255x85x16 for the 2019?

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
If the production specs for the euro van are right, I’m guessing no. The 2019 comes with a 2” smaller tire than the ncv3

surferJ

Sorry, just thought someone might know. Thanks wrinkled, that makes sense.

I’m still looking as an option, a new convert through Hymer and 2018’s are no longer available to order.

The price of this though is keeping me looking at the used 2015-2018 market.

surferJ

According to the upfitters guide. Stock tires will be the same size as the current 4x4
So I’ve ordered my van through a refitter and have to be patient, as the above post points out production hasn’t begun yet.

The refitter offers a 245/75 16 reflecting what your table shows but I am just taking it with whatever is stock and will take a closer look when delivered. Regarding the general thread on the 255/85 16, it does hit the limit on the older models and will have to wait and see how the new one pans out. Especially as my spare will be mounted below.

surferJ

So it has finally gotten here. Except for a few security add-ons I was able to get all the work done before delivery. The tires were the only item left open. Knowing that we will all tend to go our own way with the tires on a 4x4 the van arrived with the stock goods - 225/75/16. Keeping her on the stock rims is the plan.

My original idea 255/85/16 which at first seemed tough but doable as far as fitting the under carried spare, also seems to have some issues with the effect on the Distronic system.

I have been spending much time searching the forum tire discussions but don’t feel much wiser.

As of now I was tending towards 255/70/16 to keep within the rim width limits. This would give a traction gain but not really improve the visual. The 85’s do fill the wheel well up nicely but I worry about the effects on the automatic van systems from the big diameter change. The 235/85/16 is also peaking my interest except for the unknown effects.

MB locally is no help, ‘do not stray from stock’.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

marc1

Very nice. CS Reismobile Independent ?? I have run run four different size tires on my 2017 4x4. 245/75/16, 265/75/16, 255/85/16 and 235/85/16. Out of that group I will go back to the 235/85/16. Seems to work best for me. Very little loss of power, airs down nice and digs in well when needed.

Sctn

2019 170 4x4 Crew-SMB West
Totally off topic...but you euros can build houses. My eye went to your house instead of the van and that’s saying a lot.

I don’t have my van yet, but I plan to keep it on stock rims as well, I’ll be keeping an eye out for what you end up doing. Thanks!

surferJ

Totally off topic...but you euros can build houses. My eye went to your house instead of the van and that’s saying a lot.

I don’t have my van yet, but I plan to keep it on stock rims as well, I’ll be keeping an eye out for what you end up doing. Thanks!
That’s my outfitters house in the east Germany. Now that you mention it, it does look tight.

surferJ

Very nice. CS Reismobile Independent ?? I have run run four different size tires on my 2017 4x4. 245/75/16, 265/75/16, 255/85/16 and 235/85/16. Out of that group I will go back to the 235/85/16. Seems to work best for me. Very little loss of power, airs down nice and digs in well when needed.
Yes, that is her pedigree.
Thanks for your tire history. Did the 235/85/16 fit in the under spare spot?
My biggest concern would be the effect of the increased circumference on the Distronic system.

marc1

Yes, the 235/85/16 will fit in the spare tire carrier. Also check "Van Compass's" website, they do lifts and suspension work on the 2020 platform and believe that size is a non issue for the Distronic system.

surferJ

So I went for the BFG M/T 235/85 16. They seem to fit the truck nicely and at overall weight of 7000lbs they are all, front and back, at 43psi to start.
Too bad no Michelin’s for the terrain available, the ones on my MasseyFergerson have held up well.

The only detail to work out is the storage. In the cage as is wasn’t even close. These tires have too much tread. Not wanting to be in the position someday of a roadside change and a difficult spare, the plan is to modify the cage starting with the forward bolted hinge and maybe the sides. When the weather improves ill pull that off and check it out.

Attachments

marc1

Perfect size Imho. I had those on my last sprinter. Currently running 255/85/16 but will go back to that size when these ware out

surferJ

I have pored over various other threads here showing mods to the carrier if that is what you mean. Going to take another look. I am open to any ideas.

surferJ

Thanks a lot.
I just got out from under, measuring the space and I can see it should just fit. If possible a small change to the hitch wiring route should help too.

Top Bottom