Stereo upgrade

Mr Makai

I went thru about 5 sets of speakers from $300 to $100 and none sounded good.

I then stumbled on these and WOW, phenominal sound.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/jbl-gx...lene-cones-pair-black/6283670.p?skuId=6283670

Bought and used the adapter rings that are sold on ebay.

Also went with an alpine amp.

I insulated the doors with dynamat and 3M sound deadening mat.

Using Spotify with high quality recordings the sound is down right jaw dropping. I don't even need a subwoofer, you feel the bass in your chest. Crystal clear highs that don't in the least fatigue.
In a 2019?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

430 hp 70

'19 144 Gas Passenger - Carlsbad
I went thru about 5 sets of speakers from $300 to $100 and none sounded good.

I then stumbled on these and WOW, phenominal sound.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/jbl-gx...lene-cones-pair-black/6283670.p?skuId=6283670

Bought and used the adapter rings that are sold on ebay.

Also went with an alpine amp.

I insulated the doors with dynamat and 3M sound deadening mat.

Using Spotify with high quality recordings the sound is down right jaw dropping. I don't even need a subwoofer, you feel the bass in your chest. Crystal clear highs that don't in the least fatigue.
Any chance you can briefly tell us what you tried and why you didn't like them? Which alpine amp? How did you connect in to the factory system?

I'm thinking of building a center console with a sub built in. I've always used plug and play adapters to pull the signal from the factory systems. Currently running a focal setup in my truck and have an identical setup in the closet waiting to be installed in my chevelle. Since that's years off, thinking of putting it in the sprinter. Just haven't seen the necessary pieces.

Mr Makai

Any chance you can briefly tell us what you tried and why you didn't like them? Which alpine amp? How did you connect in to the factory system?

I'm thinking of building a center console with a sub built in. I've always used plug and play adapters to pull the signal from the factory systems. Currently running a focal setup in my truck and have an identical setup in the closet waiting to be installed in my chevelle. Since that's years off, thinking of putting it in the sprinter. Just haven't seen the necessary pieces.
^This^

dan.lewispv

I am also probing upgrade. Have 10" monitor but almost zero sound coming from door speakers. Very low quality overall. One vendor suggested a either a line level amp and new speakers; or, a line level converter and new amp. THoughts on solutions you come up with appreciated.

Dan
2019 Sprinter Cargo 4x4

Mr Makai

I am also probing upgrade. Have 10" monitor but almost zero sound coming from door speakers. Very low quality overall. One vendor suggested a either a line level amp and new speakers; or, a line level converter and new amp. THoughts on solutions you come up with appreciated.

Dan

2019 Sprinter Cargo 4x4
Exactly the same situation.

GLJones

I just experimented with my 2019 Passenger with the 10" screen. What I determined is this:

Door and wall speakers are the same volume as the center speaker. Center speaker is aimed right into the windshield which reflects 99% of the sound right at you. Door speakers are aimed at your legs and the seat, so they sound softer from the driving position.

Using the Pan/Fade control, it only affects the door and wall speakers. Panning 100% to the back mutes the door speakers, but the center speaker is unaffected. I am thinking about adding a volume potentiometer on the middle speaker so it is easy to adjust it.

red_johnny

My plan is to disconnect the center speaker and see how that affects everything. I have to be able to control bass/treble or it will drive me nuts! I also plan to use everything behind the drivers area for the TV I will be installing. Looking at either a 27" or 32" TV, Radio/Blu-Ray combo, 4 channel amp (might need cross overs for the tweeters) and a USB powered hard drive to store movies on. I might put in a game system, dunno yet.

So for my build there will be 4 drivers and 4 tweeters behind the drivers area. I am thinking that a 4 channel amp should be sufficient to do the job. Just depends on the ohm rating and watt rating of the speakers.

aviatordoc

Following. Have the same issue. The central front speaker is overwhelming all others. I would like to swap it out for a sub.
But I know next to nothing about audio wiring and speakers. :(

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Have any of you tried damping the centre speaker by placing a book or something like a beach towel over it?

Simple fix if it works!

Keith.

eralimited57

2008 Sprinter 2500 170 Extended High Top 3.0L CRD
No it's in a 2008 but that shouldn't make a difference. The head unit is a Sony I don't know the model number.

Below is the Alpine amp that I used

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BLQA9BM?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

If you use the components that I used you won't be disappointed.

one of the sets of speakers I bought where Rockford fosgate sand they cost almost $300 and they sounded terrible.

It's hard to believe those Best buy JBL speakers for the price they charge sound so amazing but they do.

red_johnny

No it's in a 2008 but that shouldn't make a difference. The head unit is a Sony I don't know the model number.

Below is the Alpine amp that I used

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BLQA9BM?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

If you use the components that I used you won't be disappointed.

one of the sets of speakers I bought where Rockford fosgate sand they cost almost $300 and they sounded terrible.

It's hard to believe those Best buy JBL speakers for the price they charge sound so amazing but they do.
Sorry but this is likely apples and oranges comparison. We are talking 2 drastically different systems and components. A 2008 is a vastly different stereo system than a 2019+. Also with this type of info-tainment system I don't think its as simple as just disconnecting and adding in a new radio.

kingshade

Have any of you tried damping the centre speaker by placing a book or something like a beach towel over it?

Simple fix if it works!

Keith.
I actually tried this before i got in there to disconnect it.. you're right, it does kind of work because the main problem is the volume of the thing.. I'm waiting for someone with more electronics experience than me to suggest what resistor on what wire would cut the sound in about half.. then I'd plug it back in.

drbutton

EL9 Audio Systems Speakers, 5 Front, 8 Rear Compared to Sprinter 906 Carry Over Advanced New
Installation of a two-way loudspeaker system. The specification of code EL8 is extended with a further four tweeters and four mid-range woofers fitted in the sidewall/sliding door and in the left- and right-hand rear side paneling in the passenger compartment.
Benefits:  Excellent sound quality due to 13 speakers  Improved listening pleasure in passenger compartment
Offers excellent sound quality, due to separate tweeters and mid-range woofers, and improved listening pleasure for passengers, wherever they happen to be sitting.
EL8 was not in the DOG given to me by the dealer very early in 2019, so I really was unable to order this - I guess it was added later? My van seems to have a lot of speakers all over - its difficult to count how many. In any case, it does not sound very good considering that it has at least 13 speakers.

Redstone

I'm in the middle of upgrading my 2019 speakers. First thing I did was disconnect middle speaker which made a world of difference. The door speakers are attached to the panel versus the door... I used the old speaker ring as a bracket.... idea credit to HustleLife on YouTube works really well... just don't know the polarity of the wire. I went with JL audio for speakers. JL1 for the doors and JL2 for the the rears. THe tweeter installation was ...interesting.... good luck with second screw.... If anyone can pass along a diagram for VS30 would be appreciated, hope this helps

red_johnny

I'm in the middle of upgrading my 2019 speakers. First thing I did was disconnect middle speaker which made a world of difference. The door speakers are attached to the panel versus the door... I used the old speaker ring as a bracket.... idea credit to HustleLife on YouTube works really well... just don't know the polarity of the wire. I went with JL audio for speakers. JL1 for the doors and JL2 for the the rears. THe tweeter installation was ...interesting.... good luck with second screw.... If anyone can pass along a diagram for VS30 would be appreciated, hope this helps
So are you saying the speaker is attached to the flimsy decorative door trims? That doesn't sound good. When you said you used the old speaker ring did you attach it back to the flimsy panel?

Shansen

I have a 2019 Cargo with 7" display and just finished a stereo upgrade and the sound is amazing. I'm doing the rest of conversion myself but decided with all of the unknowns I'd use a local shop for the stereo install and am very glad I did. The cost of labor was only a few hundred and they spent 10hrs on the install. They are an experienced shop recommended by local MB and still had to overcome a few challenges.

Here's what was done: Center speaker disconnected, Polk DB652 6" speakers in the rear doors, ARC 6.2 6" front door speakers with tweeters in the dash, Candy-X5B 5 channel amp, L7T8 Kicker square 8" woofer, potentiometer (2) for woofer and rear speakers, module to automatically switch on amp with accessory power.

The components are not high end (check out on Amazon) but the sound is better than great and you can't begin to compare the difference from stock to this upgrade. Actually, kind of irritates me that Mercedes puts such junk speakers in. Hands free controls are much improved and sound when connected for calls is 100% better. Work was done at North County Mobile Electronics in Oceanside, CA.

VanGoSki

I have a 2019 Cargo with 7" display and just finished a stereo upgrade and the sound is amazing. I'm doing the rest of conversion myself but decided with all of the unknowns I'd use a local shop for the stereo install and am very glad I did. The cost of labor was only a few hundred and they spent 10hrs on the install. They are an experienced shop recommended by local MB and still had to overcome a few challenges.

Here's what was done: Center speaker disconnected, Polk DB652 6" speakers in the rear doors, ARC 6.2 6" front door speakers with tweeters in the dash, Candy-X5B 5 channel amp, L7T8 Kicker square 8" woofer, potentiometer (2) for woofer and rear speakers, module to automatically switch on amp with accessory power.

The components are not high end (check out on Amazon) but the sound is better than great and you can't begin to compare the difference from stock to this upgrade. Actually, kind of irritates me that Mercedes puts such junk speakers in. Hands free controls are much improved and sound when connected for calls is 100% better. Work was done at North County Mobile Electronics in Oceanside, CA.
Welcome and thanks for the great first post. Just curious, where is the woofer installed? Also, why is the potentiometer(s?) necessary for the rear speakers? Can't you just control the output using the rear fader on the MBUX controls?

Mr Makai

Thank you.

I went to the audio place recommend by my MB dearer their estimate was around 2k for front and rear speakers, a sub, and an amp plus labor.

I'm sure it would sound amazing but yikes!

Chadmatic

Thank you.

I went to the audio place recommend by my MB dearer their estimate was around 2k for front and rear speakers, a sub, and an amp plus labor.

I'm sure it would sound amazing but yikes!

That sounds about right for good quality components. Out of curiosity, which brands did they recommend?

Top Bottom