intermittant trouble starting

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
Its your cam sensor. 100%. The "tries to catch" is the key symptom here, as noted by the earleir poster. Coupled with these usually failing when hot. A quick test would be to spray some kind of aerosol on the sensor to cool it down when it wont start. If it then starts, that is 100% cam sensor.

I have had 3 cam sensor failures on my T1N. The first one was only when hot. The second was a used replacement that went random intermittant maybe once a month. The 3rd was an early total sudden death on a fairly new one I replaced the intermittant one with. Luckily I kept the intermittant one in my onboard toolkit because the sudden death one left me stranded 1000km from home in the middle of nowhere at 10pm.

In all cases it had the "tries to catch". This can throw you off onto tangents.

I will add there is no CEL for this fault. And you will need a MB rated scan tool to see the code. A generic scanner will not show the code.

Last edited:
Its your cam sensor. 100%. The "tries to catch" is the key symptom here, as noted by the earleir poster. Coupled with these usually failing when hot. A quick test would be to spray some kind of aerosol on the sensor to cool it down when it wont start. If it then starts, that is 100% cam sensor.

I have had 3 cam sensor failures on my T1N. The first one was only when hot. The second was a used replacement that went random intermittant maybe once a month. The 3rd was an early total sudden death on a fairly new one I replaced the intermittant one with. Luckily I kept the intermittant one in my onboard toolkit because the sudden death one left me stranded 1000km from home in the middle of nowhere at 10pm.

In all cases it had the "tries to catch". This can throw you off onto tangents.

I will add there is no CEL for this fault. And you will need a MB rated scan tool to see the code. A generic scanner will not show the code.
So it's not his battery or battery cables? :hmmm:

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
Not sure this helps or is related, but shooting at the union of the undetermined issue folks are talking about...

I’ve seen several Sprinter cam and crank sensors fail due to low voltage across the system during starting. Bad grounds or bad batts being the offenders.

Reagarding ‘Grand Troll’.. just because he’s not communicating in a fashion you deem appropriate or helpful doesn’t mean there’s no value. Sometimes we have to deal with the bad to get the good. I’d say there’s more good than bad. We just need to get him a sprinter :cheers:

TGT, I recently came into a 2 for 1 sprinter deal (118 shorty and 140 tall boy). The 140 is a non starter, glove box had some papers with probably a dozen codes noted (looks like electrical issues), the rail is missing, it has no key other than the broken off blade in the ignition, but supposedly it only has 100 k miles on the clock, the outside is in great condition (no dents), the OEM wheels even look new. Plan was/is to get ‘er runnin and probably sell her in CA with 100k miles for ~$15k-&20k but I could be swayed by someone wanting to take over this project.. no rust, currently registered non op in CA (been registered nop since 2011 I believe). I haven’t done any compression testing and it’s currently not on my property as I have a deal with the old owner that I could leave the 140 on his property while I make some room for this job (8/7/19 deadline). It’s a black box as far as I’m concerned. It was a mold abatement work truck. It had a rat infestation.

Seems like a perfect project for you to prove your Sprinter skills! understood a diesel is a diesel for the most part, but most of us are Sprinter enthusiasts, not just diesel enthusiasts, and the Sprinter community would probably tollerate the rhetoric you spew a little better if you had a sprinter. Just saying.

D

Deleted member 50714

Reagarding ‘Grand Troll’.. just because he’s not communicating in a fashion you deem appropriate or helpful doesn’t mean there’s no value. Sometimes we have to deal with the bad to get the good. I’d say there’s more good than bad. We just need to get him a sprinter
TGT makes helpful contributions, and certainly not a dummy.

Last edited by a moderator:

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
TGT makes helpful contributions, and certainly not a dummy.
I’ve defintely read some eye-opening posts. Also some eye-popping posts. This isn’t a pro only forum, and I’ve had some folks communicate that they are reluctant to post because they feel like they wil be made to feel stupid or inadiquate with their, or lack there of, mechanical knowledge. That’s the antithesis of what the intention of this forum should be.

Btw TGT, it’s a 2005 140 tall boy, arctic white (big surprise on the color)... tick tock, I’m getting ready to move this sucker in the next few days once I get some other billable work out of the way. This thing needs someone like you. Great moto hauler.

Not to derail too much, but I was first going to make sure the motor can even rotate (according to the business owner it did run fine so I assume it’ll rotate), then send the ECM to SOS for diagnostics and to delete the screem (need for the chip in the key).. if that was to all check out, make a key out of the existing blade I have, clean out the rat nest reminance, put in a fuel rail, new battery, try to start and see what comes back. My gut tells me it needs a new wiring harness given the CAN codes noted.. after that, hopefully it’ll run.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
There is a notable difference between constructive additions, (speaking from specific knowledge) and being intentionally disruptive. Some folks can't separate the raw braying of the Danger Zone from the constructive, collaborative nature of the technical and talk forums. There is great opportunity to learn as well. Though some cannot recognize knowledge unless it is delivered in a condescending manner frosted with braggadocio.

What might be marginally acceptable in person because of inflection or body language can be quite offensive in text. Hence why most of us strive for civility and sensitivity/consideration.

This forum works because most of us comply with expected community norms. Which includes not crapping in newbies threads, especially when they are asking for help. Some of them become our most valued members. It only takes a handful of folks to alter these norms. Changes like that drive away users, or just discourage them from posting. When that happens a forum dies. I have watched it several times over the years.

Last edited:
There is a notable difference between constructive additions, (speaking from specific knowledge) and being intentionally disruptive. Some folks can't separate the raw braying of the Danger Zone from the constructive, collaborative nature of the technical and talk forums. There is great opportunity to learn as well. Though some cannot recognize knowledge unless it is delivered in a condescending manner frosted with braggadocio.

What might be marginally acceptable in person because of inflection or body language can be quite offensive in text. Hence why most of us strive for civility and sensitivity/consideration.

This forum works because most of us comply with expected community norms. Which includes not crapping in newbies threads, especially when they are asking for help. Some of them become our most valued members. It only takes a handful of folks to alter these norms. Changes like that drive away users, or just discourage them from posting. When that happens a forum dies. I have watched it several times over the years.
Sounds like somebody needs a hug... :hugs:

D

Deleted member 50714

:hugs:

jerms

so far so good!! got the engine up to temp and drove for a half hour and no probs, but hasn't got really hot outside yet.... this weekend it'll be in the 80's so i'll know for sure then.... thanks again everyone for the help!! this forum is awesome!!!

jerms

problem fixed! cam sensor FTW! going to replace the crank sensor too.... thanks everyone!! such a great forum here!!:cheers:

Top Bottom