4.182 axle ratio on a 2500?

PeterW

2019 4x4 Sprinter 170 2500, will be converted to a live-in bike/ski base. Trying to finalize the options for the build, and while I've searched the forum and know this has been talked about repeatedly I'm still uncertain as to whether to get the 4.182 axle ratio or stick with the standard 3.923.

- As it's a 2500, with the conversion and fully loaded it'll be running at or near GVWR.
- Will do a lot of driving in the mountains.
- Will be putting larger tires on for off road use.
- Will not be pulling a trailer.

Thoughts?

(potentially useful thread outside sprinter source: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f11/axle-ratio-3-92-v-4-18-a-17536.html )

Is that supposed to be a trick question?

4.182. You're going to be heavily loaded, at elevation, in the mountains.

Oversized tires will only make it worse.

Bjorgens

Looking at the 2019 dealer order guide, the 4.182 ratio isn’t available on 2500 4x4 vans... only on 2WD models

Marko888

4.182 is available on 2500 144 4x4 in Canada, so should be available in US too. Try a build on mbvans.ca. 4.182 Ratio is available on top row of the options page...and was available when I spec’d my van on deposit day.

PeterW

No trick question, just no prior knowledge on the subject :) Thanks The Grand Tour!

The dealer ordering guide for Canada and the online builder has AR3 4.182 axle ratio as an option (we're ordering in Canada as Marko888 did), but its not showing in the dealer's build tool- dealer is trying to find out why from MB Canada.

Top Bottom