Headlights - low and high beam

gilee

2006 Sprinter 2500 Camper
Hi guys,
After 3 full months.... And with luck, I got my temporary License Plate. (Wethersfield DMV)

Well, now I only have till Friday to have my Van ready for RV Inspection, safety and emission.....

Yesterday was my first time "truely" driving across town and highway :cheers:, first time at night too, and I found out all my headlights are OFF. Well, 3 out of 4.
Both my DRL is working.... Both low beam is off, and only my right side high beam work.

I checked the fuses, they are good. I checked the bulbs too. All good.
Do you guys have any other suggestions I should look into? My hazard light never works (but my signal does). I wonder if this is related?

Thank you guys!!

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
DLRs are the low beams. So I don't understand that description. But all of those things do go through the turn signal multi-switch. The switch does wear out. both the turn signal, lights and wiper controls are all on one big switch around the steering wheel.
Use a volt meter to test at the lights. Some people report quite brittle wiring so you should also check the wires near the headlight plugs.

Esquivelia

I had to replace my multi switch. Pretty easy. I opted for the cheaper ($45) version. All works well but every once and a while it makes some clicking sounds when not engaged.
This video was pretty helpful:
https://youtu.be/HCB1UQo4qvs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To my knowledge the DRL headlights aren't controlled at all by the multi-function switch. There are two headlamp relays under the driver seat. Those relays have a separate control scheme.

:cheers: vic

gilee

2006 Sprinter 2500 Camper
Screenshot_20180610-143847_Photos.jpg
To my knowledge the DRL headlights aren't controlled at all by the multi-function switch. There are two headlamp relays under the driver seat. Those relays have a separate control scheme.

Thanks everyone.
So DRLs = Low Beam??
When I took off the head lights, (other than signal light) i saw both my headlights has 3 sets of bulbs ...
I would thought DRL, Low & High Beam. Screenshot_20180610-143847_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20180610-144218_Photos.jpg
Am I wrong or confused?

Still learning.... Sorry if stupid question.

Last edited:

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
The little one that is pulled out is just a marker light. It lights with the parking lights. That spot that is not open is the Fog light. Looking at the wires in the upper right shows a potential problem.

The wiring gets a bit complex. There are relays under the seat that control the headlights. The power from the light switch on the stalk go to these relays. There are fuses that pass the DLR power and they can be removed to kill the DLRs. The power from the fuses go to the NC connection on the relays. The relays must be in place to operate the headlights.

The wiring gets a bit complex. There are relays under the seat that control the headlights. The power from the light switch on the stalk go to these relays. There are fuses that pass the DLR power and they can be removed to kill the DLRs. The power from the fuses go to the NC connection on the relays. The relays must be in place to operate the headlights.
I'm quite certain that is incorrect.

Some schematics are here.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=584921#post584921

Be aware of the "Except DRL" notes.

Scroll down to schematic 8w-10-27.

To add sh*t to the game 8w-10-27 incorrectly makes it appear that the DRL low beam relays as being fed through the multi-function switch. If you refer to other diagrams, the connection that they show as going to the DRL relay is the "Park" position. That would not work.

8w-10-26 is *most likely* correct in showing the relay low beam power as coming from Fuse Block #2 aka FB #2.

My 2004 DRL relay feed for the right/left low beams is FB #2 position #10, #11 as shown in the 2004 Fuse Map in this post #1.
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24683

There are no DRL fuse positions listed in FB #1 as shown here. (DRL fuses are all found in FB#2.)
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=223573#post223573

My 2006 has no low beam headlamp relays. The power is fed directly through the multi-function switch as correctly shown in the *some* schematics.

:2cents: vic

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

...Looking at the wires in the upper right shows a potential problem.
:thinking: disconnect chassis battery and spend a few hours cleaning all connections and replacing all wires with brittle insulation.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

marshroger@hotmail.com

2006,2500,118, Passenger

... Do daytime running lights equal low beam?
Yes. Low Beam aka Dipped headlamps are used by Mercedes for the T1N front DRL.

The low beam lamps are powered by relays under the driver seat for DRL mode. The headlamps can also be powered using the MFS stalk switch with or without the engine running.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
You'll notice a dimmer white bulb in the low front. This comes on with the parking light setting (or DRL).
The low beams are the upper and high beams are the inner.
There is also the fog lights that are optional. This is a brighter bulb that is also in the lower front zone.
DRL turns on the tail, side markers and low beam headlights while the engine is running. (Three different fuses (Left low, right low, markers) This does not allow you to turn on high beams or have dash lights (heater, switches, radio).
So driving along at night and you can't find the heater knobs and you have to pull back and hold to get high beams (Passing flash).
The first rotate position is parking lights. The second position is headlights. With this on, things work like normal.
The parking position also has the feature that you can turn the left or right signal to only turn on that side of the marker lights.

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
My stalk twists *back* one click to enable the parking lights, then pushing it up/dn (turn signals) switches them on, lighting up the right/left side lamps, powered without the key. A nice option when parked on the edge of a dark road, and better than disorienting 4-way flashers.

2004, no DRLs, no fog lamps...

Twisting forward one click gives me tail, front clearance, dash, and the little white front lamps.
I’ve made a habit of using this when driving - I’m not worried about being noticed :)lol:)!but DRLs have been required in Canada for 30+ years, so a dark nose can draw attention.

-dave

Your down click and side select is a Mercedes, maybe German option. The running lights and small white front lamps are traditional parking lights.

My 2004 has the DRL option. The 2006 doesn't. I checked on DRL for Canada.

Twisting forward one click gives me tail, front clearance, dash, and the little white front lamps.
I’ve made a habit of using this when driving - I’m not worried about being noticed :)lol:)!but DRLs have been required in Canada for 30+ years, so a dark nose can draw attention.

-dave
DRL Headlights on during the daytime are not "Required" in Canada. If the DRL system are included in the vehicle lighting then a Canadian registered vehicle is required that they work.

I do turn on the 2006 headlights while driving in Canada. Walk like a duck. While I'm driving my 2006 NYS registered truck in Canada and I forget to turn on my headlights during daylight hours I am technically not violating any Canadian traffic laws. At least that was my interpretation after doing some research.

:2cents: vic

Last edited:

glasseye

Frito is a NAFTA T1N, sold in the USA and imported into Canada by me. DRLs were then mandatory and I had to prove they worked as part of his importation inspection.

I think that DRLs are mandatory for vehicles manufactured after a certain date when they were made so. Older vehicles are "grandfathered" and you still see them on the road occasionally.

They're obvious because they're much harder to see. :idunno:

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I replaced my headlights this year with Freightliner headlights with the fog lights. I wired the fogs to be controlled by a dash switch and only be on with the DRLs I pulled the fuses for the DRL headlights. So I only have the marker lights while driving unless I flip the switch to also have fog lights. So my Fogs act like DRLs. My headlights come on when I turn them on.
Here are some pictures.
Fog.jpg
Fog, parking lights are always on.
Low and fog.jpg
Low beam with fog

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
DRL are not "Required" in Canada. If the DRL are included in the vehicle lighting then a Canadian registered vehicle is required that they work.
That is incorrect. While you can operate a visiting vehicle in Canada without DRLs, our Motor Vehicle Act and Regulations have required that all vehicles sold in or imported into Canada shall be equipped with “automatic and non-switchable daytime running lights” since December 1, 1989 (vehicles registered prior to that date remain exempt; I don’t know where foreign classic cars stand but expect they’re still exempt too) My van escaped this scrutiny when it was imported by a previous owner, but it would fail a safety inspection (Alberta doesn’t require an inspection when transferring a registration) and I know that Canadian car dealerships still regularly get imported USA-market used vehicles coming in to have DRL systems installed (sometimes from scratch) so they can be imported and registered in Canada.

-dave

See: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/C.R.C.,_c._1038/section-sched4.html
Daytime Running Lamps

(25) Subsections (26) to (30) apply to passenger cars, multi-purpose passenger vehicles, trucks, buses and three-wheeled vehicles.

(26) Every vehicle shall be equipped with daytime running lamps

Last edited:

That is incorrect. While you can operate a visiting vehicle in Canada without DRLs, our Motor Vehicle Act and Regulations have required that all vehicles sold in or imported into Canada shall be equipped with “automatic and non-switchable daytime running lights” since December 1, 1989 (vehicles registered prior to that date remain exempt; I don’t know where foreign classic cars stand but expect they’re still exempt too) ...
Not really incorrect. I didn't communicate well.

I corrected my statement.

DRL Headlights on during the daytime are not "Required" in Canada. If the DRL system are included in the vehicle lighting then a Canadian registered vehicle is required that they work.
To my knowledge it is not a law in Canada that you must operate your headlights during daylight hours. The law is that those vehicles which are required to have an automatic DRL system must keep them operable. That is why your newer vehicle cannot be registered in Canada until it has an operable automatic DRL system. Not that everyone is required by law to turn on their headlights during daylight hours.

See: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/C.R.C.,_c._1038/section-sched4.html
Daytime Running Lamps

(25) Subsections (26) to (30) apply to passenger cars, multi-purpose passenger vehicles, trucks, buses and three-wheeled vehicles.

(26) Every vehicle shall be equipped with daytime running lamps
Your reference doesn't say that headlights must be on. It states that they "shall be equipped" with [automatic] daytime running lights. When equipped, they must be operable.

That is why I won't, or shouldn't, get pulled over or ticketed while driving in Canada if I forget to turn on my 2006 headlights during the day. (I do try to remember to turn them on.)

Maybe semantics, but the bottom line is that because my 2006 is not equipped with DRL, when in Canada I am ok if I forget to switch on my headlights. I suppose technically I could be ticketed if my 2004 DRL's fail to work.

Added:
This basically agrees with my interpretation.

https://www.ahainsurance.ca/car-insurance/is-it-illegal-to-drive-without-daytime-running-lights/

Last edited:

Top Bottom