Remote Control Damaged - How to Open Sky Light Window?

ecobon

I am unsure if my remote control is working--the batteries are fine and I checked to make sure that the polarity was correct as per markings on the inside of the remote.

If I cannot get the remote operational, how can I operate the window? Would a universal remote work if it was programmed by another Westy owner?

Thanks!

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
I am unsure if my remote control is working--the batteries are fine and I checked to make sure that the polarity was correct as per markings on the inside of the remote.

If I cannot get the remote operational, how can I operate the window? Would a universal remote work if it was programmed by another Westy owner?

Thanks!
Have you checked the fuse for window?

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
As a Master of the Obvious..... The Crow asks ...... "Ya really sure ya got the batteries inserted the right way!" Eh!?

Is the sky light locked? Jammed? Frozen shut?

grozier

A good tip seen earlier on this or the Yahoo board for testing remotes is to point it at a smartphone or digital camera and film it while pressing buttons.

For IR devices like these, the camera can see the light. For RF devices, it will not work.

There are instructions in the Westfalia supplement on how to use the emergency crank if needed.

Ted

discus

GA Westy
I tried programming my Harmony 880 remote and it does accept the code but for some reason, the unit freezes on the down button. A single tap on the up button works fine and the skylight goes all the way up. I have to experiment some more later and also try a more conventional learning remote.

onemanvan

On the Yahoo forum a member attempted to reprogram a remote. He had the same problem with the down function. Apparently there is no work around for this issue. Some decided to install a manual switch. One of them contributed a detailed document describing the procedure. I attempted to attach it to this msg. In case that doesn't work here is a link:

https://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v2/1HoDU...5mBrmxqipgUNLFY/sunroof+document+recovery.pdf

Attachments

discus

GA Westy
The harmony remote issues a one second signal. So it does not work for the down button. The raw learn can handle long sequences, I was planning on Using buttons 1 to 9 to program a series of down button events of varying lengths with 9 long enough to close it completely. I will try that. I have also emailed harmony about making the down button work more like volume buttons but no response yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skydiver007

DRB III Owner If You Need
I program thousands of remotes. Here is what you do. Create a device in the harmony remote and simply learn the down button to the volume button which is a constant out while you hold it down. That should do it.

You could also get a simple universal remote at Walmart for $8 that has learning capability and simply learn the down to the volume button.

discus

GA Westy
I program thousands of remotes. Here is what you do. Create a device in the harmony remote and simply learn the down button to the volume button which is a constant out while you hold it down. That should do it.

You could also get a simple universal remote at Walmart for $8 that has learning capability and simply learn the down to the volume button.
I guess I haven't tried that. I did try using an old SIMA SUR-20 remote and it works just fine.

512Westy

Or you just wet your finger and swipe the rain sensor, and it closes automatically.
I found that i had to take a movie of the remote to capture the IR signal flashes. the pulses are short enough that a snapshot may or maynot capture the actual flash of the IR signal.

ecobon

I ended up pulling the bench seat forward, looking at the fuses mounted on the right hand side, pulling fuse #5, watching the LED blink on the sky light, aiming the remote and simultaneously holding the open and close buttons until the LED turned off. Everything works now. Thanks to this forum! I read through a bunch of posts until I found one about remote programming.

Again, thanks to those that responded.

WestyTat

Question - when opening /closing skylight does the light on the remotes top (tiny black) lit up?
Not sure what happened, but the skylight and the lights that remote operates do not respond to the remote. Fuse checked (ok) ; batteries in the remote ok. After reinserting fuse #5 the light on the skylight blink red for awhile.
Any ideas where else to check? Thanks!

Riptide

Question - when opening /closing skylight does the light on the remotes top (tiny black) lit up?
Not sure what happened, but the skylight and the lights that remote operates do not respond to the remote. Fuse checked (ok) ; batteries in the remote ok. After reinserting fuse #5 the light on the skylight blink red for awhile.
Any ideas where else to check? Thanks!
No. The "light" on the end of the remote is actually the infrared transmitter, so the light it transmits is not visible to the naked eye.

You can, however, "see" if the remote is working by using your iPhone. The camera on the back of the phone has an IR filter, but the camera that is above your screen does not. So, switch to the "screen" phone, and aim your remote at the camera, and press the buttons. You should be able to see a blinking light in the recorded image. This will at least tell you if the remote is transmitting...

This works on my iPhone 6; many other smartphones can see the IR emitter with their rear camera. Try it out!

Last edited:

WestyTat

Yep, it's the remote. Now the easiest option would be universal remote, but can I program it without working original remote?
Thanks!

WestyTat

I tried programming my Harmony 880 remote and it does accept the code but for some reason, the unit freezes on the down button. A single tap on the up button works fine and the skylight goes all the way up. I have to experiment some more later and also try a more conventional learning remote.
Can you tell me how you configured Harmony remote to open/ close skylight - through soft on PC or directly from original remote?

Thanks much!

WestyTat

I am confused. I thought that the procedure you are referring to is for synchronization of the original remote. Can I synchro/ teach the universal remote that way too?? That would be great!

CaptnALinTiverton

xT1N Westfalia
Sorry I misunderstood. Others have posted that you can take a good original remote and point it at a programmable one for it to learn the codes.

AL

Top Bottom