Propane Regulator

Kiltym

Does anyone know if the length of RV propane regulators are all standard? For our Westy install, it seems a replacement part will need to be pretty much the same exact size due to the metal tubing that it attaches to. There are many on Amazon for < $30, but want to be sure it will fit properly.

If anyone has a part # they know fits, that would be great.

Thanks.

Wasaabi

Sprinter Westfalia #133
I replaced mine which failed on the road with an off the shelf one at a generic RV store. It is a standard US part. I paid the grease monkeys at the shop to install it and they proceeded to leave a leak, so I redid their work shortly afterwards. Easy job. Search on here (or maybe the yahoo group?) for more info. Caution: one of the nuts is a wrong-way (left-hand) nut, so be careful not to strip it. Also see instructions in the Westy service manual. As I recall in one of the posts someone listed the exact part number, but I believe several brands fit.

onemanvan

My regulator sprung major leak a few years ago while I was traveling. I replaced it with a Mr. Heater F273863 that I purchased from ACE Hardware store.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F2...=1521332746&sr=8-1&keywords=mr+heater+f273863

I think it's a better quality regulator than the OEM part.
This picture is kind of deceiving - both regulators are basically the same size.
It takes a bunch of different wrenches and it's a bit of a puzzle to R&R...
Best to have some pipe thread sealant on hand when doing this.

Attachments

Kiltym

Update on the install.

The new regulator comes with a POR adapter. It is slightly longer then the original, so I had to remove the new one and swap it with the old one. Then the length was the same and it was able to be installed. It is all a very tight fit.

I recommend leaving the POR connection loose until you get the metal line properly threaded into the regulator. And use a gas pipe sealant on those threads.

CaptnALinTiverton

xT1N Westfalia
Thanks Mark. I am thinking of replacing my regulators when I get the shutoff valve replaced. My shutoff does not completely shut off the gas which IMO is not safe; I don't like to drive with the valve open in case of collision. Anyway, I'm not going to replace it until I have the tank emptied again for international shipping.

AL

Top Bottom