Are RV Manufacturers Required to State the Empty Weight of their RVs?

imstilllarry

As an owner who has added hardly-removable features to my rig -- thick Hellwig Sway Bar, new Leaf Springs, large Fox Shocks -- would I be required to get a new label created stating the Reduced CCC once those were installed? Interesting stuff in this can of worms...

With those suspension upgrades I think the new able would be an increase in CCC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gamma1966

2013 Chassis /14 Unity MB
With those suspension upgrades I think the new able would be an increase in CCC.

IMHO I also believe the addition of suspension upgrades, listed by Scarecrow; which I also had done on my 2014 a couple of months after purchasing my rig, increases the load carrying capacity of the rig. The only thing not addressed by these upgrades is "breaking power", so over-loading does reduces the ability to safely stop the vehicle in a potential crash event. Knowing this I drive "55 to Stay Alive" when ever on the interstate and freeways, and always in the right lane whenever possible.

Scarecrow

2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
So do I. But those more knowledgeable than I say none of them matter because CCC is directly determined by the chassis design, and nothing you add can increase the CCC. I'm sure those members will jump in here in just a few minutes... waiting... still waiting... they must be sleeping...

imstilllarry

I think one of us should field test this. Load up about 10,000 pounds of stuff, drive a range of roads and conditions, and report your findings to the group. =-)

Scarecrow

That brings up an interesting point. I wonder how they determine the CCC of the initial configuration? Much less when any alterations are made? I did buy the Kindle version of the Federal Record on this. But it will take several rum toddies for me to sit still long enough to read it.

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
And, apparently, several attempts by the industry to overthrow or modify those requirements. Looks like this happened in 2007, and 2010 -- and maybe other years. I have not read the full Register, yet.
You dont have to pay to get a full copy of the FMVSS.

Just go to this government web page and select the PDF download on the left side. That will give you a 881 page document of the entire PART 571—FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS. Then you can just search the document for current info on weights and OCCC labeling.

https://www.govinfo.gov/app/details/CFR-2011-title49-vol6/CFR-2011-title49-vol6-part571

Edit: The applicable info is in FMVSS 571.120 Tire selection and rims and motor home/recreation vehicle
trailer load carrying capacity information for motor vehicles with a GVWR of more than 4,536 kilograms
(10,000 pounds).

Last edited:

Scarecrow

I did not see that link before buying the Kindle eBook. Ah, well... thanks for the feedback!

Gamma1966

2013 Chassis /14 Unity MB
The mystery to me is how the RV is rated for a maximum carrying load. I assume the marketing people at MB in Germany decided they wanted to target a small truck segment, and picked a GVWR they thought would cover most the target market, without taking market share away from the bigger diesel trucks. Then the RV manufacturers started looking for a chassis / motor platform that would match the market segment they wanted to build for .. i.e. Class B+ and Class C. The whole issue of CCC is the net result CVWR less the weight of the stuff the RV manufacturer loads on the truck platform.

My point is the target market segment MB choose to compete in with the Sprinter Chassis requires a certain amount of carrying capacity; which did not necessarily meet the RV market needs. I am sure the design of the Sprinter frame, brakes, power train, etc are all over the minimum required to meet the CVWR. How much over?? Ford and GM both have touted in advertising for their trucks that they are far exceed any and all government standards; which I assume also includes the CVWR of the trucks.

Also since it has been reported in the Federal document listed above that over 50% of the RV's and Trailers ( both commercial and recreational ) are over weight by a factor of 20% and there does not appear to be a lot of press about accidents caused by over weight vehicles.

pigtrailrv

2020 Unity FX
So do I. But those more knowledgeable than I say none of them matter because CCC is directly determined by the chassis design, and nothing you add can increase the CCC. I'm sure those members will jump in here in just a few minutes... waiting... still waiting... they must be sleeping...
You are correct, nothing you can do will change the official/stickered CCC of the vehicle.

In real world terms you would have to find the weak link that causes Mercedes to limit the GVWR to 11,030, I do not know what this is. Could be tires, rims, axles, frame, etc.

Many factors go into this, Scarecrow, although you made suspension improvements that surely improved your ride if the total weight of those improvements are more than the original parts you replaced then you officially lost some ability to carry cargo because your CCC did not change.

Weighing the vehicle is the only way to see if one has exceeded the GVWR.

mikeme

2015 LTV IB: 2015 3500 V6
IMHO I also believe the addition of suspension upgrades, listed by Scarecrow; which I also had done on my 2014 a couple of months after purchasing my rig, increases the load carrying capacity of the rig. The only thing not addressed by these upgrades is "breaking power", so over-loading does reduces the ability to safely stop the vehicle in a potential crash event. Knowing this I drive "55 to Stay Alive" when ever on the interstate and freeways, and always in the right lane whenever possible.
Nothing you have done will increase the capacity rating of the vehicle. Check out the fine print on websites for all your "improvements".

The things that stop the vehicle are Brakes, not Breaks. (I am a sometimes believer in the if you cannot spell it, perhaps you should not make statements on the subject)

Any increase in weight of the extra stuff you had installed comes out of the CCC.

As others have stated, is is possible to decrease the capacity by installation of inferior tires.

There are freeways in America where driving 55 puts yourself and others at risk by jamming up the flow of traffic, and causing more opportunities for crashes in the otherwise unneeded congestion. there is a place for keeping up with the flow of traffic. Best schedule your travel in these places for off-peak periods if you insist on driving overloaded and want to crawl down the highway.

mikeme

One question I do have is this...
There is (or was) such a thing as a Modified or Reduced CCC Label. As an owner who has added hardly-removable features to my rig -- thick Hellwig Sway Bar, new Leaf Springs, large Fox Shocks -- would I be required to get a new label created stating the Reduced CCC once those were installed? Interesting stuff in this can of worms...
The labeling requirements are levied on those who modify and sell vehicles, not the owner.

It is your responsibility to include all the heavy stuff you bolted on when you calculate the weight of cargo to ensure you are under the weight ratings of the vehicle.

I do not think there is any enforcement of this, state excess weight controls are focused on the big rigs.

Nothing you have done will increase the capacity rating of the vehicle. Check out the fine print on websites for all your "improvements".

The things that stop the vehicle are Brakes, not Breaks. (I am a sometimes believer in the if you cannot spell it, perhaps you should not make statements on the subject)

Any increase in weight of the extra stuff you had installed comes out of the CCC.

As others have stated, is is possible to decrease the capacity by installation of inferior tires.

There are freeways in America where driving 55 puts yourself and others at risk by jamming up the flow of traffic, and causing more opportunities for crashes in the otherwise unneeded congestion. there is a place for keeping up with the flow of traffic. Best schedule your travel in these places for off-peak periods if you insist on driving overloaded and want to crawl down the highway.
I have to disagree... 55 mph is not "crawling down the highway". As a matter of fact it's the speed limit for big trucks is several states.

I don't know where you take your RV but having been in almost every major American city there is no way I'm going to try to "run with the pack" going 80 mph. To the best of my knowledge the minimum speed limit on most interstate highways is 45 mph so doing 55 certainly isn't breaking any laws. Running 80 mph "nut to butt" in the hammer lane certainly is.

mikeme

Fair enough on adhering to moderate speeds, and if you have taken action on the imagined increase in GVW from suspension improvements, its probably a good idea. put a few more psi in the tires too.

you also have the luxury of getting off a heavily traveled, high rate of speed highway and taking the back road.

Fair enough on adhering to moderate speeds, and if you have taken action on the imagined increase in GVW from suspension improvements, its probably a good idea. put a few more psi in the tires too.

you also have the luxury of getting off a heavily traveled, high rate of speed highway and taking the back road.
Actually under on GVWR and combined. I do not subscribe to the school of thought that one can increase GVWR over the manufacturers specs.

Scarecrow

I know on the speed issue that slowing down had an immediate effect on gas mileage (improved), and bug splatter (greatly reduced). And an added benefit is the ability to actually use those pull-over spots when I find them, rather than buzzing by so fast that I cannot. Not sure I would feel comfortable doing 55 on a 75 or 80mph road, however. Might drop to 60 or 65. I think one should let the traffic dictate this a bit. And beware of the dingbats doing 95 that will creep up on you in a flash. My apologies to any dingbats that lurk here. You know who you are!

Top Bottom