What do you think of the Advanced RV Sprinter?

Travelers24ever

I was just sent a sneak peak of the Oceans One. The first Sprinter model Advanced RV is showing the public.
What do you think of it?
I was hoping they would offer a none propane option. So far, they have not shown a floor plan that I can find.

I was just sent a sneak peak of the Oceans One. The first Sprinter model Advanced RV is showing the public.
What do you think of it?
I was hoping they would offer a none propane option. So far, they have not shown a floor plan that I can find.
Maybe post the link(s) so people will be looking at the same thing which you are? vic

Interested to see and hear more. Since I'm just an hour away from them, I contacted them through their site first, and got a response from Mike. I had also mentioned this forum and that I'd be letting others know about them through here, to which he replied he'd be interested in visiting and checking into the forum.

I wrote a second email asking about possible servicing of other sprinter vehicles as well as a few other questions which arose as a result of his first response to me. Never heard another word.

I will wait awhile, and wait to see their other models on the site before venturing over there.

I must say, I love the underfloor heating idea.

GS

Davydd

The Ocean One floor plan is now published on their website. It closely resembles the Great West Van Legend EX.

Davydd

I wrote a second email asking about possible servicing of other sprinter vehicles as well as a few other questions which arose as a result of his first response to me. Never heard another word.
They are converter manufacturers not a service dealership. I've been to their facilities. I thought they were rather magnanimous in mentioning they were willing to work with other Class B owners on a screen door solution. It wasn't clear to me if that was just design and material sales or actual installation. But other than that screen door mention which I think was just their enthusiasm showing, I would think they would have a big task and effort ahead to convert their own Bs and would have no time or personnel that I could see that would service other converted Bs. That simply is not their business.

It's a startup company. Time will tell, but knowing the owner and Mike Ellis, if you have some desires for a B design and what it should have, I think they more than most would be willing to listen and work with you. Interestingly, that kind of interplay is pretty much how the company came about.

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
I think the Ventura has the slight advantage of placing the fridge & microwave across from the range.... so the galley is more compact. Disadvantage is that it may put a bit more weight aft than the Advanced design. Also, locations of the grey/black water tanks may be more forward on the Ventura putting more weight forward of the center of the vehicle. FWIW.

Advanced design seems to have more aisle width.

Moot points as Thor/FourWinds doesn't make Ventura any more.

7Summits

7Summits
The Ocean One floor plan is now published on their website. It closely resembles the Great West Van Legend EX.

Appears that they sacrificed the larger refrigerator that the GW Legend EX enjoys and put a permanent sink in the bath, but knowing Mike Ellis and his background, possibly he decided "Why change a good thing!".
Hmmmm...........do we sound a bit biased regarding the GW Legend EX??!! :smilewink:

Davydd

What the Four Winds doesn't have is the tri-fold sofa without the ottomans that can slide forward with extra storage in the back if you desire it. Also the Four Winds is missing the cabinet which if like the GWVan Legend EX is space to be flexible for other options. Do they make a Four Winds anymore? If the bath location is like the Pleasure-way Plateau then rotating the driver's seat around would not work as well.

7Summits, The Advanced RV refrigerator is a 7.2 CF one with a removable freezer compartment. The Legend EX specs list a 6 CF ref/freezer.

Like I originally mentioned the plan is a clone of the Legend EX. That Four Winds plan is closer to the LTV Free Spirit and the Pleasure-way Plateau TS but with a longer body. The difference from the Legend EX besides the fixed bathroom sink is the flared face of the refrigerator and cabinet in an attempt to create more living space up front and hopefully make the swiveled around driver's seat more functional. What we haven't seen yet are the overhead cabinet details. That is an area the GWVan Legend could use some improvement on that I know Advanced RV was aware of.

7Summits

7Summits
Davydd,
Didn't realize The Advanced RV refrig. was a 7.2. The pictures make it appear smaller, possibly because the microwave is above. Glad to know that Mike kept the large refrig as we truly enjoy having more space with a full freezer. We have seen a couple of different layouts with the GW Legend EX that differ from ours. We have no problem whatever with the driver's seat being fully usable as it will swivel completely around and, like you mentioned, the additional closet/wardrobe in the aft behind the bath provides plenty of options for additional storage. It has worked wonderfully as our linen closet and storage for all additional unknowns. Can you explain what overhead cabinet details Advanced RV will be improving on. We will be eager to see one of the finished products as, without question, it will be a compilation of great ideas and details. We are looking forward to the video that Mike is promising.

Thanks for all the info you offer......................
7Summits

Davydd

I haven't seen the overhead cabinets of the Ocean One so am just hoping they took heed and improved on them. There are two major complaints I had with the Legend. The first is the was not enough depth of the cabinets in the kitchen over the counter compared to LTV or P-W. I wanted them to pay more attention about what kind of things you can store up there. The other complaint, though they may look nice, is the variable depth flared cabinets on the sides. They make for very difficult storage planning. I've pointed that out to both Great West Vans and Advanced RV.

The new ownership of Great West last June told me they were evaluating their design. I suspect you will see an evolution and some changes. I've looked at a few Legend EXes and they all had some different changes and refinements. Some I liked and some I didn't. They have some flexibility and willingness to make changes that the bigger converters seemingly don't. Since the Advanced RV owner, Mike Nuendorfer and Mike Ellis participated in that culture of flexibility at Great West, I am assuming and hoping they will carry through with that philosophy as well.

Turbo John

Saw the Ocean one in Tampa this week. Nice conversion. Had the best bathroom of all of them. Floor plan similar to some others. I liked the overhead storage in the rear entry over the sleep couch. Good idea.
The thing I would worry about is how long this guy can stay in this business.......he is 6 months. With no other lines this maybe hard for him to support.

Airstream has plenty to support its sprinter line

Whoopi2u

Took the plunge today and went with Advanced RV. We have have been looking at the Sprinter RV's since 2009 and are finally ready to move forward so this is not a rash or uninformed decision. Will try to keep the forum up to date as we progress. So far great people and very personalized service.

swihart

Hello:

I am also looking at the Advanced RV system. Can you give me feedback of your thoughts now?

How many trips have you taken? Any issues? how did you get them resolved? How close do you live to the plant? What is your overall impression of the unit after having it for a little time? Pros and Cons that you have with it?

Any information would be great.

Thank you for any help you give.

Bob

Davydd

We were at the RV.net B10 Rally and there were two Advanced RVs there. The owners, Mike and Marcia Nuendorfer came in one and participated as regular members of the group. Another person from Florida brought the other one.

First, it is a Sprinter. You can look at any Sprinter to know what to expect. The Advanced RV Sprinter comes in as a Cargo Sprinter with a full complement of safety features and decked out with the steering wheel buttons, etc. The conversion quality is better than the other major converters, IMO. From there, they are willing to do custom design work to an extent, and you can look at their plans and options to get what you want. They are not custom compared to Sportsmobile but they are willing to work with you on ideas.

They are pricey but every Sprinter B is getting that way.

Diamondsea

I just ordered one a few weeks ago.

A couple of years ago I sold my short 2500 DIY camper and left this forum. At age 73 I now find long slow trips cooped up on my boat do not allow me to move enough (arthritis) so I am going to get back on the road with the seasons. I mostly travel alone, but I wanted certain features in a Class B. Someone at Sprinter Fest East mentioned Advanced RV, I looked at the Internet site, and visited the factory. The folks are marvelous to work with and will make the changes that I desire. This is a major advantage of dealing directly with the builder rather than through a dealer. I became convinced that the build quality is superior than the competition Class B builders. I have been able to pick and choose among features and interior materials. Their approach to systems is very high tech and propane is eliminated. A generator is not necessary due to large battery capacity, a large inverter, and automatic engine start to charge batteries even if the van is unattended such as when AC is left on for pets. They have agreed to omit exterior graphics to facilitate stealth camping. Advanced RV is expensive but I think worth it.

I have visited recently to make some final detailed decisions. I am sure that I will go again prior to my expected delivery in the late summer.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
I just ordered one a few weeks ago.

...and automatic engine start to charge batteries even if the van is unattended such as when AC is left on for pets.
Whoa, that is a new one, I had no idea anyone was doing that. I am concerned that the Etrek and now Advanced are both using the engine as the genset. If I remember correctly you want to run the engine at high RPMs to do that, and the only kit I have seen to do that does NOT involve auto start. In fact the only engine start on the market I have seen iS to warm a gasoline engine prior to getting in.

This all sounds very against the Upfitter documentation I have seen and I wonder what the future for these Sprinters is going to be. If I wear out my generator than I am out 4 thousand at worst, but the engine? The part of the vehicle I am looking forward to getting hundreds of thousands of miles out of... Sure hope they know what they are doing.

-4andy

Last edited:

Diamondsea

For many years Sprinter has offered a fast idle option to facilitate charging without building up carbon in the engine. The standard alternator is now 220 amps. The engine starts and then switches from regular idle to the fast mode. Advanced offers up to six batteries as well as the big inverter being standard. AGMs are standard, lithium batteries are an option. The air conditioner is a 15,000 BTU soft start (reduced initial current surge) model.

No propane. Heat is via an Espar that heats glycol stored in a tank that is also heated electrically if shore power is available (a diesel generator is an option). Domestic hot water is instant via a coil in the always hot tank. Coach space heat is from this system. To keep your toes comfy there is an option of a heated floor also!

Top Bottom