Thule- new awning option

Dhan

I have ordered the Hideaway Roof Mount awning #62002, but they did not have any roof mount adapters for Sprinter w OE rails. Does anybody have an extra set they want to sell (Part #301668)?

For all the Denver-Boulder Colorado area, sprinter owners.
I scored a great deal on a 10' Thule awning at McGuckin Hardware in Boulder. They having their sprint tent sale this week and they have 10% off on almost everything in the store.
Unfortunately I got the last 10' in stock but they said they would do 10% off on orders placed during sale.

Now to get someone to help me install it.

Montucky

Just wanted to let anyone know that I still have a single mounting bracket for the rack mount awning (Model no 490001) if anyone wants to use it on their setup. I bought 2 sets and used 3 to help the awning be more secure on the roof. $45 + shipping.

az7000'

2007 Navion on a 2006 3500 chassis
awning 5.jpg

My question looking at this picture is about rain, are these awnings only for sun? Sure seems like the water would run down the side right into the door or window openings, the second pic in the above post too.

Any users who can speak to this?

THE

2018, 144, HR, 4x4
az7000', that has been on my mind as well. I'm thinking some sort of diverter would be a great idea, just not sure what.

pwe312

It worked fine over night to keep some light rain away from our fire wood and gear. Heavy rain will definitely leak through and into the door if that's what you're trying to avoid.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

DirtDogg

We have produced a limited run of awning mounts. We did a test fit-up with an 8ft awning on a 170 which would not be a good choice because the sliding door when open will interfere where you would need to place the brackets for the support legs. The legs were actually about 6" short to reach the ground but they did work. Not sure if the legs on the 10ft are longer. We have VHB backed threaded pads for vehicle mounted leg brackets as well. Similar to what we offer for the Fiamma. We ordered the brackets direct from Thule. Here are some photos. Please contact Kim via DIYvan to get pricing and order. Recommend 3 mounts for 10 ft awning. Would not mount an 8ft awning on a Sprinter. Some photos:

prototype bracket installed. There are EDPM pads where bracket contacts the vehicle body.

I'm not seeing these on your ebay store. Are you planing to produce more? Any way you can angle then the brackets up more. Even with the grommets, its still pretty awkward to close the awning. It would also prevent scratches/paint damage to the van.

THE

2018, 144, HR, 4x4
It appears that the Thule Replacement Square Head Bolt 853-208909 is out of stock on Amazon. Looking at eTrailer it appears that they may have something similar/same.

I'm wondering where else to source this as I am mounting my Rack Mount to my custom roof rack where I'll be welding on plates to the rack and then mounting to the plates.

Amazon lists the general dimensions of the T bolt, I'm wondering how tough it would be to make my own?

Any advice/thoughts greatly appreciated.

TH

Montucky

View attachment 112127

My question looking at this picture is about rain, are these awnings only for sun? Sure seems like the water would run down the side right into the door or window openings, the second pic in the above post too.

Any users who can speak to this?
I was working on my van the other day in a light/moderate rain, and the partially extended awning did a good job of keeping rain away from the door, and nothing was leaking between the awning and the roof. I think this is because the factory roof rail is recessed into the Sprinter roof which creates a lip that keeps water on the roof side. I don't know how well it would work in a downpour, but in moderate rain it worked great.

Last edited:

THE

2018, 144, HR, 4x4
Found elevator bolts at ACE and Lowes, the 5/16-18 and 3/8-16 both look beefy enough but will need to be modified to fit into the T-slot on the awning (cut flat head to slide into slot). I've looked at the ASME specs and these bolts are pretty tough.

I bought one home to trial fit and check it out. I'll post the results. They're less expensive, strong, and readily available.

Also, looks like if you do a search on Amazon for Thule Roof Rack Fairing Replacement Square Head Bolt M6 x 26-853208909 they are available and in stock at $4.95 each plus shipping. So for 12 that's about $64 shipped, for some dang bolts!

TH

Last edited:

hein

Van Guru
I'm not seeing these on your ebay store. Are you planing to produce more? Any way you can angle then the brackets up more. Even with the grommets, its still pretty awkward to close the awning. It would also prevent scratches/paint damage to the van.
We have had enough requests that we will have more made.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan

hein

Van Guru
How soon do you think these brackets will be available? Will 3 mounts work on a low top?
The distance between the ridge at the top of the wall and roof rail is more on a low roof and our current bracket design does not fit. I will take a look to see if we can updated the design for your application.

All the best,
Hein

The distance between the ridge at the top of the wall and roof rail is more on a low roof and our current bracket design does not fit. I will take a look to see if we can updated the design for your application.

All the best,
Hein
Thanks, I was afraid of that third mount in the middle might not work. I have a 10' ready to install.

zipperje

Hate to admit it but I am now thoroughly confused about which mounting brackets are best for the 10' Thule Hideaway, mounted on OEM roof rails. I bought my awning last summer and used 2 of the stock Thule brackets (just an L bracket) available at the time. Now I want to upgrade my brackets to a threesome to resist some of that torque and hopefully bring the awning out a little from the rail to provide better clearance for the crank.

Has anybody used this? It seems to be a redesign from the predrilled and powder coated L-brackets I used last summer. http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/van-accessories/awning-accessories/thule-adapters-for-roof-mount-_-301668

Top Bottom