2017 4x4 with factory towing package

Hello. I'm having a hard time figuring out which pin connector is installed with my factory towing package. It's got six male connectors with one female connector in the middle. Does anybody know if this is a standard connection for an RV trailer?

Thanks

sailquik

cowestwinds:
Yes, the factory trailer wiring is to the USA RV and Trailer industry standards.
It should work with any trailer wired to the current standards.
The wiring diagram is right on the flip up lid of the Sprinter side of the trailer tow connector.
There might be some difference between the RV (think travel trailer/toy hauler) and the cargo (think utility trailers, flatbeds/car haulers,
boat trailers) in the colors of the wires on the trailer side of the connection (the big round sleeve over the plastic connector that is
keyed at the top for positive orientation so you can't hook it up wrong), but the basic wiring diagram for both the vehicle (female) and
trailer (male) is the same.
If you are having any issues the problem is most likely in the trailer wiring, not the Sprinter.
Some have had issues with LED lights on the trailer, but my cargo trailer (in my avatar photo) is all LED and works perfectly with the
exception that after I shut the lights off at the end of a night run, the LEDs continue to glow for a few minutes but the lights all work
perfectly with my cargo trailers and my 25' Jayco 25Z Ultralight Travel Trailer which has all incandescent lights + it charges the RV battery.
Here's a couple of photos that show the wiring diagram on the flip up cover, and the factory installed (Charleston build last year)
Sprinter rear connector.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Attachments

Last edited:

sailquik

cowestwinds,
Which Lance Ultralite trailer are you looking at?
Your towing capacity is 5,000 lbs. gross towed weight 500 lbs. tongue weight.
Your Sprinter won't sag in the back, but you will need to get an electronic brake controller.
Enjoy your Sprinter!
Roger

Sailquick I’ll be picking up a new 1475. MAx weight is 3700. Should be easy to pull except here in Colorado. Just take it easy going up the passes. Do you have a recommendation on a brake controller? Hopefully a plug and play?

sailquik

cowestwinds:
It won't be exactly "plug and play"!
Look under your driver's seat (in the seat box) for the factory installed green trailer brake connector.
Make up (or buy if you can find one) a mating connector to adapt the factory green connector to you choice
of electronic brake controllers.
I like the Valley Towing Products Odyssey II inertial/proportional controller as it has an inertial sensor that will
apply more braking force on the trailer as you increase the stopping rate with your Sprinter brakes.
Saved me a few possible accidents over the years.
Here's a link to the process of building the harness you need and installing it in your Sprinter:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24655&highlight=green+connnector

If you install the brake controller correctly now, when you go to pick up your Lance 1475 all the brakes
and lights will work.
Also do some searches on "trailer brake controller" "green trailer brake connector" and you will get a lot of
info and opinions on what others have done with their Sprinters regarding trailer brake controllers.
We are here to help if you run into any issues in the brake controller install.
Hope this helps,
Roger

• Thanks
Reactions: THE
Does the X22 option not have the brake controller (green connector) plug? I have the E40 Trailer Hitch with the 7 pin wire harness and the Q24 Trailer Hitch. I've looked under the seat but can't seem to find the connector. Thanks

Top Bottom