Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > VS30 Sprinters > VS30 4x4 Talk

VS30 4x4 Talk General Discussions related to VS30 4x4 Sprinters.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:48 PM   #21
Valeria2019

Default Re: Brand new 2019 M2CA4X - Problem

....so I have had my Sprinter 4 days, the Dealership has now had it 13 days. Still working on the replacement of the EIS (Electric Ignition Switch). It showed some corrosion from either condensation or water leakage. The symptom was I could not take it out of Park into Drive or Reverse, though after about 4 hours it did shift and I was able to drive it 2 hours to get home. The following morning and all that day it did the same thing. The next morning it again worked fine so I took it direct to the dealership. So it was an intermittent issue, I guess it may have been caused by mud or road grime affecting the sensors.....can you tell me exactly what "assist features" or Mercedes packages that these might be?
Valeria2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:08 PM   #22
FlaJoe

I have not taken possession of my VS30 but I have a Range Rover and the assist features can affect braking, transmissions, and speed. Electronics are great until they don’t work.

Last edited by FlaJoe; 02-15-2020 at 12:14 PM.
FlaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:42 PM   #23
Michlb

Default Brand new 2019 M2CA4X - Problem

Iím sure the problems that @Valeria2019 and @surferJ have are more serious, but I completely agree with @sanomechanic - watch your sensors. I had exactly the same problem in cold in the Sierra. Switched off Parking Assist, and the van would immediately move normal. If the sensors are iced up, the computer could look at it as an obstacle and throw in the brakes. This vehicle is not just making noise when it thinks it approaches an obstacle like in parking - it also throws in the brake if it thinks its approaching something.

There was another post recently where somebody tried to park the vehicle on a busy narrow road with traffic and was unable to because it constantly hit the brakes.

Again, I donít want to trivialize at all the other problems like a completely electronics shutdown or corroded connections, but Iím simply reporting about a situation in the cold, and how I fixed it.
Michlb is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Michlb For This Useful Post:
surferJ (02-21-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 12:50 AM   #24
lndscpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valeria2019 View Post
I wish I spoke and understood French, very curious what K9SUV said......
Ahh, the magic of Google translate App, via my phone camera, has helped me out wonderfully when needed. :-)
lndscpe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lndscpe For This Useful Post:
Valeria2019 (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 09:15 PM   #25
surferJ

Quote:
....so I have had my Sprinter 4 days, the Dealership has now had it 13 days. Still working on the replacement of the EIS (Electric Ignition Switch). It showed some corrosion from either condensation or water leakage. The symptom was I could not take it out of Park into Drive or Reverse, though after about 4 hours it did shift and I was able to drive it 2 hours to get home. The following morning and all that day it did the same thing. The next morning it again worked fine so I took it direct to the dealership. So it was an intermittent issue, I guess it may have been caused by mud or road grime affecting the sensors.....can you tell me exactly what "assist features" or Mercedes packages that these might be?
Your intermittent problem is identical to the intermittent I had before a few hours later total failure. Somehow you have gotten moisture inside the van. The new placement of these core switch connectors is securely inside, safe from outside weather or mud.
But in the direct runoff path for interior wetness.
surferJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:52 PM   #26
Valeria2019

My last conversation with the dealership on Thursday was once they get the "switch" replaced they may need to send it to their body shop to figure out a solution for the water. Remember, I only had position of the Sprinter for 4 days, drove it to the coast in rainy weather and then returned home. Haven't had the opportunity to use it overnight so I doubt this is a condensation issue. It was transported from the East coast to Oregon in October....I hope to find out how water got onto this area.....once I learn more I will certainly share!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valeria2019 For This Useful Post:
lndscpe (02-16-2020), Sctn (02-16-2020), surferJ (02-15-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 06:04 PM   #27
Mathewst

Quote:
My last conversation with the dealership on Thursday was once they get the "switch" replaced they may need to send it to their body shop to figure out a solution for the water. Remember, I only had position of the Sprinter for 4 days, drove it to the coast in rainy weather and then returned home. Haven't had the opportunity to use it overnight so I doubt this is a condensation issue. It was transported from the East coast to Oregon in October....I hope to find out how water got onto this area.....once I learn more I will certainly share!
I did camp a lot nights in cold with lot of humidity outside. Got truma diesel heater on all nights. Not much condensation inside. Some on Dometic insulated windows, but manageable. I dont know whats happening inside walls but probably not condensation. More people inside worse. 2adults 2kids mostly.

What i noticed though especially when I get stuck youre in rush to fix things, stress, you need to take breath, look on that stupid display, turn everything off. Put seatbelt on (If you wont and have electric parkbrake and open door to check anything, it will engage). with sensors detecting something as others say car wont even move, same with parkbrake and seatbelt not engaged.
Mathewst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:24 PM   #28
GusinCA

Can someone show where this box is so maybe I can put some sealant above it?
GusinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:22 PM   #29
surferJ

Sure. I even start to see an easy solution beyond only sealing.
If you take a bright flash lite in your right hand, lean in under the steering wheel shaft with light up in cavern pointing towards the left,
lighting up the space behind the panel with the hood release lever...
look thru the hole the hood release lever passes thru..

You will see a ~4Ē thin black junction box attached to the outer wall. This is what gets wet and leads to many problems.

This angle was too difficult to photograph but the following pics show the view over the panel top. I do not know how the clips work to remove.

The first is the junction box now wrapped it plastic on the side body.
The second shows the space to the right of said box. You can see the hood release passing through the forward body wall, and than to the right
another junction box.

I have heard rumor that in Germany a MB garage has detached the problem junction box and rotated it out into this space, free from contact with
side wall.
If and when I get more firm knowledge, I will post it here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 198C6887-46E0-4A20-96FB-37E46199C3F8.jpeg (194.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpeg 2FC49689-CE8F-4224-819B-AE82D9D5285C.jpeg (235.8 KB, 48 views)
surferJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to surferJ For This Useful Post:
FlaJoe (02-21-2020), GusinCA (02-21-2020), mikecol (Yesterday), Valeria2019 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:12 AM   #30
Valeria2019

My other thought about this module and how it was affected by moisture is maybe Hurricane Dorian caused excessive moisture to find a way to it. I know my vehicle was still at the Charleston MB Plant when the Hurricane landed. Maybe under normal winter rains this part would not be affected. I'm still waiting for my Dealership to give a progress report and what the solution will be. They've now had it 21 days, maybe I'm expecting too much and maybe Warranty Issues get pushed to the back of the line. Can the time at the Dealership be added to the end of the Warranty time....?