Help with Lawrence bunk windows.

Barney81

Hello all,
First and foremost thank you all for the knowledge and advice on here. I have a 170 4x4. I just installed Lawrence bunk windows in the rear. Install went good. After install and water test I drove it and noticed the rattle/movement of the walls around windows. So after the vertical braces were cut for windows they wall flexes and rattles. Looks like if I could add some of that adhesive glue where it rattles my issue would be solved. Has anyone experienced this. Or know what kind of adhesive I could use to correct this. Thanks again

pygmyowl

From what I have gleaned (I have 144 high top), if bunk window is mounted more toward the back of the rear bay over vertical piece they are pretty stable - mounted in center often requires metal piece welded in for additional support

InspiredVan

Simple fix that eliminates a lot of the motion is to caulk the gap between the outer sheetmetal and the forward edge of the bay. more than once we've seen vans where the factory missed the glue in that area or it didn't adhere properly... also do not remove the entire vertical rib, just what is needed to install the window. for caulk we've used SikaFlex adhesive

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

81duck

Simple fix that eliminates a lot of the motion is to caulk the gap between the outer sheetmetal and the forward edge of the bay. more than once we've seen vans where the factory missed the glue in that area or it didn't adhere properly... also do not remove the entire vertical rib, just what is needed to install the window. for caulk we've used SikaFlex adhesive

Any chance you can post a picture of the area you're talking about? I'm having similar issues with my 170 and bunk windows on both sides in rear of van

InspiredVan

absolutely. I'll get a pic or 2 posted shortly. I'd say it eliminated close to 90% of the movement

Barney81

Thanks for the reply. What sikaflex did you use. I called CR WINDOWS. They said that this isn’t common and to use Home Depot spray foam. I think caulking it would be better just want to make sure I use something that flexible enough. I think they missed the corner where it’s flexing on my van.

InspiredVan

I used SikaFlex 221 in black here. I'd shy away from a spray foam, youd want a flexible adhesive of sorts. also used 3M urethane for window installs with great success

81duck

I used SikaFlex 221 in black here. I'd shy away from a spray foam, youd want a flexible adhesive of sorts. also used 3M urethane for window installs with great success

Is that the only place you use the SikaFlex to tighten up the vibration around the windows?

InspiredVan

in this van the outer sheetmetal wasn't attached from the top of the caulking all the way down to the corner. This was the same on the other side and was the forward portion of the rear most bay

Top Bottom