2003/612 alternative fuel filter interval?

Coolio

So for those of you who have switched over to the alternative fuel filter for the 612 that does not have the water port/ water sensor...how often do you change the filter? Being that you do not have the ability to know when there is possible water in it, is it prudent to switch it out more often? Cheers

You're assuming that the water will be trapped in that filter. I planned to install a Mahle KL 313 pre filter in my T1N. (Never did get around to installing a pre-filter. :rolleyes:) The KL 313 filter is OEM for many MB V6 diesels, but not the Sprinter. When I checked with Mahle about water separation they indicated that there was no provision for water separation.

The fuel filters that have a WIF capability have an additional membrane element to trap the water. Without the WIF sensor, there is no membrane.

At one time I used every other oil change for my fuel filter change trigger. Typically that would be about a 30k mile interval. I believe the 2004 is now at 50k since the last change. I do carry a spare fuel filter and tools needed to change it.

:cheers: vic

Coolio

My current filter has 12k on it and im in a no start situation...could this be clogged already? What are the signs of it going bad..no start or just running poorly? Seems pretty premature...

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
My current filter has 12k on it and im in a no start situation...could this be clogged already? What are the signs of it going bad..no start or just running poorly? Seems pretty premature...
Too soon to be clogged. No start this time of year usually is gelled/frozen diesel from lack of winter additive
My change interval was 25k

Last edited:

Have additives in it...it wouldn't start at 40 degrees Fahrenheit with a block heater on it...
First. Let's get this out of the way.
It is not gelled fuel. It is not glow plug related.

A fuel filter can plug up prematurely from poor quality fuel.

My guess.
Check your fuel rail pressure while cranking. If below 2900 psi...

Air in fuel system.
Possibly bad seals on the fuel rail solenoid.

Without some data anyone is guessing.

TooMuchHair

Hot tip from an old trucker, it is never too soon to plug a fuel filter! It can happen (and often does) with one fill up of low grade or even "stirred up" diesel if a tanker just delivered. To make matters worse, the filter on my OM642 is very small and has limited capacity to tolerate a wet or dirty purchase. Same thing applies to your T1N, maybe even worse if you don't have a lift pump. At least your T1N has the filter located in an easier spot for service I think.
:cheers:

Coolio

VIC, I have been trying to figure the FRP with icarsoft MBII and swear to god it is not an option. I have changed the fuel rail regulator orings ( that was fun!) I get a glow plug code that doesnt go away...i swapped out the old glow plug model for the new one, cut my old one open to see if anything blew and nada. I havent tested my glow plugs yet but they are less then 30k and if they ALL failed then im ****ed cause i cant warm up my engine to swap em...sorry bout the rant

Coolio

Well i swapped my fuel filter and she started up...12,000 miles? Never too soon to plug a fuel filter! Cheers

Well i swapped my fuel filter and she started up...12,000 miles? Never too soon to plug a fuel filter! Cheers
The diesel mantra also applies to Sprinters.

Operating problems? First change the fuel filter.

Good to hear you got it sorted out. :thumbup:

I think that my iCarsoft MBII is in the 2004. (The 2006 is out on loan to family.) I'll try to make time to look for the Fuel Rail Pressure section. I'm 99.999% certain that it's there, at least for the OM647 engine.

From a somewhat parallel Coolio thread.

... So i asked the question on another post of what should be the interval on the alternative fuel filter for the 612...20k seems to be the consensus but here we are...luckily i am a pro at swapping that thing now...Thanks Everybody!
Even a conservative fuel filter change interval won't completely avoid problems caused by contaminated or off grade fuel. A 20k mile filter change interval won't necessarily protect from a 12k mile early fuel filter loading up vs a 40k change interval.

It can be argued that a fresher filter has more tolerance, but your one off 12k filter change example would probably happen anyway, if it was plugged.

Can we be absolutely certain that it was a plugged filter, and not air in the system? Maybe the filter change changed sealing on the system? Might be worth cutting the filter open for visual inspection to provide another data point.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
On aircraft we occasionally deal with the same types of fuel contamination that diesel does. No matter how frequent the filter change interval, a single bad fuel event can clog the filter fast, sometimes in hours. For safety reasons aircraft have a fuel filter pressure bypass though.

Given that many people go 40-60k without changing their filter (not that I recommend it). The filter has plenty of capacity for the normal fuel contamination. But when the filtration systems on the fuel distribution system fail, it can overwhelm even a brand new filter quickly. For some contaminates it only takes 10-20 grams to render a filter too plugged to pass sufficient fuel, especially when cold.

Unlike previous diesel fuel systems, common rail systems circulate lots of fuel (gallons per minute) through the filter to cool the fuel components. The om647 can tolerate about 2-3 psi of pressure drop across the filter before issues can pop up. The 612 is lower IIRC, around 1-2 psi before the filter clog light comes on, and low rail pressure results under load.

Last edited:

Interesting story. It seems that you ran into about as many unprofessional types as anyone could in one incident.

So, as a tale often told and retold, for the lack of $20 preventive maintenance, it cost about $900 in rental cars, towing fees and parking. ...
What was your fuel filter change interval before your unfortunate travel experience? What is it now?

Coolio

The one thing that crossed my mind was that possibly the rail pressure needed to build back up after removing the fuel pressure regulator to swap the o rings. Then after the fuel filter swap and repriming that pressure was finally achieved. I do intend on cutting open the filter to take a look. I would love to know if the icarsoft MBII shows the fuel rail pressure for a 647!

Top Bottom