Sprinter versus Transit.

• Thread starter Deleted member 50714
  • Start date

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
After a through inspection and comparison. There is no comparison. The Sprinter in hands down superior to Transit. :clapping:
That must be why they sell 5 times more Transits than Sprinters?

I owned a 08 Sprinter for 5 years/56,000 miles and have owned a 15 Transit for 3 1/2 years/26,000 miles. Have the opposite opinion. Easily prefer the Transit.

Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Do think the new Sprinter V6 with an acceptable transmission will be a big improvement.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Has there ever been, or will there ever be a gas Sprinter?
New Sprinter has a small gas engine choice.

In 2008 when I bought my Sprinter there was a gas V6 engine choice. 3.5 liter non turbo 254 hp and 250 ft-lbs torque. 30 ft-lbs less torque than the 3 liter diesel V6.

flman

Having observed, and on rare occasions participated in the Danger Zone, last week I made the decision to put it on my ignore list. Really, nobody ever changes their mind so its just a hopeless rant. Clear sailing from here on...

Gary

So we have to change our minds and be a bunch of NPCs? Is that why you are there to advocate?

flman

After a through inspection and comparison. There is no comparison. The Sprinter in hands down superior to Transit. :clapping:

Let me guess, you have a Euro style license plate, a flag on each side of the bumper with the crooked cross, and you have Wagner playing at full volume? :smirk:

Sprinter vs Transit.

As Graphite Dave has pointed out many times, there are positives and negatives for each.

It seems that I am seeing more and more full sized Transit vans on the road.

For me the high model seems a bit too tall, and the lower roof model seems a bit too short. That said, I haven't checked the interior height of the short model against my T1N 2500 HC ("low or standard" roof for many here) so I don't know how they really compare.

One thing that I believe for certain. For my family use either a Sprinter or a Transit could be made to work... and maybe even a full size Promaster. :eek:

For my use overall (moderate cargo, occasional passenger service, medium towing) I just really like the Euro style vans vs the older Detroit iron designs. The Detroit vans do have higher official tow capacity though.

:2cents: vic

flman

About a week ago I joined a transit oriented forum to start figuring those out.

It was kind of interesting to see not only some of the same people that are on this forum, but more or less similar problems. ( drive train, software and electrical)

I have not idea if it is to the same level, just was an interesting experience. Sort of like the sites were mirrors.
Sprinter vs Transit.

As Graphite Dave has pointed out many times, there are positives and negatives for each.

For me the high model seems a bit too tall, and the lower roof model seems a bit too short. That said, I haven't checked the interior height of the short model against my T1N 2500 HC ("low or standard" roof for many here) so I don't know how they really compare.

One thing that I believe for certain. For my family use either a Sprinter or a Transit could be made to work... and maybe even a full size Promaster. :eek:

For my use overall (moderate cargo, occasional passenger service, medium towing) I just really like the Euro style vans vs the older Detroit iron designs. The Detroit vans do have higher official tow capacity though.

:2cents: vic

I am thinking the Harry N comparison, would be more like the Sprinter Forum before the newer NCV3 van. T1N and Transit have their bugs, but the repair was usually final, and at a reasonable cost.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton

For me the high model seems a bit too tall, and the lower roof model seems a bit too short.
Transit does have 3 roof heights. Medium is lower than Sprinter high roof and Transit high roof is higher. At 5'-10" I just cleared the ribs in the medium roof so I could not have a raised insulated floor. Forced to buy the high roof.

HarryN

Transit does have 3 roof heights. Medium is lower than Sprinter high roof and Transit high roof is higher. At 5'-10" I just cleared the ribs in the medium roof so I could not have a raised insulated floor. Forced to buy the high roof.
And if they ever offer an even taller one with taller actual openings, I am all in.

I really dislike hitting my head on door frames.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
And if they ever offer an even taller one with taller actual openings, I am all in.

I really dislike hitting my head on door frames.
Believe the Transit sliding door opening height is less than the Sprinter. It does have a self teaching feature. You do learn. I am 5'-10" and with the 2 1/8" added insulated floor I just clear. The rear door opening on higher roof Transit is probably higher than a high roof Sprinter.

You have my curiosity up. I will measure the heights this weekend at Concow.

D

Deleted member 50714

So we have to change our minds and be a bunch of NPCs? Is that why you are there to advocate?

GaryJ is just too hoity-toity to hang with us Lowly working people. What was the purpose of his post? Oh, I guess we are supposed to be heartbroken over his absence.

Wine Country

I have a 15 WGO View on the 3500. I love it. The Transit does not have enough carrying capisity. My View is at 11,000 I also have a Ford Fiesta that I tow. I live in the PNW and drive to Montana and across the Cascades. 13.5 mountain driving and 14. 5 on the coast. In the RV world, Sprinter are very popular. Ford has a E450 that makes you live with the V10 on your leg, the passinger has very little room for feet. Many owners are downsizing from a Class A DP and Gas to Sprinters. I hope Mercedes and Winnebago put the Sprinter 4500 out. It has about 1300 lbs higher capisity. At a Winnebago event with Mercedes, there was talk of a higher capacity Sprinter. Maybe 16000 lbs.

Ahoelk

I have both a Ecoboost Transit and 3.0 Sprinter, while the Transit is fun because of its power it is also VERY thirsty when using that said power. Also the range of it sucks tank is just too small always at fuel station. Ford also has some issues with the Ecoboost in the Transit- head gets too hot, had to replace my engine at 45k

flman

I have both a Ecoboost Transit and 3.0 Sprinter, while the Transit is fun because of its power it is also VERY thirsty when using that said power. Also the range of it sucks tank is just too small always at fuel station. Ford also has some issues with the Ecoboost in the Transit- head gets too hot, had to replace my engine at 45k

Your right, burns more to fuel the beast, but I am paying 50 cents less per gallon 87 octane vs diesel. It does not need a large quantity of special expensive oil, fuel filter, DEF, dealers are always close, and don't bend you over like they do for the Sprinters. No such thing as diesel savings any more.

Yes the tank is too small. My only real complaint.

I had to replace my entire Sprinter at 52K when the engine seized, most likely your Transit was still under warranty, was not the case for my Sprinter.

It is not a known problem that the head gets too hot in the EB, sounds like an isolated case, or what your mechanic blamed it on.

All vehicles have plus and minus, so far the Transit has been a plus for me.

lindenengineering

I would like to know what failed at 45,000?
Curious
Dennis

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Ford also has some issues with the Ecoboost in the Transit- head gets too hot, had to replace my engine at 45k
Ford UK have openly admitted they have design issues with the EcoBoost engine and are now reimbursing any repair costs for engine repair and/or replacement caused by overheating.

Are they doing the same in the USA?

Keith.

Top Bottom