Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Sprinter Talk

Sprinter Talk General discussion about anything and everything about Sprinters.
SubForums: Events Scanners

Old 03-07-2018, 08:59 PM   #1
Down by the river.

Default 4x4 or RWD?

Hello! Was wanting to hear peoples opinions of owning a 4x4 or just a RWD rig. For those of you that are currently driving the RWD, are you satisfied with where you can go and how it handles in not so fair conditions i.e. Mud, snow, and ice.. and for the ones who have the 4x4, was it worth the price difference?

Thanks!
Down by the river. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:36 PM   #2
bfly

Default Re: 4x4 or RWD?

I've taken my RWD 144 to Telluride, Vail, Steamboat, Copper Mtn, Jackson Hole, etc. this winter without any issues. Some of those trips have been in pretty nasty weather. Studded snows work the charm for winter driving in the Sprinter.
bfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:59 PM   #3
ENMeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfly View Post
I've taken my RWD 144 to Telluride, Vail, Steamboat, Copper Mtn, Jackson Hole, etc. this winter without any issues. Some of those trips have been in pretty nasty weather. Studded snows work the charm for winter driving in the Sprinter.
Similar driving here. Drove over Wolf Creek pass the other day after they had 33" of new snow. (roads were plowed, but 4" fresh on top of the plowed road). Haven't been stuck or wished for 4x4 in the last 85,000 miles.

RWD - cheaper, lighter, better fuel economy, less complicated.

4x4 if you have the cash and just want that feeling of security that 4x4 provides. Rarely necessary, IMHO.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:01 PM   #4
odix@yahoo.com
'16 I4 2WD High Roof

Hi, you'll receive self-selecting answers. I'm a 2WD owner and it's fine but I have had some issues. Even smooth fire roads, if a rear wheel lifts (sharp corners or uneven surface), can be problematic. Tires and tire pressure make a significant difference but 4WD has advantages. The one 2WD situation to avoid, described here in a few threads, is nose down a dirt slope if you may have to back out. In those situations back down and you can drive up and out nose first. I am aware of the van's limitations. A hitch helps if you need to be towed out of a tricky area. Overall I love my van, I4 seven speed, 144" high roof. Backing up a steep driveway may cause some rubber to burn but it's fine. Know your vehicle's limitations. Know how to disable traction control. Have fun with either a 2WD or 4WD.
odix@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to odix@yahoo.com For This Useful Post:
casmith32 (03-09-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 10:02 PM   #5
vanski
'05 Box Snow Camper

i'm in a similar place as bfly... went all through BC Canada, Western Alberta CA, down through Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah... no issues with good tires. of course I hate having to chain up where chain controls exist. some folks put little 4x4 emblems on their rigs to trick the chain control folks...

BUT i have been stuck in the mud, snow, ice a few times having to put on chains to get out. i had a very scary situation recently where google maps lead me down a road to Mt Hood that wasn't plowed and I got stuck in a couple feet of snow trying to turn around. no cell phone reception, no one around, two dogs in the rig, had to back country ski (skin) my way out to find company which would 'extract' me out. thank god i had my BC gear, and plenty of water and food if I had to stay for a few days.... I really shouldn't have been where I was, lesson learned. $650! it doesn't take much to get a rwd Sprinter stuck if you lose your momentum. disabling asr by pushing the button can help, but not too much.

sooo... rwd sprinters are very capable on snowy plowed roads, but there are limitations.. lots of limitations. I would much rather have 4x4.

if your wallet is thick, i'd go for a 4x4. if not, just properly set your expectations, carry chains perhaps a come along perhaps traction boards, and know to turn around before it's too late!

Last edited by vanski; 03-07-2018 at 10:14 PM.
vanski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vanski For This Useful Post:
JIB (03-08-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 10:07 PM   #6
ENMeyer

Taking vanski's advice is great - think before you go too far down a sketchy road.

It seems to me that many SUV drivers these days don't even want to think about driving in snow/ice/mud, they just want the SUV to protect them. I drive around these people on my way to work in my RWD van as they spin out on the all-season tires.

As they say:

4x4: allowing you to get stuck further from help than RWD
Old 03-07-2018, 10:36 PM   #7
mtbkers

I had a 170 RWD and never had a problem in snow/ice/potholed fireroads as long as the ditches weren't super deep (that's just what we used before we had the choice). Then we bought a 144 RWD (and installed the same tires as our old van as we were so happy with them, not snow specific) and got caught in the early snow storm in Tahoe. It was the scariest things I've ever experienced. I had no traction, slipping along a road with a very gentle incline at less than 10 mph on fresh snow - not ice.

The difference, apart from the wheelbase, was that we had absolutely no weight over the rear wheels as we're in the process of building it. Whereas my 170 was fully loaded with a bank of AGM batteries and a huge water tank at the back of the vehicle.

So, I'll make sure to add lots of weight at the back of the van if I'm driving in snow again, but apart from that, I love, love, love the 4 cyl 7speed engine.
mtbkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:06 PM   #8
Wrinkledpants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENMeyer View Post
Similar driving here. Drove over Wolf Creek pass the other day after they had 33" of new snow. (roads were plowed, but 4" fresh on top of the plowed road). Haven't been stuck or wished for 4x4 in the last 85,000 miles.

RWD - cheaper, lighter, better fuel economy, less complicated.

4x4 if you have the cash and just want that feeling of security that 4x4 provides. Rarely necessary, IMHO.
Not necessary for public roads. Pretty necessary if you're leaving the forest road, or on any 4x4 designated trails. A Sprinter 4x4 will handle many of the class 3/4 routes in Colorado, but you won't make that with a RWD version.

I consider 4x4 to be really good value on Colorado's roads. Especially when pulling off through snow banks, or at remote trail heads when you get a healthy dumping of snow, or if things get nasty in the summer. Doesn't take much rain to make a trail impassable to a RWD vehicle if there are larger rock slabs involved.

Just depends on what your usage is. If you plan on sticking to most surfaces that you'd find a Subaru on, you may not *need* 4x4. If you want to really get off the beaten path, you'll want 4x4. If you're van is lighter, I'd say 4x4 is going to be necessary, or you'll be chaining up a lot.

We're not rich, but consider 4x4 to be excellent value for our usage.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:11 PM   #9
vanski
'05 Box Snow Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENMeyer View Post

As they say:

4x4: allowing you to get stuck further from help than RWD
agreed... many folks just push the limits no matter what. 4x4 just increases the limits some folks will inevitably push. and these are big heavy vehicles and in certain situations you'll need one hell of a big extraction vehicle to get out.

i've been getting 4x4 trucks stuck since i was 16. i can't believe some the terrain i got over in my earlier years.

i feel like i'm learning my and the vehicles limitations better but my Mt Hood situation of late really put things into perspective as to how dangerous things can get.

4x4 can = false security which can = a very dangerous situation. i've seen it too many times especially among folks who just don't understand how to drive in variable, slippery, terrain. there's an art to it and just because you have a 4x4 doesn't mean you're getting home that night.
vanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:23 PM   #10
fourgonbound
Winnebago View 24J 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinkledpants View Post
If you plan on sticking to most surfaces that you'd find a Subaru on, you may not *need* 4x4. If you want to really get off the beaten path, you'll want 4x4
You sure you wanna have all your cabinetry and glassware go through those rough roads?
fourgonbound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sprinter, sprinter 2500