Tips for New to Sprinter Owners

Bradly C

I know that additives are not approved for the new 642 Sprinters but Diesel cold flow improver is.
Which cold flow improver is approved by Mercedes to help with diesel fuel gelling.

First year with Sprinter in Alaska, #2 Diesel primary fuel here.

I know that additives are not approved for the new 642 Sprinters but Diesel cold flow improver is.
Which cold flow improver is approved by Mercedes to help with diesel fuel gelling.

First year with Sprinter in Alaska, #2 Diesel primary fuel here.
There are BeVo approved products. To my knowledge they are not readily available in North America.

For many years I have used Power Service Diesel Kleen with Anti-gel in the white jug. It works for me. A history of use in many vehicles shows that it will not hurt your engine or affect your warranty.

I don't know how our North American fuel supplies compare to Euro standards, but using some info from MB BEVO gives indication that maybe we should be concerned anytime the ambient falls below -4F or so. That assumes the fuel we're being given meets a standard. Even by using reputable suppliers I personally have no way of really knowing what I'm putting in my tank.

MB BEVO

On a worldwide basis, fuels have differing values with regard to their properties. It is nevertheless clear that these differences, which are usually reflected in the respective national standards for fuels, are very well adapted to the individual vehicle populations in the different countries. Provided, therefore, that the fuels used satisfy the standards, it is not necessary to approve or specify certain brands of fuel. It does however, seem to be urgently necessary to enhance the general public's understanding of the fact that the quality of the fuel has a decisive influence on the vehicle's performance and exhaust emissions. Consequently, the fuel grade should be harmonized to a suitable level in accordance with the vehicle requirements. To reach these goals, the global automotive industry has created the "World Wide Fuel Charter" ("WWFC"), which defines objectives of fuel properties taking the various air-quality goals into consideration. The WWFC is revised at regular intervals and adapted to the latest knowledge.

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/110.1_en.html

The additivity process should be undertaken by the supplier as the party responsible for fuel quality. The application of secondary additives is always at the risk of the operator of the vehicle, since their use may impair any warranty issued both by the manufacturer of the vehicle and the fuel supplier. An exception is given by specific flow improvers or microbiocides (see also Sheet 119.0).

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/131.0_en.html

137.0 Winter operation with diesel fuels

"Winter Fuel" lower range is -20C. (-4 F) per EN 590

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/137.0_en.html

I don't use MB BEVO approved anti-gel flow improvers, but I do use a recognized product during our winter season. Added: I use Power Service Diesel Kleen with Anti-gel in the white jug.

:2cents: vic
Can you document this? As far as I am aware, MB explicitly forbids all fuel additives except for wintertime anti-gel.
They don't forbid additives as a blanket statement. BeVo says secondary additives are not cost effective or generally necessary.

BeVo lists Grotamar as a biocide which is only available in Europe to my knowledge.

As Midwestdrifter indicated, there are many good quality tried and true commercial additives available, but they are not on the BeVo list. Most boating sites will have reviews to help selection.

vic
As always clicking on the blue arrow icon within any quote box will take you to the original post/thread.

vic

Last edited:

Nuke gave some good advice to a new owner. :thumbup:

I think you got a GREAT deal
I paid almost 3 times that and was happy with my deal

I'd go blind spending hours researching this site
and make a list of things you might want to think about doing
and set aside some of the savings for things
if you are mechanically inclined yourself.

abittenbender is the expert, read his threads and he lives in the east near you in KY
lindengineering is also an expert and has his shop out west saved my bacon when I blew a turbo on the road and got me parts quick and fair price
aqua puttana has quite a library of things he's done
autostaretx knows everything from the manuals and very knowledgeable in anything electronic and much more
Sailquick and oldcrows also have several good threads and opinions
I know I'm forgetting some, not intentionally just haven't been on the site in a while so some escape me right now so please don't feel slighted if I didn't mention you

There are things on the front of that engine that you might want to think about replacing
pulleys, belts, idlers, tensioners, fan clutch or the whole fan, and dampener,
and look for that $150 Bosch 150 amp alternator on Amazon if still available
inspect all your turbo hoses, I removed cleaned and inspected mine and didn't have to replace any
THEN MAKE DAMN SURE YOU PUT THEM BACK TOGETHER CORRECTLY AND TIGHT!!!

visit the parts sites suggested and only use genuine MB/Dodge parts [Check Europarts SD]
AND ONLY THE APPROVED FLUIDS
you can get mobile 1 [Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro Formula] at Walmart on sale,
you might have to hunt around for the approved antifreeze [Zerex G05 HOAT NAPA],
and when you find a place to get the Shell tranny oil [Shell 134] just buy a case.

remove the cover and look at your injectors
NEVER do injector work or glow plug work on a cold engine!!!!!
read the threads, I've changed mine no problem, but I soaked with Kroil for a week
and did them one at a time after driving 1/2 an hour so everything was nice and warm

Get a scangage so you can read any codes and clear them [Maybe not clear them before using a Sprinter specific scan tool to check for ALL codes.]
when its time for tires seriously consider the Michelins
no matter what you get in the correct weight rating the price will be close enough to just go with the best
oh and go with the RED Koni shocks really improves the handling and they're all you'll need

I can back mine between 2 vehicles as long as I have enough clearance behind the parking spot to back the rear wheels to the curb without my nose sticking out too far.
would love a rear camera, bought a Chinese radio with a popup screen, but haven't gotten around to installing it yet
vic

:thumbup:

On the T1N with manual door locks, from the inside, push the door opening lever in, and the door is then locked.

Gary
It is a similar operation to the manual locking of the rear doors without power locks.

vic

Here is a list of MB dash icons. The pictures and basic info are very worthwhile. In some cases the suggested operator response is legal and dealership speak.

http://www.mbwhiteplains.com/service/indicator-lights

Edit: It appears that the list and explanations have been shortened? That is too bad. There was some nice information there. Look for the Dashboard Warning Lights link on the left. There are also a few videos listed.

Note that a red dash icon indicates a more important issue to seek service. That is as opposed to the yellow color icons.
Thanks! Original link is now a 404 but here is what Wayback Archive saved: https://web.archive.org/web/20150810071904/https://www.mbwhiteplains.com/service/indicator-lights

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Should I be seeing a code for having 225s on the front w/ 245s on rear?
All seems hunky dory
:idunno:

For those who may be interested in having different tire sizes front vs rear, the discussion is in this thread.

Unequal tire sizes
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73122

Because I have no idea how different tires front vs rear affects the designed handling, I am not going to edit my posts Re. Tires need to be same size.

:cheers: vic

Top Bottom