Brand new 2019 M2CA4X - Problem

....so I have had my Sprinter 4 days, the Dealership has now had it 13 days. Still working on the replacement of the EIS (Electric Ignition Switch). It showed some corrosion from either condensation or water leakage. The symptom was I could not take it out of Park into Drive or Reverse, though after about 4 hours it did shift and I was able to drive it 2 hours to get home. The following morning and all that day it did the same thing. The next morning it again worked fine so I took it direct to the dealership. So it was an intermittent issue, I guess it may have been caused by mud or road grime affecting the sensors.....can you tell me exactly what "assist features" or Mercedes packages that these might be?

FlaJoe

I have not taken possession of my VS30 but I have a Range Rover and the assist features can affect braking, transmissions, and speed. Electronics are great until they don’t work.

Last edited:

Michlb

I’m sure the problems that @Valeria2019 and @surferJ have are more serious, but I completely agree with @sanomechanic - watch your sensors. I had exactly the same problem in cold in the Sierra. Switched off Parking Assist, and the van would immediately move normal. If the sensors are iced up, the computer could look at it as an obstacle and throw in the brakes. This vehicle is not just making noise when it thinks it approaches an obstacle like in parking - it also throws in the brake if it thinks its approaching something.

There was another post recently where somebody tried to park the vehicle on a busy narrow road with traffic and was unable to because it constantly hit the brakes.

Again, I don’t want to trivialize at all the other problems like a completely electronics shutdown or corroded connections, but I’m simply reporting about a situation in the cold, and how I fixed it.

surferJ

....so I have had my Sprinter 4 days, the Dealership has now had it 13 days. Still working on the replacement of the EIS (Electric Ignition Switch). It showed some corrosion from either condensation or water leakage. The symptom was I could not take it out of Park into Drive or Reverse, though after about 4 hours it did shift and I was able to drive it 2 hours to get home. The following morning and all that day it did the same thing. The next morning it again worked fine so I took it direct to the dealership. So it was an intermittent issue, I guess it may have been caused by mud or road grime affecting the sensors.....can you tell me exactly what "assist features" or Mercedes packages that these might be?
Your intermittent problem is identical to the intermittent I had before a few hours later total failure. Somehow you have gotten moisture inside the van. The new placement of these core switch connectors is securely inside, safe from outside weather or mud.
But in the direct runoff path for interior wetness.

My last conversation with the dealership on Thursday was once they get the "switch" replaced they may need to send it to their body shop to figure out a solution for the water. Remember, I only had position of the Sprinter for 4 days, drove it to the coast in rainy weather and then returned home. Haven't had the opportunity to use it overnight so I doubt this is a condensation issue. It was transported from the East coast to Oregon in October....I hope to find out how water got onto this area.....once I learn more I will certainly share!

Mathewst

My last conversation with the dealership on Thursday was once they get the "switch" replaced they may need to send it to their body shop to figure out a solution for the water. Remember, I only had position of the Sprinter for 4 days, drove it to the coast in rainy weather and then returned home. Haven't had the opportunity to use it overnight so I doubt this is a condensation issue. It was transported from the East coast to Oregon in October....I hope to find out how water got onto this area.....once I learn more I will certainly share!
I did camp a lot nights in cold with lot of humidity outside. Got truma diesel heater on all nights. Not much condensation inside. Some on Dometic insulated windows, but manageable. I dont know whats happening inside walls but probably not condensation. More people inside worse. 2adults 2kids mostly.

What i noticed though especially when I get stuck youre in rush to fix things, stress, you need to take breath, look on that stupid display, turn everything off. Put seatbelt on (If you wont and have electric parkbrake and open door to check anything, it will engage). with sensors detecting something as others say car wont even move, same with parkbrake and seatbelt not engaged.

surferJ

Sure. I even start to see an easy solution beyond only sealing.
If you take a bright flash lite in your right hand, lean in under the steering wheel shaft with light up in cavern pointing towards the left,
lighting up the space behind the panel with the hood release lever...
look thru the hole the hood release lever passes thru..

You will see a ~4” thin black junction box attached to the outer wall. This is what gets wet and leads to many problems.

This angle was too difficult to photograph but the following pics show the view over the panel top. I do not know how the clips work to remove.

The first is the junction box now wrapped it plastic on the side body.
The second shows the space to the right of said box. You can see the hood release passing through the forward body wall, and than to the right
another junction box.

I have heard rumor that in Germany a MB garage has detached the problem junction box and rotated it out into this space, free from contact with
side wall.
If and when I get more firm knowledge, I will post it here.

Attachments

My other thought about this module and how it was affected by moisture is maybe Hurricane Dorian caused excessive moisture to find a way to it. I know my vehicle was still at the Charleston MB Plant when the Hurricane landed. Maybe under normal winter rains this part would not be affected. I'm still waiting for my Dealership to give a progress report and what the solution will be. They've now had it 21 days, maybe I'm expecting too much and maybe Warranty Issues get pushed to the back of the line. Can the time at the Dealership be added to the end of the Warranty time....?:hmmm:

Sctn

2019 170 4x4 Crew-SMB West
I would ask. That’s ridiculous. 3 weeks is too long if that’s the only issue. Sorry it’s taking so long, that’s super frustrating, I’d be really bummed.

Okay I spoke to the dealership today and here's what they found. There is a wire that penetrates the firewall that was installed by the up-fitter. I'm not sure what this wire powers but it's connected to the EIS module. The dealership says water has found its way on this wire which drops down to the EIS. Apparently this penetration through the firewall was never sealed. The dealership is replacing the EIS under warranty but they will not seal this "3rd party" wire. My up-fitter is picking up the van from the dealership and they will correct the sealant issue. The dealership will be completed with their work this Wednesday and then the up-fitter needs just 1 day to do their work. Finally after 22 days we are getting the van back. Regarding condensation, I will have the up-fitter analysis where the EIS is mounted and get their opinion about a future condensation problem and if the EIS needs to be encapsulated some way. Hopefully this will take care of the issue.

Sctn

2019 170 4x4 Crew-SMB West
Okay I spoke to the dealership today and here's what they found. There is a wire that penetrates the firewall that was installed by the up-fitter. I'm not sure what this wire powers but it's connected to the EIS module. The dealership says water has found its way on this wire which drops down to the EIS. Apparently this penetration through the firewall was never sealed. The dealership is replacing the EIS under warranty but they will not seal this "3rd party" wire. My up-fitter is picking up the van from the dealership and they will correct the sealant issue. The dealership will be completed with their work this Wednesday and then the up-fitter needs just 1 day to do their work. Finally after 22 days we are getting the van back. Regarding condensation, I will have the up-fitter analysis where the EIS is mounted and get their opinion about a future condensation problem and if the EIS needs to be encapsulated some way. Hopefully this will take care of the issue.
Glad they are replacing under warranty, sounds like a great service center. Surprised in your outfitter. With their prices you’d think they would catch something like that OR the service center kicked the can down the road. Hopefully your up and running soon! Enjoy your new van!

hoosierrun

If there is anyway you are somebody else could get a picture of that grommet with the wire going through (view from the engine compartment), that would be a big help to everyone.

Mathewst

Hmm, maybe I am in the club. Yesterday i started car and whole dash lit on me. low range, ALKA, distronic, braking assist..., 4x4 button didnt even blink..
Been in mud day before, no errors, parked, day later this after 3 meters.
Came later that day and no error

At service at this moment will see 2morrow

Eric B

Guessing this is the grommet on driver side where up fitter ran wiring?
Maybe you can confirm Valeria2019?

It’s what I used for all my through-the-firewall connections

Located to the right of master cylinder and left of ecu when facing firewall
(First pic)

That grommet is then covered up inside the cockpit by the following piece of firewall insulation
(Second pic)

Attachments

I asked both the dealership and the Up-Fitter to send me a photo (before and after) and I'm still waiting for the pics....not sure they ever will send them. Sorry, not much help

Mathewst

Okay so its confirmed on my side as well, its A pillar under steering wheel control unit, they say it controls wheel lock or something, doesnt matter.
In my case could be high water fording (up to 80cm) on Iceland last year. They insulated unit from engine space. But this is unlikely, so I told them according to this thread to find other solution and wrap unit into some plastic bag or so..

Texas-Sprinter

I've had a very similar problem. After a day of heavy snow, I was unable to start or put the van in gear. The power button took many pushes to "turn on" the system and many turns to turn it off. The whole system was acting very weird. Our van has 8k miles on it.

Dealership says there was water intrusion. They asked me if I spilled something on my dashboard. (I had not)

They replaced the:
Electronic Ignition Lock Control Unit
Drive Control Unit
The start/stop button
some other "Control Unit"
some bushings and connectors.

PXL_20210112_130910203.jpg

sanomechanic

Good point sanomechanic, I would imagine that and mud could affect operations if the auto assist features are on.
Absolutely will. Even a heavy layer of road grim or even a layer of wax not wiped off will distort the sonar and make a false reading to the ECU

Top Bottom