Inverter or Inverter/Charger - Should I?

mtncrawler

Looking ahead at my next electrical systems upgrade, now that I have my basic system in place. Currently have the Kisae DMT1230 charging (alternator) my 2 (6V), 220AH Lifeline batteries.

My plan is to definitely add solar (200-250 watts) - most likely 2, 100W panels - as the Kisae already has the MPPT solar charge controller. Roughly a $200 add (making my own mounting brackets).

Then comes the question of inverter. My main purpose would be charge my MB Pro of 2011ish vintage - so I can't charge via 12VDC using the MagSafe. Costly laptop upgrade, so it's leading me down the path of installing an inverter. I may actually use it for other small appliances, so based on my battery bank size and potential uses - eyeballing a 1000W (which is a bit on the larger size for my battery bank). More specifically the Kisae 1210 PSW 1000 Watt model ($180).

Once my head goes down this path - I start to think/consider - do I need the ability to charge/run my system from A/C. Kisae makes another 1000W PSW inverter/charger for around $400.

I rarely (if ever) camp at sites that have power hook ups to take advantage of the A/C, but thinking more in terms of plugging in at home (winter?) to be able to maintain batteries if solar charging is weak (winter/Pacific NW travel)

For those that have and inverter, with solar and alternator charging only - and maybe choose to camp places that have little access to AC - do you wish you ever had the inverter/charger ability?

I'm looking at another $200 to just make the move ($400 total) - or not. For the price of the inverter/charger - I could do just the inverter and solar panels.

It's probably one of those things I'm overthinking - but as I'd like to "be done with it" I just wanted to get some feedback specific to my system. Anyone care to share your experiences with the same decision and similar system uses/sizes?

Kevsuda

I don't know how your use will exactly compare to mine. But I have a hardwired in separate AC charger and almost never use it. Solar is a no brainer to me. If you are talking about the charger just to maintain the house batt while stored, I'm confident your 200 watts will do that even with overcast skies. Now if you didn't have the alternator charging and you were coming home with deeply discharged batteries, then yes, a charger would be a very good idea. That said, I have the rarely used charger onboard and don't regret the install. Just another under utilized tool. Not a big deal either way.

Last edited:

mtncrawler

I don't know how your use will exactly compare to mine. But I have a hardwired in separate AC charger and almost never use it. Solar is a no brainer to me. If you are talking about the charger just to maintain the house batt while stored, I'm confident your 200 watts will do that even with overcast skies. Now if you didn't have the alternator charging and you were coming home with deeply discharged batteries, then yes, a charger would be a very good idea. That said, I have the rarely used charger onboard and don't regret the install. Just another under utilized tool. Not a big deal either way.
Thanks for chiming in...this is the kind of feedback I was looking for...

:popcorn:

sparkplug

I also asked myself the question about needing an inverter.

I've gone down the solar route and have that charging the vehicle battery which then comes back through to the house batteries on a VSR (yes, I know a battery to battery charger would have been better, but I didn't know that when I fitted the VSR and actually, it's been fine)

I also came up with the same potential obstacle to having a 12v only system being needing to be able to charge my MacBook.

The 12v solution came in cable form. I'm guessing that the 2011 model still had the magsafe 1?

It seems they still sell those (at least in the UK) and they're relatively inexpensive.

https://www.laptopartstore.co.uk/ap...1-macbook-pro-a1172-a1175-a1189-p-106987.html

Most sellers will list the MacBook model number compatibility and this is important as different models had different power requirements.

You may already know that the model number is on the underside of the laptop - but in case you didn't then this is what you would be looking for

https://i.postimg.cc/8zJdfb3S/KJq1-NJ66oah-MUZUa-huge.jpg

With that handy adaptor, I've managed to keep all my requirements to just 12v but I do still wonder if I should put an inverter in anyway 'just in case'. The jury is still out on that one!

Last edited:

Kevsuda

An inverter has been on my to-do list for the last couple of years and I've still not installed one. Honestly, I don't have anything to plug into it. I've been a avid camper for my whole life and have just learned to make do without 110V anything in my gear. I've bought a couple of up converters for the few items, like laptops etc., that can plug strait into a cig type plug.

In a campground situation where there are hookups, we have our hard mounted plug https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ANV81S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 that goes to this 3 position plug https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L0OSGXM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 that the charger is plugged into. We can also just plug in any 110V device strait into the two remaining positions next to the charger plug.

Last edited:

GSWatson

2013 144
I have the CTEK system, which does similar functions to the Kisae charger. I was visiting my mom in Florida and parking under the carport, out of the sun. Figuring I already had a proper charger in the MPPT charger, I got a quality (dell) laptop power supply and wired that to the solar panel input. The brick puts out stable 12a at 18vdc, and tricks the CTEK into thinking it’s a sunny day.

Got it a computer recycling center, $10.

Seemed like a no brainer, and worried great. The brick can get a little warm, so I mounted it with air space all around and good ventilation.

Cheers,
Greg

Hi GSWatson/Greg,

I was thinking about this solution to charging house batteries when connected to shore power and like the dual usage of your Kisae charger. I assume the laptop power supply takes the 120vac in and puts out the 18VDC. Nice! Do you have a way to auto-select the input to the Kisae solar panel input? Specifically, if you have shore power plugged in and good sun on the panels what happens?

GSWatson

2013 144
Hi GSWatson/Greg,

I was thinking about this solution to charging house batteries when connected to shore power and like the dual usage of your Kisae charger. I assume the laptop power supply takes the 120vac in and puts out the 18VDC. Nice! Do you have a way to auto-select the input to the Kisae solar panel input? Specifically, if you have shore power plugged in and good sun on the panels what happens?

I’m only plugged in when I’m under cover, so it’s pretty much an either/or. I just put ring terminals on the DC end of the laptop brick and connected those to the solar input on the CTEK.

It’s a rare enough occurrence that when I plug in, I just run an extension cord in through the back doors.

Cheers,
Greg

Last edited:

wankel7

Using a xantrex xc2000.... Inverter and charger. I rarely use shore power but having the option is nice and easy to add during the build.

mtncrawler

Thanks for all the comments folks.

GSWatson: That is an interesting work around! I actually have an extra Dell laptop charger.

Sparkplug: That's what I had been looking for, for a while. Appreciate the information - I've had to replace my battery and hard drive, so I' familiar with the model information re MacBook Pros. They must not sell in the States, as I can't find anything like that local. Wonder if they would ship?
EDIT: After searching under my model number - I did find this link. https://www.savingology.com/Product...MIlP-zxuS14gIVg8DACh0xOwmjEAQYAyABEgIXzfD_BwE

Kevsuda: Appreciate the outlet links. That would be something to pursue if I go the inverter/charger route.

More to think about..

Last edited:

ddunaway

I live in the PNW too.

I did get a 1000W inverter (Xantrex 806-1210 PROwatt SW True Sine Inverter) for about $225. I mostly just use it for heating water in a kettle in the summer, spring, fall. Inverter was not really needed ....a small 200W plug in inverter for ~$30 covers 90% of real needs.

More importantly, I did eventually decide a plug in charger was needed in the winter. My truckfridge will start to run down the battery in the winter in Seattle while parked. I could turn off the fridge when parked but then you need to empty it, and if you do not leave it open mold grows. I added a Genius 7A charger for ~ $100.

This all starts to get close to your $400.

Interesting is the cheap option of laptop supply feeding Kisae (you already have) to plug in charge + $30 plug in Square wave inverter to drive your laptop power brick in the other direction

Coast2Coast

2006 158 Cargo
Last edited:

Top Bottom