp for weeks with compressor fridge and no generator nor engine running.
Cargo carrying wt limit. So yes you can reduce wt by not needing a generator. Increased dry camp running time with Li Ion and lower wt. Quick charging and can run house AC using a second high amp alternator by running the I5 Transit engine that can idle at longer times. The MB diesel can not idle longer than 15 mins unless you have an engine heater or idle kit for higher rpm. A refer that can run a dc compressor can run long time on battery and no need to vary a large heavy tank of propane.

HarryN

Cargo carrying wt limit. So yes you can reduce wt by not needing a generator. Increased dry camp running time with Li Ion and lower wt. Quick charging and can run house AC using a second high amp alternator by running the I5 Transit engine that can idle at longer times. The MB diesel can not idle longer than 15 mins unless you have an engine heater or idle kit for higher rpm. A refer that can run a dc compressor can run long time on battery and no need to vary a large heavy tank of propane.
In general I agree with your concept.

One slight suggestion though is that especially with Li based batteries, it is a good idea to have at least a small amount of solar power because the issues related to a Li battery going dead are much larger than for a lead acid battery.

Top Bottom