What type of Coach Batteries do you have in your RV?

Looking for House battery replacements and noticed that Coach House went over to two 6 volt batteries instead of the one 12 volt battery.
Does anyone have any feedback on the two 6 volt AGM Lifeline batteries rather than one 12 volt AGM Lifeline Battery? Looking to replace mine soon.

MotorCity57

My new Coach House Platinum II 240DT has 2 6-volt Lifeline AGMs, I believe they are model #GPL-4CT. They supply 220 amp hours @ 12 volts. A pair of Lifeline 12-volt AGM model GPL-24T will give you 160 AH @ 12 volts. The larger GPL-27T will supply 200 AH @ 12 volts. So a pair of their 6-volt AGMs wired in series is a better arrangement. Of course, a lot depends on the physical dimensions of the battery pack, and what will fit in the RV. Coach House puts the house battery in the engine compartment, and if you want a second house battery they have to do some "rearranging" in the engine bay, which makes it a bit more expensive. The end result, however, is very satisfactory.
John

Rock Doc

I have a 2014 Pleasure-Way Pleateau TS on a 2013 Sprinter 3500 chassis, and only have the stock Group 49 100 Amp-Hour battery manufactured by Johnson Controls. I'm quite interested in figuring how I can put together more battery storage under the hood.

Can you upload a photo to show how Coach House "rearranged" the underhood situation to accommodate two 6 volt batteries? (Having had a Jeep CJ7 in years past, I'm no stranger to firing up the MIG welder to do fabrication, if needed!)

Thanks!

MotorCity57

My RV is in storage right now, but I'll try to get over there in the next few days to snap some photos. The 2 batteries are mounted side-by-side on the driver's side of the engine bay, above the windshield washer fluid tank. That's all I can recall at the moment. I know... pictures are worth 1,000 words!

Rock Doc

My RV is in storage right now, but I'll try to get over there in the next few days to snap some photos. The 2 batteries are mounted side-by-side on the driver's side of the engine bay, above the windshield washer fluid tank. That's all I can recall at the moment. I know... pictures are worth 1,000 words!
Boy, you got that right about pictures worth 1000 words--and sometimes even more!!

Thanks in advance! This is greatly appreciated!

MotorCity57

Here are a few pics of the house batteries in my Coach House 240. Mercedes uses this space in the engine bay for an optional second battery, but Coach House has made room for two batteries. I tried to get a shot of the battery tray in the second photo. Hope this helps.
John

Attachments

Rock Doc

Thanks so much!! These photos give me all the information I need--and will likely use once my current Group 49 battery finishes dying.

This morning I stopped by my local Batteries+Bulbs store (the specialize in batteries and light bulbs of all types), and they guy there told me that there is a LOT of attention in the battery world right now with the low-profile batteries. He thinks that in the near future we should be seeing Deep-Cycle Group 49 batteries just because the demand will be there. However, for myself, I really, really like the idea of more than doubling the amp-hour storage just in case I want/need to have it even for Wal-Mart "boondocking" overnight if I need to use the furnace!

Thanks MotorCity 57 for taking the time to take photos. The Lifeline GPL-4CT is exactly what we would like to upgrade with. Our 2008 241XL Sprinter came with an additional battery in under the hood RHS location that was not being used at all. Maybe we can use this location, and maybe Coach House will sell us the tray they have manufactured. Our original Two 12 volt AGM's came on a slide out tray in the compartment next to the entrance door which I believe is now used for the DEF container. There is alot of depth to the compartment but there is one L frame which reduces the height to 9 1/4" We would have to remove the tray, but would prefer using this compartment if I can figure out how to modify it for the two GPL-4CT. Thanks for the pictures!

230321a

Please tell us the battery model located under the hood. Thanks.:thumbup:

Turns out we have the same tray as shown in your pictures. Our 2008 chassis came with an auxiliary battery under the hood. So maybe we can use this location if the appropriate wires can be added after manufacture. Trip to Coach House may be the thing-Thanks

Follow-up -- We installed two Lifeline 6 volt batteries inside of the original battery compartment located next to the Coach Entrance Door. We had to remove the battery slide out tray to accommodate the higher height of the batteries and installed them in the rear of the compartment.This gives us additional room for a future pure sine wave inverter in the front of the compartment. We decided NOT to use the Under the Hood "auxiliary battery" location for Lifeline batteries as these type of batteries do not do well with the engine heat. We kept the original battery style there. Seems to be working well!

Top Bottom