Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Write-Ups

Old 12-02-2016, 10:33 PM   #1
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,084 Times in 8,952 Posts
Default E-track Rear Deck Bed Support

I needed a raised bed for my 2006 Freightliner 2500HC 140 passenger. I contemplated removing the plastic trim under the rear windows to install the supports, but decided against it. My decision was to install E-track right over the plastic trim.

The E-track will serve other purposes also. I used multiple sheet metal screws on the top anchors. The bottom was fastened where body metal allowed. I thought about jumping the empty spaces with angle iron to allow more fasteners on the lower part. For my medium weight load service the fastening I used will be fine. I don't regularly haul heavy cargo.

The E-track mounting could be moved up a bit. I needed to maintain a specific distance from the bed deck to the ceiling. If that wasn't necessary the E-track may have been able to be shifted up enough to allow more fasteners on the bottom section.

10 foot long E-track seemed a waste. I used 3 ea. 5 foot sections of E-track with a 4 11/16" electrical box blank cover as a splice backer. I later discovered that Amazon sells 8 foot sections. (No splice needed.)

The 4 each 2x3's were cut by Home Depot to 66" long. Under 10 bucks.

Some of the cross pieces.

2006BedEtrack02.jpg

The socket end with 2x3 installed.

2006BedEtrack01.jpg

I'll likely use deck screws through slots in the socket fittings into the 2x3's.

Added:
I ultimately used a single deck screw in the slotted hole of each bracket. That locks the cross support in. Because the deck screw is near the edge of the board I pre-drilled for the screws. Through bolts would be overkill in my opinion. The deck can then be attached to the cross supports to keep things from flying loose in the event of a collision.

The decking pieces will then be screwed or lashed to the cross supports. I haven't decided on the platform design as yet. It will likely be 3/8" possibly 1/2" sheet stock, or webbed slats. Slats will make for easier storage during non-use than does flat stock.

Some parts info.

10 E-Track Wood Beam End Socket
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

8 Foot E-track (Galvanized. Gray color will match the interior plastic better.)
https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Horizont...8+foot+e-track

I purchased 10 ea. E-track web fittings for another design that didn't work out. I will use them with heavy trucker bungee S hooks or carabiner clips for securing medium loads. They also offer 5 ea. at good price.

https://www.amazon.com/10-Fittings-C...ack%2Bweb&th=1

That's it for now.

vic

Added:
I used screws similar to these. I believe what I used were a #12 or #14 size that I had on hand. If I were purchasing screws I'd probably buy #12 or #10.

https://www.amazon.com/Steel-Finish-...+%2312+x+3%2F4
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 12-12-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
danpaul000 (05-16-2017), gholbrow (07-05-2017), Mike_Z (03-28-2017), NevadaBlue (12-05-2016), pfflyer (12-02-2016), SprinterSnale (12-05-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 11:24 PM   #2
pfflyer

Thanked 1,615 Times in 1,219 Posts
Default Re: E-track Rear Deck Bed Support

Looks good.
2016 Jayco Melbourne 24K Class C on 2015 Sprinter chassis
pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pfflyer For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 01:34 AM   #3
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanks. I was worried about rattles with all the brackets. Today I drove around a bit with the cross pieces installed. There wasn't any rattling back there except for a couple really poor places on the road. It should get even better with the deck installed for real use.

Bouncing all my 225# on the center of the one 2x3 didn't give any sign of problem. It will be even better with the decking installed to distribute the loads.

vic
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
snowcruiser (01-21-2019)
Old 12-03-2016, 02:58 AM   #4
pfflyer

Because my platform was not fasten down so I could quickly remove it, I strapped it down with a ratchet strap. Even though The cleats on the bottom of each of the four sections kept it from sliding and the cleats were wedged between the supports the strap was for worse case scenario. That may have eliminated any rattles in my case.
bed panels strapped in.JPG

Last edited by pfflyer; 12-03-2016 at 04:47 AM.
Aqua Puttana (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 12:08 AM   #5
Surly Biker

Looks nice! I've been planning something similar but have a couple extra challenges. I want to use L track for the van and they don't seem to sell a joist hanger that mates with that system. Also I want to raise the bed platform up to a more standard bike hauler configuration of about 39". Perhaps some standard joist hangers and metal channel to fabricate a riser. Not a welder, so I gotta keep it simple. Any thoughts or examples out there?
Surly Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:05 AM   #6
pfflyer

E track seems like it would be the easiest but there are plenty of l-track examples here on the forum. A lot of the moto builds here have a bed platform that would work for your application. I cant think of any off hand but look in the "Sprinter RV's and conversion write-ups" section. Several of the threads have moto in the title.
VeloVan (10-11-2017)
Old 12-04-2016, 09:15 PM   #7
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly Biker View Post
Looks nice! I've been planning something similar but have a couple extra challenges. I want to use L track for the van and they don't seem to sell a joist hanger that mates with that system. Also I want to raise the bed platform up to a more standard bike hauler configuration of about 39". Perhaps some standard joist hangers and metal channel to fabricate a riser. Not a welder, so I gotta keep it simple. Any thoughts or examples out there?
I like the L-track which I added on the floor of my 2004. I did the same on my 2006.

I don't know of any joist hangers for L-track either. That was one of the factors that led me to using E-track.

vic
Old 12-05-2016, 09:46 PM   #8
hkpierce
'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass

Thanked 1,525 Times in 695 Posts

Since I still use my van with passengers, the normal grey E-track is surprisingly inconspicuous when the seats are installed. There is no interference with the seats.
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2966
hkpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hkpierce For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 10:48 PM   #9
NevadaBlue

Thanks for the info! I am planning a removable shelf inside the back door, just below the window level. This should work well. I also want a 'wall' from the shelf to the floor, it will be just behind a captains chair and wheelchair between the wheel wells. I bet the track could work for that too.

2017 2016 144" 4x4 Passenger Van, regular roof.
NevadaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:24 PM   #10
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkpierce View Post
Since I still use my van with passengers, the normal grey E-track is surprisingly inconspicuous when the seats are installed. There is no interference with the seats.
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2966
I didn't recall seeing your low bed. That looks great.

HKbed.JPG

I was pleasantly surprised at how well the gray color blended in. For my 2006 I made the E-track sections on each side the same length. Were I to buy the 8 foot pieces I would chop the passenger side to fit, but just run the driver side the full 8 feet. More tie off points is a good thing.

For the height that I used I needed to remove the ash trays. They were useless for me anyway.

One of my plans is for cup holders that will mount to my unused, and now plentiful 10 ea. web brackets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaBlue View Post
Thanks for the info! I am planning a removable shelf inside the back door, just below the window level. This should work well. I also want a 'wall' from the shelf to the floor, it will be just behind a captains chair and wheelchair between the wheel wells. I bet the track could work for that too.
I don't know what your design plans are. Be aware that there are also vertical oriented E-track pieces. They have worked for some van owners.

vertical-galvanized_1_375.jpg

vic

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 12-22-2016 at 01:24 PM.