Another Radio Code Question

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Do radio codes follow the radio or the Sprinter?
I have a stock '06 radio that I've put in my '02 Sprinter. Everything plugs up just fine with the wiring harness, but when I put in the radio code THAT CAME WITH THE '06 RADIO (and worked fine when I disconected the battery in the '06), it won't accept the code and turn the radio on.
I've put the code in a few times, and it's just not working.
Any thoughts?:idunno:

Do radio codes follow the radio or the Sprinter?
I have a stock '06 radio that I've put in my '02 Sprinter. Everything plugs up just fine with the wiring harness, but when I put in the radio code THAT CAME WITH THE '06 RADIO (and worked fine when I disconected the battery in the '06), it won't accept the code and turn the radio on.
I've put the code in a few times, and it's just not working.
Any thoughts?:idunno:
Return the radio to the original Sprinter and try the code there. Maybe the wiring is a bit different? (Doubtful) Maybe the connector is not making good contact?
:idunno:

vic

Last edited:

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Return the radio to the original Sprinter and try the code there. Maybe the wiring is a bit different? (Doubtful) Maybe the connector is not making good contact?
:idunno:

vic
Returning the radio to the '06 sprinter would be a ton of work. I've already installed another aftermarket stereo there.
And I know the code works because the radio worked when I bought the '06 and then I disconnected the battery to wire in a back up camera. When I re connected the battery, the radio flashed CODE and I put in the code that came with the owner's manual and the radio worked just fine. THEN I removed the radio from the '06 and put it in the '02. The same code won't work. :idunno:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
My wiring diagrams for the 2006 versus 2003 don't reveal anything obvious ... here they are for comparison:
(i did NOT spend any time squinting too carefully... that's your job...)
((whoops... squinting at it did reveal different pin numbering schemes... see below))
2003 Radio:
2003radio1.jpg
2003radio2.jpg
---------------------------
2006 Radio:
2006radio1.jpg
2006radio2.jpg
------------------------
Connectors:
2003radioconn.jpg

Oooookaay.... let's look at the connector list... notice how the "A" and "B" of the 2006 connector is almost the same as the 2003's, except they list the last 8 pins on the top instead of the bottom of the table
I suspect the *positions* are the same ... except the 2006 has the K/TCM line on pin A2,
whereas the 2003 does not have any entry for "pin 10". Who knows if that's an "in" signal?
Another difference is that the radio antenna connector (not listed above) up on the ceiling has a +12v feed for the 2006, and does not have one for 2003 (perhaps the early years didn't have an antenna amplifier?)
The 2006 did not expect the radio to provide that +12v, it's wired separately (and switched by the key).

--dick

Last edited:

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
looks like I answered my own question by trying the code AGAIN. It works. So the answer is that the radio code follows the RADIO... but that doesn't help too much if you don't know the VIN of the donor Sprinter. Fortunately, I own both Sprinters, so I have both VINs.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Top Bottom