door adjustment

sp99drac9r

This post is perfectly timed, thank you. I just got my 2006 140" SHC and the rear doors are in dire need of adjustment.

Question: where did this document come from?? :thinking: It looks like it might be from a factory shop manual that I am desperately looking for.

glasseye

This post is perfectly timed, thank you. I just got my 2006 140" SHC and the rear doors are in dire need of adjustment.
Let us know how you make out. I'm finding that, no matter what adjustments I do, they're still loose at the top. Squeek, squeek, rattle, rattle, curse, curse.:idunno:

sp99drac9r

So I took a first pass at adjusting the rear doors. Previously, the skid plate on left rear door would bind badly at the bottom. Now it closes okay, but still without the smooth operation I'd like to see from a Mercedes product. I'm pretty sure this could improve. I'll take a second pass when I strip out the van to insulate it, so we'll see if I can improve upon that.

flman

Thanks Max, we are having door problems on our T1N, we will use it when we get a chance :rad:

2002sprinterman

Minnesota
Dick,

Thanks for the links. The first one was inactive and the second went to the manual for a 2005. Apparently there was a design change in the hinges on the front doors from 2002 to 2005. The hinges on my Sprinter takes a torx socket to adjust the way it looks....in addition to the torx headed bolts. I just bought my Sprinter and want to make sure everything is in correct alignment before I spend the big money to wrap it in advertising for the business.

Thanks to all for the helpful posts here! You are a great group of people and I hope to get knowledgable enough about my Sprinter to actually help someone else someday!

autostaretx

Erratic Member
the second went to the manual for a 2005.
Despite the file being named "05", it really is the 2003 Service Manual
(in Acrobat, click "File", then "Properties" ... it was written/created in April 2003.)
It is also the exact same file which a Dodge dealer once had posted as the 2003 manual.
I have a for-real-from-dealer CD of the 2004 manual, and it's Properties shows a creation date of May 2004.

But it is a pity that the 2003 manual doesn't cover the 2002's door system.
good luck hunting
--dick

2002sprinterman

Minnesota
Despite the file being named "05", it really is the 2003 Service Manual
(in Acrobat, click "File", then "Properties" ... it was written/created in April 2003.)
It is also the exact same file which a Dodge dealer once had posted as the 2003 manual.
I have a for-real-from-dealer CD of the 2004 manual, and it's Properties shows a creation date of May 2004.

But it is a pity that the 2003 manual doesn't cover the 2002's door system.
good luck hunting
--dick
Thank you.....through trial and error I managed to get the doors adjusted today! Now the lights on the dash are no longer blinking and I don't have to repeatedly push the remote to lock or unlock the van. :rad: I like it when things work the way they are supposed to!

The links you provided did offer some help....thanks again.

krisinak

hmm six year old thread...has anyone built and used a gauge block for the upper wedge adjustment? i did a copy and paste from a door adjust pdf file file:///C:/Users/jkl/Downloads/Door%20Adjustment%20with%20Hinges%20(1).pdf

Construct a gauge block out of hardwood or plastic (See Figure 22). The gauge is
required for adjusting the upper closing wedges on the rear doors.
Figure 22 Gauge Block Dimensions in mm (inches)

misterbond10

I have along with additional flat gauges to check the other gaps. They helped immensly you cant do it without them and also I adjusted all my doors by myself. To make the flat gauges I superglued pieces of paint mixer sticks together (free at home depot) and sanded them until I made a couple of 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm I made a bunch.

There is a recent thread in t1n talk to check out here:
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35103

make the C shaped gauge out of hardwood or evn better synthetic plastic wood

krisinak

i would love to see a photo of the c shaped guage in use. i am unclear just where it fits. also the seems to be one dimension missing from the drawing....or is that just me?

ianfritz

Does anyone know how to adjust the door striker as described in the Sprinter Door Adjustment Supplement referenced earlier in this thread?
I have a 2003 Dodge Sprinter. The striker itself has a hexagonal base where it attaches to the metal angle-iron plate where it attaches, but a significant amount of force with an adjustable c-wrench does not seem to loosen it. I don't want to apply too much force and break it. Does anyone know if that thing is supposed to turn? I'd like to be able to play with the adjustment to see if it helps my rear door issue.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The rear door pin itself is threaded at the base. Rotating counterclockwise will loosen it. That will allow you to adjust its position. Note that you will need to hold the secondary guard plate in alignment as you adjust as well. make sure to mark before you move it so you have a reference.

Kim_Marcus

Kim Possible 2004 2500 SR
It's in the service manual, and it's pretty simple: adjust hinges to get the round-the-door gap "even", then adjust the striker bolt.
The 2003 service manual can be downloaded from:
http://204.95.8.185/sprinter/sprinter-manual.pdf
and/or
http://www.filefront.com/thankyou.p...355499064c0caad60c70eb1d2e0fcf84f9a69c436fa8e

good luck
--dick
Hi, these links are not working. Is there a chance you could relink these docs for us or point me in the right direction to find them myself. Thank you for your efforts.

autostaretx

Erratic Member

Top Bottom