Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 10-05-2019, 01:06 PM   #121
TampaSteve
2018/2019 Unity CB

Default Re: Refrigerator upgrade question

My shiny new Isotherm Cruise 219 is now unpacked in my garage. :-) It survived the truck delivery although it has a slight manufacturing defect in the freezer door. Almost like a tiny crease below the surface. I've asked Defender for a replacement door even though you can hardly see it.

As an aside, the fridge setting is a true thermostat, so as far as I can see setting it to 7 will have no increase in "time to cool" performance, right? It seems to me that its the equivalent of a home thermostat, i.e., set at your preference, and forget it. The only advantage I can see in setting it at 7 would be to "bank" extra cold before heading into an area that's going to be hot.

After running empty for 16 hours in my super hot garage (90 degrees plus) I noticed that the the side and front interior walls are still quite warm (45 degrees or so) on a setting of "3", while the back wall was frigid.

I'm guessing maybe you still use an interior fan to toss some air around and even that out? (Although I am thinking that having it full of food will somewhat normalize the interior temperatures.)

Otherwise it seems quiet and smooth. I started taking my RV apart. Pulled the microwave first and and going to pull the Dometic today. Looking at the trim that I am going to have to remove and rip 1/2" from, on the CB that would be the right side.

After pulling the microwave and examining it, I didn't see how its connected, and I am wondering if its actually glued which might make removing it a chore.

Hopefully when I pull the fridge it will be more obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTraveler View Post
We just got back from a tripáto Hunting Island, SC and it was between 95-100░. I was super pleased with the Isotherm 219 performance. I started it up in my driveway on setting 7 and turned on my extra fan. After 2 hours it was at 40░ (temperature gauge on the top door shelf) and I loaded it with all our food and drinks, already cold from our house Refrigerator/freezer, and the temperature went to 50 degrees. I left it on 7 and in less than an hour it was back down to 40░. I turned it down to 4 and left my extra fan on as we started our drive. About 5 hours later we pulled into our campsite and setup the door temperature was still at less than 41░. I turned the setting down to about 3.25 and turned my extra fan off. The Isotherm performed perfectly, the door shelf temperature never got above 41░ and by using the double Camco bars in the back nothing touched the back wall or froze. The beverages were wonderfully cold even off the door shelves (we keep water bottles for handy quick drinking). The freezer was in the negative temperatures and the ice cubes stayed wonderfuly loose and it was a pleasure to reach in and grab a few cubes for our drinks. I didn't run the extra fan driving home and the temperatures never changed while on battery. My new Blue Sea ML-ACR charged the house batteries perfectly while driving so all is worry free now! I think I will continue to run the extra fan as part of my startup and first day of driving but after that I don't think I need it. But I'll get smarter on how to best operate my Isotherm compressor Refrigerator now that I have removed the biggest hurdle, the outside temperature exposure.á
TampaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:23 PM   #122
SSTraveler
2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

Thanked 1,576 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougandBobbi View Post
Dumb question - did you apply the tape to the existing rubber seal or remove the seal altogether and replace with the magnetic tape? Thanks for this suggestion! I have an Amazon order going today - I will add this to it!
The magnetic tape goes around the opening on the Refrigerator body, leave the rubber magnetic seal around the door. The magnetic tape around the opening increases the rubber seal's attraction strength to give you a stronger seal.
The Following User Says Thank You to SSTraveler For This Useful Post:
DougandBobbi (10-05-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 04:43 PM   #123
SSTraveler
2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

Thanked 1,576 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaSteve View Post
My shiny new Isotherm Cruise 219 is now unpacked in my garage. :-) It survived the truck delivery although it has a slight manufacturing defect in the freezer door. Almost like a tiny crease below the surface. I've asked Defender for a replacement door even though you can hardly see it.

As an aside, the fridge setting is a true thermostat, so as far as I can see setting it to 7 will have no increase in "time to cool" performance, right? It seems to me that its the equivalent of a home thermostat, i.e., set at your preference, and forget it. The only advantage I can see in setting it at 7 would be to "bank" extra cold before heading into an area that's going to be hot.

After running empty for 16 hours in my super hot garage (90 degrees plus) I noticed that the the side and front interior walls are still quite warm (45 degrees or so) on a setting of "3", while the back wall was frigid.

I'm guessing maybe you still use an interior fan to toss some air around and even that out? (Although I am thinking that having it full of food will somewhat normalize the interior temperatures.)

Otherwise it seems quiet and smooth. I started taking my RV apart. Pulled the microwave first and and going to pull the Dometic today. Looking at the trim that I am going to have to remove and rip 1/2" from, on the CB that would be the right side.

After pulling the microwave and examining it, I didn't see how its connected, and I am wondering if its actually glued which might make removing it a chore.

Hopefully when I pull the fridge it will be more obvious.
Yeah, I just figured out it doesn't matter whether you start it up on 4 or 7. Once I get it to a door temperature of 40░, I just set it and forget it. I don't have any fans inside, you don't need to bank extra cold, it works just like the Refrigerator in your house. You really need to use it to get to know what setting is best. I think 3-1/4 is perfect, now that I can keep stuff off the back wall so it doesn't freeze. I'm not sure what you are referring to on the microwave. Send me a personal message email if you need more details or have questions and I'll try to help during your project.