gasoline engine - oil chg interval and type, filter

tech49

2019 2500 144 4cyl GAS
Ive just traded my diesel 2014 om651 for a 2019 gas engine, and wondering if all the mobil1 0w-20 low ash oil I have leftover will work in my gas engine? (I know its meant for diesel engines, but I bought it several years ago from napa, and not sure if they'll allow a return/credit.) . Not trying to be cheap here, I have no problem buying new oil, but hate to bother with the return if not necessary...

Also, maybe not enough coffee this morning, but I cannot seem to find the oil change interval in the owners manual nor the service manual. I know the computer will tell me when its nec, but I just wonder what the overall miles interval is?

Filter type (paper or fabric) and oem part numbers? Anyone got em handy? I know the oil std is 229.3 but Im having no luck finding that online.

tech49

2019 2500 144 4cyl GAS
15000 miles sounds about right, hell maybe 20k since the egr ISNT dumping tons of exhaust soot directly back into the engine!

My owners manual specifies 229.3 for the gas engine, although I know its a publication meant for general overviews of the us market models. Im curious what the real difference is between 229.3 and 229.5? And the diff bw 229.31/51, which is what the oil Ive been using all along is...

back of the bottle of Mobil1 0W-30 ESP (emission system protection) explicitly states its approved for MB 229.31 and 229.51/52, "for diesel and gasoline engines with emission reduction systems...fully compatible with DPF and gasoline catalytic converters (CAT)..."

Hell, its Mobil1 oil. I dont want to start another oil thread, but whatever your feelings about it, its good oil and its meant for MB engines, gas or diesel it seems? Anyone tell me Im wrong? I mean, I cant imagine it will actually damage my engine. I have enough leftover for two oil changes. Id like to use it up. I suppose I could put it in my 19' RAM 1500, also gas...

D

Deleted member 50714

Diesels are dirtier than gassers. If MB claims 20,000 miles for diesel OCI's why not 40,000 miles for gassers???

HarryN

Diesels are dirtier than gassers. If MB claims 20,000 miles for diesel OCI's why not 40,000 miles for gassers???
Not sure about the MB engine, but on BMW engines the engine oil is also used like hydraulic fluid to actuate the variable cam system.

The oil has to be kept very clean or gunk deposits in non ideal places.

430 hp 70

'19 144 Gas Passenger - Carlsbad
Anyone change their own oil in a gasser yet? Mb does require the 229.5 spec which the M1 European formula in 0w40 does meet. Unfortunately mb doesn't list an actual recommendation for oil viscosity, rather a range. What is everyone using?

Anything strange about how the oil filter mounts? I tried searching youtube for videos of the m274 and watched a guy struggle to get the filter off the housing on a mb car. Not sure if ours is the same. The diesel filters just come right off.

Other than the possible filter issue it all looks straight forward. Pretty nice that they sit so high and a jack isn't even required.

220817a

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN
No... One thing that is not to be missed is the fact that a diesel engine has twice (if not more) the amount of oil in it vs a gas engine. 2.1 L takes ~10 liters while the 2.0 gas ~5 liters. The 5 L will get used up a lot quicker vs the 10 L. I personally would change oil at 5000 - 6000k on the gas engine. I would not even pay attention to MB recommendation on this one...

Last edited:

430 hp 70

'19 144 Gas Passenger - Carlsbad
No... One thing that is not to be missed is the fact that a diesel engine has twice (if not more) the amount of oil in it vs a gas engine. 2.1 L takes ~10 liters while the 2.0 gas ~5 liters. The 5 L will get used up a lot quicker vs the 10 L. I personally would change oil at 5000 - 6000k on the gas engine. I would not even pay attention to MB recommendation on this one...
Gas is 11.2 qts in the sprinter, not 5.

220817a

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN
Gas is 11.2 qts in the sprinter, not 5.
It might be something different on the Sprinter, but on a C300 with the same engine, the oil capacity is 6 - 7 quarts. Where did you get the info about 11.2 quarts?

Last edited:

tech49

2019 2500 144 4cyl GAS
I can confirm it takes 11 qts for a full oil and filter change in the gas engine 2.1 in the sprinter.

djcarving21

I have a 2019 gasser, looking to change the oil for the first time. The book says oil capacity is 10.5L for gas 12.5L diesel.

djcarving21

How do you like your gasser? Any issues ?
So far so good, looks better than the diesel in every ways. Now I'm about to do a RV build. I'm a little scary, will a 2L engine push 3.3Tons? My Hyundai Sonata is having a bigger engine. In the specs capacities gas vs diesel are the same.

Top Bottom