Scanner to read Injector coding?

seb303

I've just re-fitted 2 of the injectors on my 2013 Sprinter, as they were leaking quite badly. In my inexperience, I numbered them with a permanent marker pen which then immediately washed off when I started cleaning them :(

I'm 75% sure I've refitted them back in the right cylinders, but I have a niggling doubt that they could have got swapped.

I've been toying with the idea of getting an inexpensive diagnostics scanner in any case, so was wondering if any are capable of *reading* the injector coding? Or is it more likely that I would need to find somewhere with a full MB Star system to do this?

Be very grateful if someone has some experience with this...

P.S. Interestingly, the 2 leaking injectors that I refitted looked newer than the other 2, and the Mercedes DSB history shows that injectors were replaced in late 2015. Makes me suspect that the leaking came from being badly fitted by the MB workshop who did the work.

Last edited:

fritz

I just went through this... I ended up buying a used Snap-on Solus Ultra off E-Bay... around 700$ to code the injectors on my 2006. something like this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-on-So...807535?hash=item2f3c0adbef:g:5jIAAOSww~Vd8kJ6
the V# refers to the most recent year the thing will work on... I believe the V14.X will work on vehicles up to 2014 but you might want to check with Snap-On
it worked fine for me... you can call Snap-On Tech and they can tell you what will work on a 2013...
here's a youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYwyjGWc_n8&t=203s
the other way to go is the MB Star system from over seas
as far as I know none of the more inexpensive scanners will code injectors... they can read stuff but they cant "write" to the ECM

I believe that the Autel AP200 will read the classification number. I don't know if it can be used to change the settings.

The Autel MD808 PRO claims to be able to code injectors...

https://www.auteltech.com/mk2/3218

https://www.auteltech.com/u/cms/www/201910/25101526itso.pdf

Quote from page 41 - 43...

"Injector Rate Adjustment
This function is used to adjust the injector rate for individual cylinders.
1) Select Injection rate adjustment from the service functions menu
(Figure 5-20) and press OK.
2) The tool communicates with the vehicle and reads the fault codes
memory. Follow the on-screen instructions to finish this procedure.
3) Then the tool will display as below. Press the corresponding number
button to enter new value for each cylinder.
Figure 5-25 Sample Injection Rate Adjustment Screen
The option keys at the bottom of the screen work as below.
[Edit 1] Edit Cylinder 1 injector code
[Edit 2] Edit Cylinder 2 injector code
[Edit 3] Edit Cylinder 3 injector code
[Edit 4] Edit Cylinder 4 injector code
[Back] Return to the previous menu
[Restore] Retain the old value
A. Enter New Value for Cylinder
From the Injection Rate Adjustment menu (Figure 5-21), select one option
and press OK. The screen displays as below. Input a new value for a
cylinder injector.
Figure 5-26 Sample Enter New Value for Cylinder
Refer to Starting Basic Inspection Quantity on page 37 for how to enter a
new value with soft keyboard."

I don't know if anyone has tried one yet so you may be the first!

Keith.
:cheers: vic

fritz

you really need to call Autel and ask if this feature is available for Sprinters... when I call about the MD 808 they told me it was NOT available for Sprinters... it was for other vehicles but not Sprinters.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
you really need to call Autel and ask if this feature is available for Sprinters... when I call about the MD 808 they told me it was NOT available for Sprinters... it was for other vehicles but not Sprinters.
Put 'MD808 PRO' and 'Sprinter' in here it does confirm that it covers Sprinters...

https://pro.auteltech.com/measurecar-1-1.html?m=4

And then you can see all the modules it will read, etc. here...

http://download1.auteltech.net/Down...nter/en_MaxiDiag_E_Benz_Sprinter FUNCLIST.pdf

Keith.

Interesting. My MD808 Pro works great with most all of my 2006 Sprinter systems. (Maybe it works with all of them. I've had no need to access many of the modules except out of curiosity.)

Did they specify some particular model years that the MB 808 Pro wouldn't work with?

:cheers: vic

fritz

they told me the MD 808 would not enter new injector code #'s into the engine control unit on a 2006 Sprinter. To be clear, I'm not talking about reading or clearing Diagnostic Trouble Codes DTC's... I'm talking about entering the new injector codes that are printed on top of the new injectors you have installed. I have the MaxiDiag Elite and it will read a lot of things on the Sprinter, and I used it to read and clear DTC codes, but it can't enter new injector codes. I replaced all 5 injectors and had to enter the new code # printed on top of the injectors into the ECU. The snapon tool or the MB Star system is the only thing that I could find that would do that without spending thousands of $. Maybe I'm wrong about this but I would make sure before I bought any scanner if I needed to enter codes for new injectors. Now in Seb 303's case he just needs to see if he has two injectors swapped... if he has a tool that will tell him the code # for each cylinder/injector he can compare that info to the injectors themselves and determine if they are swapped. I would ask Altel or any other tool company if their product will perform the task you need. They are easy enough to contact and seem to be happy to help.

seb303

Thanks for all the replies. I have emailed Autel to ask if the AP200 can read the injector codes. I think I will order one anyway as it looks like a very useful (and inexpensive) piece of kit.

I will post back how I get on...

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Thanks for all the replies. I have emailed Autel to ask if the AP200 can read the injector codes. I think I will order one anyway as it looks like a very useful (and inexpensive) piece of kit.

I will post back how I get on...
Seb,

Just make sure you use 'BENZ-Sprinter' as your free download and let us know how you get on.

Keith.

seb303

Just got a reply from Autel for my question about whether the AP200 can read the injector codes....

please check the car and function coverage here
https://autel.com/vehicle-coverage/coverage2
Criteria: Sprinter / SprinterIII gives the results shown in the attached PDF View attachment Vehicle Coverage-AUTEL.pdf.
Nothing specifically mentioning Injector but a few cryptic entries such as:
Motor Electronics(ME)'CDI43'for combustion engine 'OM651'
Electronics(ME)'SIM271CNG906'for combustion engine 'M271CNG'

Any idea where to look up the meanings of these kind of things?

seb303

Received my AP200 and well impressed by the depth of diagnostic data available. Found the injector serial numbers and much more!

Assuming that cylinder 1 is at the front of the engine, and cylinder 4 is at the back nearest to the firewall, then I have my injectors in the right place. Can anyone confirm if this is how the Sprinter cylinders are numbered? Otherwise I'll have to take the air filter, etc. off to check the serial numbers on the injectors in cylinders 2 & 3 (which I didn't re-fit).

Some more observations about the AP200 in this post.

Just got a reply from Autel for my question about whether the AP200 can read the injector codes....

Criteria: Sprinter / SprinterIII gives the results shown in the attached PDF View attachment 123509.
Nothing specifically mentioning Injector but a few cryptic entries such as:

Any idea where to look up the meanings of these kind of things?
Got limp mode on my 2007 and and bought the AP200 to see if it would give me better DTC's than my cheap bluetooth and I'm getting that exact same cryptic message on mine... did you manage to find what is that related to?

seb303

Got limp mode on my 2007 and and bought the AP200 to see if it would give me better DTC's than my cheap bluetooth and I'm getting that exact same cryptic message on mine... did you manage to find what is that related to?
Those cryptic entries I was referring to were from the Autel website tool which displays the feature set of their products for particular vehicles. In practice once I got an AP200 itself, I found the information it gave was quite understandable. It's been a while since I've used it, but if I remember correctly there are a couple of ways it can be set up and only 1 way works properly. This thread has all the info...

Cheers,
Seb

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The

refers to what MB calls the "system" for their engines.
For an OM612 engine on the 1999-2003 Sprinter, it was a "CDI 2"
For my OM647 engine on the 2004-2006 Sprinters, it was a "CDI 3"
(the two physical ECMs were quite different: one had 5 connectors, the other had only 2)

I don't know the NCV3 engine designations off-hand, so i'm assuming that you know if you have an OM651
(the M271CNG is probably a compressed natural gas -fueled engine)("M" is conventional spark ignition)
OM is diesel (named after Otto Diesel)

--dick

Top Bottom