Front Suspension Spring Discussion

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
On the YahooSprinterVan forum there is a very good discussion of the OEM composite front spring, including different experiences with breakage, the FedEx/UPS and certain RV chassis standard metal spring, and Upscale's heavy duty third party replacement. Follow the thread, as there is good information with almost every post:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/sprintervan/message/41321

1. The OEM composite spring is part number 5139112AA. Just about all Sprinters come with that as standard (get a magnet, and you can test that it shouldn't stick).

2. For OEM commercial accounts (e.g., UPS, FedEx) and Airstream Westfalia Sprinter campervans, the front spring is steel--part number 5175102AA. The posts indicate that this part number does not alway show up, and often, if it does, also shows up as unavailable.

3. Third party supplier: UpScale: http://www.sprinterstore.com/sprinter_store.htm - though you will have to contact John directly. John notes that his product is for HD use, is more expensive the OEM. Further, regardless of the source of the spring, he strongly suggests front spring replacement is not DIY stuff.

Last edited:
Hello,
I have a 2002 and a 2004 Sprinter. On my 2004 I want to change the front suspension to my 2002 hight. Somebody has the knowledge to tell me excactly what is different?

Thanks,

Sven

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Hi Sven,

In the picture they appear to be very close in height. How much difference is there between them?

Hi Sven,

In the picture they appear to be very close in height. How much difference is there between them?
There is an almost 4.5" difference! one inch comes from the tires and rims. The rest is all suspension. The rear has longer more bowed springs. The front I can't see a difference. I caled Dodge parts they told me the front springs from a 02 and from a 04 have the same part #. It really makes a defference in getting in and out the vehicle. But what did they change?

Sven

rlent

Looks one is a passenger van and one is a cargo van - that should be the difference - and the springs should be interchangable (at least within the same model year) The cargo uses a single rear spring and the passenger uses a two spring pack on the rear, of which one, I believe, is an overload.

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Hello,
I have a 2002 and a 2004 Sprinter. On my 2004 I want to change the front suspension to my 2002 hight. Somebody has the knowledge to tell me excactly what is different?
Didn't we go through this already?

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3637&highlight=suspension

The biggest reason for the increase in height for the latter year Sprinters is the extra 1 inch spacer...
height.jpg
...that spans from "a" and "b" on both sides of the vehicle. The unfortunate thing is that piece is welded in.

I guess you could take a grinder to it, but will it be worth it?

Thanks for that picture. I wiil have to consider if it will be woth the effort. The thing is that I want to install a full 4 bag air suspension in the rear. This suspension is laid out for the European Sprinters, so for the "Low Riders. This would mean I will have to change the front. Also it will look better with some nice 16" wheels.

Sven

blfmtriv

living in the Top End NT
hi all

what happened to the front suspension bit, would like to know about lifting that bit

cheers
andrew:hmmm:

Hoppingmad

Yes , front suspension.
Mine is bottom out. Rubber bumper is compressed and it thuds even on medium bumps.
I'd rather have a add on kit, but suppose new spring is only option.
I changed struts last year, with them off and arm hanging looks (looks) simple to get at spring.
Anybody see a spring change detail anywhere.
I did contact upscale by email 2 years ago. Never heard back. Would rather purchase spring else where now.
But still think a front end add on booster is a good choice.

Transverse leaf springs, didn't ford stop using them in the 30's??????????

blfmtriv

living in the Top End NT
Well hoppingmad where 2 next,my 06 sprinter hasrear blocks so it sits up at the rear, what do you think about the front and chocking that like the picture shows the a_ b diagramme, theres no discussion I can find onthe front suspension, have you had any luck..:thinking:

Donphillipe

On the YahooSprinterVan forum there is a very good discussion of the OEM composite front spring, including different experiences with breakage, the FedEx/UPS and certain RV chassis standard metal spring, and Upscale's heavy duty third party replacement. Follow the thread, as there is good information with almost every post:
I tried looking on groups.io and searching for sprinter, sprintervan and yahoosprintervan I find no group there.

I am interested in lifting the front suspension of a 2005 3500. Can anyone offer a suggestion where to start?

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I tried looking on groups.io and searching for sprinter, sprintervan and yahoosprintervan I find no group there.

Post originated in 2007. I didn't find anything when I last looked, last year, when yahoo announced the end of yahoo groups.

I am interested in lifting the front suspension of a 2005 3500. Can anyone offer a suggestion where to start?

I don't know of any bolt-ons besides bigger tires.

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
Yahoo basically shut down its groups effective December 14, 2019. I moved a lot of material over when Sprinter-Source was created, but not everything.

Annotation 2020-03-25 164132.jpg

Top Bottom