Dogs and Sprinters

alexk243

KulAdventure
Remote Temp Monitoring System for Camper Vans

Due to a lot of people asking me about traveling with a dog I did a write up on traveling with a dog in a camper van (link to the write up if you guys are interested), but a lot of people mentioned most of what I wrote about already in the thread.

Something I ran into in my research is a cheaper remote monitoring system that operates on 3g/4g cell network, I haven't tried it yet, but wanted your guys opinions on it, I am debating getting it for next summer.

The system involves this 3G Tempurature and Power monitoring system which has an AC cord, but a 12vdc hookup should work also. The system communicated by SMS based on preset temp/power ranges or an inquiry from a set phone number.

Although it does not say it on the amazon page, I looked into it more and it required a SIM card and plan to operate. I have used a pay as you go plan from T-Mobile before for a second line that is $3 a month for 30 mins/messages and $0.10 a message after that. I buy prepaid cards to fill it up so no contract. You would need a SIM card kit too ($10). So as long as you are under 30 alerts/inquires a month its $3 a month, but you can load more just in case (at least that is how it worked on my pay as you go phone).

I would think this would work and at $120 plus $3 a month, which you only need to activate for months you would use it seems to be the cheapest one I have found. My only concern is there are no reviews on the device and no real info on how the SIM card would work with the device...

I do like that you can make an inquiry, that way you know if the device is actually working.

Thoughts? Has anyone used anything similar? The closest ones I found are $200-$300 and $15 a month.

Re: Remote Temp Monitoring System for Camper Vans

First. Healthy dogs are not really that fragile. A dog in "down mode" can tolerate reasonable temperature extremes as well or better than many humans. Leaving a dog in a car on a hot day is not reasonable. Leaving a dog in a full sized van with consideration by the owners for proper ventilation may be very reasonable.

Thoughts? Has anyone used anything similar? The closest ones I found are $200-$300 and $15 a month.
Your overall implementation sounds good to me. :thumbup:

I guess remote areas without cell connect could be a problem.

SIM cards.
I'm with Page Plus. After needing to replace an old phone that didn't need a SIM card at all, and paying through the nose for a new SIM card from a local shop, I learned that Amazon has Page Plus SIM cards for a buck each as an "Add-on" item. Amazon may offer SIM cards at good price for other no contract cell service providers. Worth checking.

:cheers: vic

Added:
I keep a Page Plus "Playa" phone. (Playa aka womanizer, Don Juan, romeo, swinger, Lothario, rake, Casanova, etc.) BUT... that is not my purpose. I use it as a contact number for things like Craigslist and eBay listings. Purchasing SIM cards on account, it costs about 11 bucks (w/taxes and fees) every 4 months. Because I renew before the time expires the SIM money accumulates. That banked money could be used for data when on vacation with your dog monitor system.

Last edited:

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Re: Remote Temp Monitoring System for Camper Vans

The system involves this 3G Tempurature and Power monitoring system which has an AC cord, but a 12vdc hookup should work also. The system communicated by SMS based on preset temp/power ranges or an inquiry from a set phone number.
Great find. I have been looking for something along those lines for some time. I am really itchy after getting my new-in-March Model 3 to have full-time communication with my RV the way I do on the Tesla. Always frustrating to arrive at the RV and discover the battery is dead because you left the light on or turned the solar panels off. I have also had a scary event when I took one dog to the hospital and left the other in the RV with the AC on, only to run out of propane (my first time) on a very hot day. I caught it by dumb luck, but I can only imagine what she was thinking about me.

-Randy

GJACK

2017 144 4x4
144 was too small for this trip. Hunting in Owyhee area a couple of weeks ago. Found the floor insulation could be a little better when below freezing and ended up sleeping with the lab since he doesn't like a cold belly. Jackson (black lab) likes to go along and he is left in the van while out chasing birds with the other dogs (sorry I haven't learned to rotate picture but you can get an idea of what I mean).

Attachments

GJACK

2017 144 4x4
Chukar. They were thinned out pretty bad 2 winters ago because of heavier snow. All BLM land.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
I love my Sprinter RV, but to keep the dogs happy for a long time in an RV I got an Airstream Skydeck. The entire second floor is outdoor, with a dog door able to be left open to the outside. There they can bark at passers-by and lay in the sun. My intent is to lay fake grass on the front half of the deck where the grill area is. If they pee it will leak down the side of the RV, I'll just have to keep it waxed.

569fafb5b13a2241722064f8.jpeg

I never liked the dogs tied to the front bumper, barking at me menacingly as I walk thru the campsite.

The only downside is the roof tends to collect pine needles, and will NOT let go of a good snowstorm.

IMG_6469.jpeg

I have to keep a snow shovel behind the sofa!

I love my Sprinter RV, but to keep the dogs happy for a long time in an RV I got an Airstream Skydeck. ...
The black and white flooring pattern.

I can't get the image out of my head that you tap dance up and down the keys like Tom Hanks did in the movie Big.

:cheers: vic

Axiom

Mike from Florida Van Man
I have a pembroke corgi so getting her into the van is going to be difficult. I would love to travel with her though. For those of you with vertically challenged dogs, have you put fold out steps by your side door?

I have a pembroke corgi so getting her into the van is going to be difficult. I would love to travel with her though. For those of you with vertically challenged dogs, have you put fold out steps by your side door?
I would think that a non-slip walk board would be more K9 friendly and maybe easier to stow.

Entry is an issue, but exit can be a problem too. After he landed poorly one time I learned to not let my Doberman jump down to the ground from the van seat. From then on he was taught to get down on the floor and then exit the van. I've continued that mode with every dog since.

I would teach a Corgi to use the steps or walk board in both directions.

:2cents: vic

Top Bottom