Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:19 PM   #21
billintomahawk
'02 2.7 T!N Freightliner

Default Re: White Whale II Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs850gx View Post
Bill, How did the 140 "Break your heart"?
Whale,
It's the trade offs.

The platform bed is just too short so I have to sleep slightly diagonal if I want to stretch out.
Side flairs would solve that problem but no thanks for now. I am 5'9". If I travel with a partner it would have to be a smaller 'she'(for me).

My mountain bike with old school 26" wheels fits under the bed but with the low roof I had to go with a 3" mattress to maintain headroom. Then my propane heater required valuable floor space(being an old school ice shack heater). so the floor space slipped away.

It's a great layout for one, two people are more challenging. A second problem s the passenger's seat is trapped behind a partition so it can't rotate to the rear. Another trade off because the area for heating can be minimized. The whole rig begs for intimacy .

Don't get me wrong, I love my 140 low roof and wouldn't trade for anything else, but in all love affairs there is a little heartbreak.

bill
Transporter 1 Neu 154HP
2500 140"WB, low top
Tank, the repurposed van
https://www.sprinter-source.com/foru...ad.php?t=76877

Last edited by billintomahawk; 09-08-2019 at 05:21 PM.
billintomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:21 PM   #22
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 6,819 Times in 4,306 Posts

Progress is progress, regardless of how slow or fast.

I would suggest a better retention method for those water tanks. That strap with tight bends and corners, will snap like so much dental floss in an accident. Then you have 180lbs of water heading towards your head...
The Following User Says Thank You to Midwestdrifter For This Useful Post:
gs850gx (09-10-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 02:33 PM   #23
gs850gx

Then you have 180lbs of water heading towards your head...

Yeah retention is a good topic. Currently have 2 500 lb rated straps criss-crossing over the tanks using the factory hold down points on either side of the wheel wells. Was strongly considering getting some 1000 lb straps. Any thoughts on whether the factory tie points are up to this? I can pretty easily buffer the plywood to strap contact points with some metal drywall edging I have laying around. There are 1" X 2.5" plywood strips screwed to the floor at the bottom front of each tank. I would like to avoid drilling a bunch of new holes through the floor if possible. Was also planning on using the factory lash points to retain the propane box and battery box as well as they were handy and at the right places but maybe they are not up to the job. Note that any bungees you see floating around in the build are strictly temporary. I've had a couple Elkhart RV's and never felt warm and fuzzy about some of the mounting, especially after a few years of water leaks and rot. All too common in commercial RV's.
gs850gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:42 PM   #24
Midwestdrifter

That 500lb rating is only in tension, it doesn't count de-rating from tight wraps around the factor hold downs, or the box edges. I would suggest seatbelt level strapping if possible. The best approach is a metal strap with 2-4 bolts through the floor with large backing washers. The factory hold downs are a welded in nut I believe. They are probably good for about 1,000lb or so, but the bolt may bend/shear before then. Blocking on the floor that is well secured is also important to prevent the item from shifting, which can cause strapping failure.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #25
gs850gx

Just checked my owners manual and there is no rating listed for the factory lash points but it does say they may fail under heavy braking or an accident. Then I checked out a couple of RV crash test videos on youtube and just want to say: Drive like your life depends on it and Be Careful. I'm taking another look at everything retained.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:23 AM   #26
gs850gx

A little more progress. Have the propane connected and furnace installed. It's a suburban NT16SEQ. Heats up the van maybe a little too quick. Propane locker is high - low vent both going outside. Still need to seal and gasket the locker. Cooler or fridge is going above the furnace cabinet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Furnace.jpg (60.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg LPLocker1.jpg (51.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg LPLocker2.jpg (66.1 KB, 35 views)
Old 10-20-2019, 04:34 AM   #27
gs850gx

Started the galley build. Fresh water and gray drain behind the side door. My Camplux water heater is mounting there as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Galley1.jpg (59.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DrainFill.jpg (51.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Galley2.jpg (67.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg SwPanel.jpg (77.4 KB, 35 views)
Old 10-20-2019, 04:48 AM   #28
gs850gx

And got the bed platforms in. They fold up if desired and are attached with eyes and hooks which act as a hinge and allow easy removal. Each bunk is 30" X 78". Seating and table with one bed up and that is also where the bicycles will park in transit. Sorry about the mess, stagers didn't show up. 8 1/2" space between bunks is just enough to shimmy in and out of bed easily. Wife has arthritis and doesn't crawl around well so needed everything easily accessible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BedDown.jpg (52.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg BedUp.jpg (65.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg SeatTable.jpg (52.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg BedExtR.jpg (71.6 KB, 39 views)
Old 10-20-2019, 12:25 PM   #29
Midwestdrifter

Some of those suburban heaters have a different burner/orifice to reduce heat output. It may be possible to source a low speed blower to go with it, and reduce noise.