Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Sprinter Talk

Sprinter Talk General discussion about anything and everything about Sprinters.
SubForums: Events Scanners

Old 03-08-2018, 06:56 PM   #21
RVCuisineScene

Default Re: 4x4 or RWD?

Quote:
For those replying to this thread regarding winter driving, it might help if you add what tires are on the van. I had all-seasons on my rig and couldn't get out of my driveway if there was any snow. With studded snows I don't even spin a tire when it is a sheet of ice on my driveway.
The stock tires on my 2017 3500 4X4 are all weather, they have a fairly aggressive tread and work great. IMHO tires are only one factor involved in winter driving, I've taken my wife's front wheel drive Mazda CX-7 with highway tires up Wolf Creek pass in the snow without problems however momentum was key along with lot's of experience driving in snow combined with good geographic knowledge of the pass along with knowing where to drive it terms of when to stay in a " snow/ice packed path" vs going to a side to get better traction.
Having stated all this I'll probably get stuck this Sunday when we're supposed to get our next snowfall!
RVCuisineScene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:32 AM   #22
hugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTD View Post
typically require 4X4 or 2WD w/chains. So for me 4x4 was a requirement as I really hate chaining up.
This is my problem, heading up to ski, the road is often posted 4x4 or chains only. I'm starting to see a lot of 4x4 sprinters in the Alta lot - a few weeks back I counted 7.

I chickened out on the sprinter when the dealer could hardly get the 4x4 to engage and when it did it had the crazy clunking people here have described. On the plus side I saved a bunch of money when I bought a cheap subaru but I do stare longingly at the sprinters when I see them.
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:36 AM   #23
3rdGen2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
I chickened out on the sprinter when the dealer could hardly get the 4x4 to engage and when it did it had the crazy clunking people here have described.
I'm eager to see if that will be fully fixed in the new generation of sprinters
3rdGen2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #24
Wrinkledpants

We put in a few hundred miles last weekend in the Fruita area. So glad to have 4x4 - totally worth the ability to get to those hard to reach campsites.

Untitled by Reid, on Flickr
4wheeldog (03-13-2018), Obliged (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 03:14 AM   #25
Monsterdood

Default 4x4 or RWD?

2016 144 high roof 2wd with the 4 cyl here. I have Goodyear Duratracs and probably had the pressure too high, but got stuck this weekend in a fairly benign parking lot with 4-5Ē of snow in it. The parking lot was on a slight incline and as I pulled in, I thought I should back in putting the rear wheels lower on the slope. Didnít make a difference, I was stuck. I put chains on and was able to easily drive out of the parking lot, but with the roads plowed, I was stuck with not needing chains except for the parking lot where we were staying, so I drove around town at 30mph all weekend (Mt Snow, VT). After the lot was plowed, I pulled the chains and was able to get in and out albeit with some slippage. I will get a set of winter tires next year and carry the chains and see if I can remove my buyers remorse for not waiting for a 4x4.

Last edited by Monsterdood; 03-14-2018 at 03:17 AM.
Monsterdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:28 AM   #26
ENMeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterdood View Post
2016 144 high roof 2wd with the 4 cyl here. I have Goodyear Duratracs and probably had the pressure too high, but got stuck this weekend in a fairly benign parking lot with 4-5Ē of snow in it. The parking lot was on a slight incline and as I pulled in, I thought I should back in putting the rear wheels lower on the slope. Didnít make a difference, I was stuck. I put chains on and was able to easily drive out of the parking lot, but with the roads plowed, I was stuck with not needing chains except for the parking lot where we were staying, so I drove around town at 30mph all weekend (Mt Snow, VT). After the lot was plowed, I pulled the chains and was able to get in and out albeit with some slippage. I will get a set of winter tires next year and carry the chains and see if I can remove my buyers remorse for not waiting for a 4x4.
I'd think with snow tires, you'd have been fine (since I've been in the same boat a few times).

In that situation, I would have driven in a few feet, backed out, driven in a few more feet, backed out again, etc. Just little tricks to keep from being really stuck. I don't carry chains, so I think a lot about heading into difficult situations. And that's the thing about 4x4... you don't have to think about situations like that as much. I don't mind it, but others value the worry-free 4x4 feature.

Great pic. I'm not a fan of white, but yours looks great with the ladder and light bar, etc.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:28 AM   #27
NorthEastSprinter

I will chime in after driving over 100k miles in my NCV3 model sprinters.

The first was a 6cyl 2wd low roof 2500 weighing 9400LBs. Bridgestone W965 snow tires. NO ISSUES. dont try to defy physics but it will go almost anywhere in snow.
In this truck I used Duratrac tires for the summer, fall and spring season. Try using them in winter and the same vehicle could barely get anywhere in two inches of snow, let alone stop, turn, etc.

The current vehicle a 170EXTENDED 3500 2wd. vehicle weighs almost 12,000LBS. It goes anywhere in any snow storm. I pulled out of my driveway over a 3 ft burm from the plow with no issues. I did get it stuck in 1.5ft of snow, but I shouldnt have been where I was. Possibly could have gotten out however the embankment and obstacles were not worth the risk. The summer,fall and spring tires are TOYO M-55. Amazing tires. Better then the duratracks by miles. Wear better as well as hold the truck better due to the stiff sidewall design. The M-55 is kinda ok in snow but dont try to drive when its slick out there. I have chains for thr 3500 but never needed them.

Now a 4x4 with snow tires is a different ball game. I have a Ram with 4wd and snow tires as well as a few vehicles in the family with true 4x4 or AWD and snows. Unbeatable and worth every penny. Located in the New England area.

It should be a given with any RWD vehicle. keep four 80LB concrete bags in the rear of the vehicle if you dont have enough weight. Move them to the back doors when the snow comes. Cantilever weight is very powerful tool with good tires.

Last edited by NorthEastSprinter; 03-14-2018 at 04:30 AM.
NorthEastSprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:33 AM   #28
elemental

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthEastSprinter View Post
keep four 80LB concrete bags in the rear of the vehicle if you dont have enough weight. Move them to the back doors when the snow comes. Cantilever weight is very powerful tool with good tires.
Bags of sand work well, too. And you can spread the sand for traction on ice/frozen slush/snow if you need to (but make sure you have a way to close up the bag so it doesn't leak all over the back of your van).
The Following User Says Thank You to elemental For This Useful Post:
4wheeldog (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 06:03 AM   #29
Sprinter Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down by the river. View Post
Hello! Was wanting to hear peoples opinions of owning a 4x4 or just a RWD rig. For those of you that are currently driving the RWD, are you satisfied with where you can go and how it handles in not so fair conditions i.e. Mud, snow, and ice.. and for the ones who have the 4x4, was it worth the price difference?

Thanks!
I am. I took it easy over ice, snow, mud and carried chains, which I did not use. My 2016 MB Crew 144," low top, RWD handled great partly because I kept the speed down. It's important to have good tread on snow / mud tires.
Sprinter Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:18 PM   #30
4wheeldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemental View Post
Bags of sand work well, too. And you can spread the sand for traction on ice/frozen slush/snow if you need to (but make sure you have a way to close up the bag so it doesn't leak all over the back of your van).
I have a pair of 5 gallon plastic fuel cans full of sand for that use in my Tacoma (4wd) pickup.
It keeps the 150lbs of sand contained, and it is available for spreading for traction if need be.
I really do not plan on carrying an extra 150lbs in my Sprinter, when it finally arrives.
4wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sprinter, sprinter 2500